The Mercury News out of the Bay Area has listed what they believe to be the 11 greatest grunge albums. I read this list and article with great interest considering the majority of what I listen to was released during the golden era of grunge.
Here is their list.
- "Nevermind," Nirvana
- "In Utero," Nirvana
- "Ten," Pearl Jam
- "Dirt," Alice in Chains
- "Vs.," Pearl Jam
- "Temple of the Dog," Temple of the Dog
- "Core," Stone Temple Pilots
- "Sweet Oblivion," Screaming Trees
- "Singles (Original Soundtrack)," various artists
- "Bricks Are Heavy," L7
- "Badmotorfinger," Soundgarden
The Mercury News did a great job. Every album on thier list is spun by me on a regular basis except for their selections from Screaming Trees and L7. In fact, if I were to compose my favourite 10 grunge albums, I'd have an eerily similar list. I'm spinning Dirt from Alice in Chains right now and it's a complete coincidence, I swear!