Image source: unsplash.com
A beautiful smile depends on simple dental care habits. But, some people still neglect proper dental hygiene.
Below are some tips to help you care for your teeth. These tips can help prevent dental health problems and can give you a sparkling smile.
1. Always Brush Your Teeth Before Bedtime
Brushing your teeth twice a day is good practice. But, some people neglect to brush their teeth before going to bed.
You must brush your teeth before bedtime. It gets rid of plaque that piles up throughout the day.
2. Drink Plenty of Water
Water is good for the body, including your teeth. Water can help negate the effects of sticky and acidic foods and beverages.
3. Have a Healthy Diet
Canned foods are convenient, but not so much when it comes to your oral health.
Eating fresh and crunchy produce is ideal for healthy teeth. These don't only contain more fiber, but they're also the best choice for your teeth.
Sweet food turns into acid in the mouth, which can then erode the enamel. Eating sweets can cause cavities.
Aside from sweet products, acidic fruits, teas, and coffee is also bad for the enamel.
4. Learn How to Brush Your Teeth Properly
The way you brush is vital for proper dental hygiene. Below are crucial pointers to remember when brushing your teeth:
- Move the toothbrush in gentle, circular motions for two minutes. Don't brush immediately after eating, especially if you ate acidic food. Brush the outside, inside, and chewing areas of your teeth.
- Plaque can also accumulate on your tongue. This is why it's essential to use a tongue cleaner or brush your tongue, too.
- It's ideal to floss to remove pieces of food stuck between the teeth. Flossing is good for stimulating the gums and reducing plaque.
- Toothpaste that contains fluoride works best. It can combat germs that can cause decay. It can also protect your teeth.
- You can use an electric or battery-operated toothbrush. These products can lower plaque. They're helpful if you have conditions that make it hard to brush your teeth, like arthritis.
- Don't neglect to clean your dental hygiene equipment. Remember to rinse your toothbrush with running water after brushing.
- Keep your toothbrush in an upright position and air-dry it until you need to use it again.
- Separate your toothbrush from other toothbrushes in the same holder. Doing this can prevent cross-contamination.
- Don't cover your toothbrush or keep them in closed containers. Doing this can help the growth of bacteria, yeast, and mold.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months. It's best to replace it sooner if the bristles flay or they become irregular.
5. Visit Your Dentist
According to Health Canada, 5.5% of Canadians have untreated cavities. This number highlights the importance of dental care in the country.
You can help resolve this issue by visiting a dental office in Hamilton or other dentists near you. Drop by your dentist for cleanings and checkups at least twice a year.
A dentist can check your teeth and help remove cavities. They can also diagnose potential issues and offer proper treatment solutions.
Regular dentist visits can help prevent gum disease and other oral health problems. Remember that early detection can help ensure a lifetime of good dental health.