Toronto Mike


Total 302 Posts

10 Songs With Mother in the Title

Happy Mother's Day to my mom and all the mothers out there. Here's a list of ten songs with mother in the title.  They're all great songs, even if a few of them aren't exactly on message with today's celebration. Mother and Child Reunion - Paul SimonGood Mother - Jann
Continue Reading

My 10 Favourite Movies of All-Time

Because Argie asked for it, here's an update to an entry I wrote over seven years ago. Here are my 10 favourite movies of all-time: Pulp FictionGoodfellasThe Godfather: Part 2Django UnchainedThe Shawshank RedemptionThe Godfather: Part 1Reservoir DogsKill Bill - Volumes 1&2Fight ClubBig FishWhat does your top ten look
Continue Reading

5 of My Favourite Things

For no particular reason, and in no particular order, here are five of my favourite things these days.  And no, these things aren't better than my kids or my lady friend or my family or anything like that, these are just five things I thoroughly enjoy. The New DiggThis isn't
Continue Reading

2012 Polaris Music Prize Short List Nominees

The 2012 Polaris Prize nominees have been unveiled. Cadence Weapon - Hope In Dirt CityCold Specks - I Predict A Graceful ExpulsionDrake - Take CareKathleen Edwards - VoyageurFeist - MetalsFucked Up - David Comes to LifeGrimes - VisionsHandsome Furs - Sound KapitalJapandroids - Celebration RockYAMANTAKA // SONIC TITAN - YT // ST
Continue Reading

The Best Grunge Albums

Exactly 8 years ago today, I wrote about the 11 greatest grunge albums.  That entry received zero comments.  I'm hoping we can beat that record today. Here's the list from 8 years ago: Nevermind - NirvanaIn Utero - NirvanaTen - Pearl JamDirt - Alice in ChainsVs. - Pearl JamTemple of
Continue Reading

Top 20 Countries by Population

According to Wikipedia, here are the twenty most populated countries.RankCountry (or dependent territory)Population% of world population-World6,984,300,000100.00%1 China[4]1,339,724,85219.18%2 India1,210,193,42217.33%3 United States312,856,0004.48%4 Indonesia237,641,3263.4%5 Brazil192,376,
Continue Reading

Crazy Shit About Kim Jong Il

Kim Jong Il is dead.  That's a great reason to dust off these 17 bizarre details about the Dear Leader's life, blatantly stolen from The Daily Mirror. 1. His official biography claimed his birth was foretold by a swallow and led to the appearance of a double rainbow along with
Continue Reading

Coolest Christmas Songs

Christmas music is everywhere.  You can't escape it, I think they're now piping it through the sewage system.  Christmas music cannot be avoided at this time of year. Most Christmas music is pretty awful.  In fact, about 98% of Christmas music is terrible, which only leaves us 2%.  Damn I'm
Continue Reading

Born in Edmonton

Edmonton is the northernmost North American city with a metropolitan population over one million. I'll bet you didn't know all of these fine folks were born in Edmonton. Michael J. FoxW. P. Kinsellak.d. langMark MessierRobert GouletMarshall McLuhanScott NiedermayerNellie McClungMoe BergJill HennessyTommy ChongDion PhaneufBruce McCullochJarome IginlaThere are others.  Who's your
Continue Reading