Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 484: Gord Martineau

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 484In this 484th episode, Mike chats with legendary CityTV news anchor Gord Martineau about his years at CityTV, the great personalities he worked with, his cameo in Dirty Work, why he's no longer on the air and much, much more. This episode is exactly 1:26:25.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Gord Martineau and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou and Kapadia LLP.

Palma Pasta   glb   StickerYou

Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   Kapadia LLP   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

A rare opportunity for me to watch the cake being baked and it was definitely an electric experience!!
And Mr. Martineau's fair, balanced and well-measured response to issues raised by Anne Mroczkowki
during her TM'd appearance was well worth the wait. I haven't caught CityNews in years, but based on
my limited exposure to the current incarnation, many of the still-surviving names mentioned throughout the episode are sorely missed. Younger and cheaper isn't always better. 'Tis a real
shame that distance and perhaps other age-related issues prevent the likes of Dick Smyth and
Peter Silverman from visiting Mike's hallowed basement. And most obviously it is quite sad that
Mark Dailey never had the opportunity either.

July 9, 2019 @ 2:11 PM

Beatts

Downloaded this for the drive home. Can't wait. Peter and I live in the same town. I'll pick him up one day and drive him over to be on the show (I want two 6 packs mind you)

July 9, 2019 @ 3:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts
If you can pull that one off, such a charitable act would undoubtedly make you the All-Time, Numero Uno Amigo of the Toronto Mike'd Universe!! (Sorry, Cheryl, and I guess Bob Segar(r) as well!!!)

July 9, 2019 @ 3:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Sorry, I clearly meant Bobb Seagarr above. Would certainly hate to get caught in a heated SHAKEDOWN with that ornery cuss of an Alter Kocker!!

July 9, 2019 @ 3:46 PM

H.o.E.

@bsmntdwllr73 - We're getting way off topic, but after checking setlist.fm and pollstar it looks Cheryl's fave has avoided Toronto on his retirement tour ("The Last Turd" would have been a great name for it, former name of his band). And why would the last show be Chicago? Maybe there could one or two more added, with the finale presumably in Detroit.

July 9, 2019 @ 4:57 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Gord always looks great! Looking forward to listening to this Mike.

July 9, 2019 @ 5:43 PM

Barry

That was fun to listen to, especially hearing Gord talk about the memorable CityTV personalities of yesteryear.

I thought he was a little evasive when talking about the "issues." He really didn't express any remorse for the homophobic mockery of Roch Voisine, and instead seemed to carry anger about the release of the video. And his response to Anne Mroczkowki's claims amounted to "nope, don't know what she's talking about." And while it's entirely possible -- perhaps likely -- that there was some bad communication that made Anne think things were worse than they were, it's hard to imagine that their frosty relationship was a figment of her imagination. Somewhere between "Gord didn't talk to me for four years" and "I talked to her all the time" is the real story. If she mischaracterized things or made Gord look worse than he deserved, it would have been nice for him to at least acknowledge that things were not great and maybe at least show that he has an idea what she's talking about. When he pretty much shrugs his shoulders and dismisses her whole story, it makes it easier for listeners to suspect that there's more truth in Anne's story than Gord would like to admit.

July 10, 2019 @ 2:54 PM

Al The Royal Pain

I'm with @Barry. His response to Anne's clip was pretty empty. Otherwise it was a great episode! Rich with Gord's past experiences, his feelings towards past colleagues, and the industry in general, but just a little light on the two "controversial" items...but really what should we expect to say about those?

July 10, 2019 @ 5:05 PM

dale

Peter Gross let go as sports commentator on 680 news, Sportsnet & City Pulse for so many years.
I will miss his commentary & especially his wit.

July 10, 2019 @ 8:11 PM

Chuck 99

I did see Gord anchor a Global newscast in 1980 and he looked like a man who would rather be anywhere than on that news set. The situation sounded very dysfunctional, so I can understand why he departed after eleven shows.

July 11, 2019 @ 8:05 PM

Nebojša

Watching 70-year-old Gord on Periscope, still handsome with a full head of hair (likely strategically dyed), reminds me of a mid-to-late 1990s conversation I heard on the old Humble & Fred CFNY morning show that made me chuckle...... Howard and Freddie P are bantering back and forth between songs and one of them brings up something to the effect that “Gord Martineau, mister big shot anchorman over on City-TV, is getting $300,000 - 400,000 per year in salary”. After more jealous banter, the conversation concluded with Humble Howard sighing: “God, I hate being an ugly man! .... Now here’s the Smashing Pumpkins on Edge 102”.

As for this particular appearance, Gord comes off a bit cold, speaking in a somewhat terse manner almost to the point of being curt. When it comes to the reason many (perhaps most) Toronto Mike’d listeners wanted to hear from him, he basically dismissed Anne Mroczkowski as “being ridiculous”. I don’t know, based on their respective TM’d appearances, her version of events seems more believable.

Also, you moved off the Anne thing a bit too quickly, Mike, without playing the part where she talks about “Gord phoning her right after Rogers fired her from City-TV, thus finally breaking the alleged 3-year period of not speaking to his co-anchor, just to tell her that Rogers actually wanted to fire him first but couldn’t since his contract was structured in a way that would’ve cost them too much money at that particular time”. However, it's not like I don't understand your desire to move it along as Gord got uppity and tense as soon as you mentioned her name. And he wasn't even all that relaxed to begin with as he already looked sour from addressing the hot-mic situation right before that. All in all, this didn't seem like a breezy hang.

July 11, 2019 @ 9:38 PM

the brother

A breezy hang it definitely wasn't which made the Periscope broadcast all the more enticing! Mike was kinda scared of Gord! Great episode!!

July 12, 2019 @ 9:15 AM

Barry

I didn't think Mike seemed intimidated. I mean, after Molly Johnson, I would think there's some pretty thick skin there. I think it was pretty clear that Gord did not want to be talking about Anne and had said as much as he wanted to on the subject, so at a certain point I think a host has to remember that the person in the studio is a guest, and that if they're given an opportunity to respond to allegations and choose to only offer a couple of dismissive comments, there's no point pursuing it. In the grand scheme of things, a frosty relationship between co-workers is pretty minor -- it's not like she accused him of abuse or harassment -- so I'm not sure there was any value to hammering away.

July 12, 2019 @ 10:45 AM

Lou Schizas

Hey Mike - great episode - I liked your pitch to bring Gord on as you co-host - keep working that angle - Just like your sports program with Mark.

July 13, 2019 @ 11:13 AM

Boomer

This didn't sound like a comfortable episode like most usually are. Even before the hot mike and Ann discussion he seems very standoffish. To me he was in the top 5 of guests with a big ego.

July 15, 2019 @ 2:37 PM