Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 467: Leo Rautins

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 467In this 467th episode, Mike chats with the "kid from Keele Street", Raptors TV analyst and former NBA player Leo Rautins about growing up in Toronto, being an NCAA star, being the first Canadian drafted in the first round of the NBA draft and covering the Toronto Raptors since day one. This episode is exactly 1:58:07.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Leo Rautins and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou, Camp Tournesol and Kapadia LLP.

Palma Pasta   glb   StickerYou   Camp Tournesol

Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   Kapadia LLP   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Sum guy

Was a Raptors fan since the early days of Damon Stoudemire, the Big O, T-Mac, Vince Carter. But watching this franchise and Sportsnet pander to a faux rapper and give him a $700K diamond encrusted jacket sickens me and I am cheering for the Bucks.

May 24, 2019 @ 10:57 AM

wade

Ive been a fan as well from Day 1, even watched them draft Stoudamire to begin.
I realize that Drake is an ambassador for the club but the coverage of his every move seemingly at Raptor games has become annoying. And myself personally don't care for his unsportsmanlike antics but I wont let it detract from the awe of watching Kawhi perform at this level. This city has had some awesome athletes and he surely is up there with them.

May 24, 2019 @ 11:37 AM

I was watching Damon Stoudamire getting drafted, too, and I'm A-OK with Drake. He's just a big fan with passion and I dig it. And I think he's in the Bucks' heads and that's pretty sweet, too.

Drake loves his Raptors and doesn't care who knows it. It's all in good fun, IMHO.

May 24, 2019 @ 1:41 PM

wade

TM,

If he is in their heads and the reason why Giannis cant seem to hit that first free throw then i say I'm a-OK with Drake too!

May 24, 2019 @ 2:03 PM

J9

Fan from the Raptors early days, and I don’t mind Drake either! If he helps the team with his over the top cheering, that is great. Toronto fans are not traditionally that loud and boisterous, perhaps Drake helps them get out of their shells. ;-)

Hoping for a great Thames tonight-go Raptors!

May 25, 2019 @ 6:53 AM

J9

Lol a great GAME not Thames....

May 25, 2019 @ 6:54 AM

Urooj Islam

This may sound strange but the two stand out moments for me from the Raptors clinching a trip to the NBA Finals were Kyle Lowry in total disbelief as the seconds ticked down in regulation and Leo Rautins getting emotional in the postgame trying to hold back tears.

Leo is a true Canadian and Toronto basketball OG and a Raptors day oner and from this episode, he sounds like a great dude so someone who I've been seeing on broadcasts for 25 years have that reaction really hit home about the weight of the moment.

He was the perfect guy, at least for me, to speak about what this meant for the team and the city.

May 26, 2019 @ 10:01 PM

Al The Royal Pain

This was a great and timely episode.

May 27, 2019 @ 2:31 PM

Sum guy

That's what I find sad, Toronto Mike, is that you and other folks are naive enough to believe that Drake the fake is some sort of superfan, rather than an egomaniac who needs attention and to keep himself in the spotlight. Sad really.

May 30, 2019 @ 9:53 AM

@Sum guy

The whole reason Drake was made an official ambassador in the first place was to bring attention to the team... he's done that.

And I say he's a superfan because I've seen Aubrey Graham of Degrassi at Raptor games cheering on the Raps before his rap career took off. Heck, I even wrote about one such encounter in 2007.

May 30, 2019 @ 10:20 AM

Sum guy

Great, then let him support the team quietly like everyone else. These sad displays of his only make the Raps look like attention starved bush league amateurs because they apparently need an "ambassador" who they gift hundreds of thousands of dollars to and a diamond encrusted jacket.

May 30, 2019 @ 10:40 AM

@Sum guy

Sounds like you're jealous!

May 30, 2019 @ 1:16 PM

Sum guy

Honestly, I expected a bit better, even from you. Sounds like you're not really open to people with ideas that don't mirror your own. The franchise was doing fine without a clown on the sidelines, but if you want to defend it, that's up to you.

May 30, 2019 @ 2:55 PM

@Sum guy

I'm fine with you sharing your opinion here, I'm just sharing mine. I'm personally not at all bothered by Drake's antics. I think it just adds to the fun.

May 30, 2019 @ 5:50 PM

Drake's wearing an autographed Del Curry jersey.

Tell me again how this guy doesn't add to the pageantry. That's amazing!

May 30, 2019 @ 8:29 PM

Sum guy

You seem easily impressed. Drake can't even write his own lyrics. I'm sure you're also glad handing drake in hopes one day he will be on your podcast. Some pageantry. Del Curry played for Toronto. Either way, I enjoy your podcasts but I've always noticed you're a bit thin skinned when someone has an opinion different to yours.

May 30, 2019 @ 9:56 PM

Sum guy, you're more than welcome to hate on Drake with great passion for all of eternity. I don't really care. Not agreeing with you does not make me thin skinned.

p.s. If you're going to keep going at me, it's only fair you start signing your name to these comments. Cool?

May 30, 2019 @ 10:37 PM

P.s. MLSE didn't give Drake that jacket. Toronto tailor Garrison Bespoke gave that jacket to Drake. MLSE didn't spend a penny on it.

That myth that Drake doesn't write his own lyrics is unsubstantiated hogwash.

And I literally laughed out loud when I read your suggestion I was "glad handing" Drake so he'll come on my podcast. Drake's not coming on Toronto Mike'd. But thanks for suggesting it's a possibility!

May 30, 2019 @ 10:59 PM

Sum guy

Well he's an egomaniac of gigantic proportions, and you're doing your best impression of the guys on Entourage in kissing ass, so there's always a chance. How is it hogwash that he doesn't write his own lyrics? Please elaborate. Fair enough on the jacket fact, if it is true.

As for your thin skin, I'm not saying it because of one instance, I've listened to your podcast for years, because despite your awful taste in Toronto "rappers" (who try to blackmail baby mamas into getting abortions), I think your podcasts are great. But when you talk about Dean Blundell (who is a certifiable a-hole), or Fearless Fred (who I actually agree with you about), you can hear how defensive and thin-skinned you get.

May 30, 2019 @ 11:27 PM

Sum guy

They did, and it was a great victory and brilliant display. Credit where it's due.

May 30, 2019 @ 11:45 PM