Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 450: Women Who Rock

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 450In this 450th episode, Mike plays and discusses his ten favourite rock jams by a female vocalist. This episode is exactly 52:50.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

2019-04-12_01-54-02

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou and Camp Tournesol.

Palma Pasta   glb   Camp Tournesol
Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   StickerYou   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Urooj Islam

I'm going to listen to this JUST because of the hilarious podcast photo.

April 12, 2019 @ 2:16 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Mr. Islam told no lies with his above comment, as it's kind of a new, sorta-borderline
menacing look from your usual, otherwise sunny corner of the world!! All that's missing,
perhaps, is the accommodating video of you cackling just a lil' bit like Phil Collins in
Genesis' most- awesome "Mama" video from 1983! P.S., I know that this was a last-minute
effort, but gotta admit, I'm gonna be quite disappointed if yer Rawkin' Lady Jams don't include
at least a couple of tunes from the likes of Rita MacNeil Susan Boyle and that newly minted R & R Hall of Fame inductee Janet Jackson!!

April 12, 2019 @ 3:32 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Fantastic picks and due to the last minute nature of it all, I'm assuming that the (glaring) omission
of Tracy Bonham's awesome "Mother Mother" (which rated it quite high on a list posted elsewhere
on this blog) either came down to time constraints and/or a momentary lapse of reason?!? P.S., another vastly underrated Canadian singer (although not exactly from the rock idiom) is the beyond- talented and tres foxy Tara MacLean. In a more fair, just and perfect world, she'd have S. McLachlan's career!!

April 12, 2019 @ 4:14 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
And I might be insane or facing the sudden onslaught of full loss of reasoning, but if my limited counting capabilities are correct, we might have only been treated to nine JAMS, which might be a perfectly reasonable explanation for the absence of the song I mentioned above!!

April 12, 2019 @ 4:24 PM

But I thought I did play Mother Mother. Didn't I?

April 12, 2019 @ 6:19 PM

I had Mother Mother in the board as one of my ten... don't know how I missed it. I'll fix this tonight when I'm back from Markham!

April 12, 2019 @ 6:21 PM

dale

Scrolled through this episode & with women screaming vocals as a fave, is not my cup of T.
My fave Women Who Rock are Heart (Ann & Nancy Wilson), Alanis Morrissette, Carole Pope (all Cdn.),
The Coors, Pat Benatar.

April 12, 2019 @ 6:46 PM

I believe this is my first solo job that's an actual numbered episode, so when it was time to post the pic I thought it would be funny if I posed in the regular spot with nobody... but because I was all alone, I was a little perturbed.

And now you know, the rest of the story.

April 12, 2019 @ 10:46 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

You should have gone all out and had your buddy on Twitter photoshop Toronto Mike taking a selfie with Toronto Mike.

April 12, 2019 @ 11:54 PM

@Urooj Islam

I'll be that guy will do some photoshop if I actually tweet the pic.

Heck, I'll tweet it now and see!

April 13, 2019 @ 8:24 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I knew that there was not a snowball's trite chance in hell that you would have knowingly omitted
"Mother Mother" from this list!! P.S., I wonder if anyone else would have noticed this other than
me?!? You can probably chalk up my overly-anal attention to such details down to my rather significant lack of anything more productive to do!!

April 13, 2019 @ 9:41 AM

Anon&on

Fixed the title
Episode 450: Woman Who Rocked the 90's

April 13, 2019 @ 10:48 PM

@Anon&on

Ha! At least one jam was from 2002. :)

April 13, 2019 @ 10:57 PM

RushMike

@Urooj Islam, @bsmntdwllr73... I agree the selfie is the best...
what is not known and out of camera shot... was the family out for an afternoon stroll when Mike was spotted on his front lawn, they immediately crossed the street to avoid the menacing looking character in their path....

April 14, 2019 @ 1:51 PM

@RushMike

This is the new me. Menacing!

April 14, 2019 @ 2:39 PM

Urooj Islam

I just hope you explain to elvis what a protest song is before you kick out the protest jams because elvis might pick "Don't Stop the Music" by Rihanna as a song protesting against stopping the playing of music.

April 14, 2019 @ 2:46 PM

jj

I think I knew 2/10 songs, but it was interesting to hear for me. Since I can see I will be driving out to Brampton a lot, I will be listening to more stuff!

April 14, 2019 @ 8:52 PM

jj

I'm Not an Addict - and the Cranberries song. Perhaps I may have known a third, but those two I definitely knew lol. And I knew Bif Naked, but not that song, actually!

April 15, 2019 @ 8:26 AM

@jj

Ya gotta get down with that Raggadeath jam!

April 15, 2019 @ 8:27 AM

jj

I know Michie too, just hadn't ever listened to Raggadeath! I may check it out though...!

April 15, 2019 @ 9:42 AM

@jj

If the idea of dancehall reggae fused with hard rock appeals to you, you need to check it out.

April 15, 2019 @ 9:58 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
I still say that that particular Raggadeth track, as fine as it is, is highly 'reminiscent' of the sound/style
of more than one I Mother Earth track, including "Not Quite Sonic"!!

April 15, 2019 @ 10:07 AM

Beatts

"I'm going to listen to this JUST because of the hilarious podcast photo."

THIS

April 15, 2019 @ 10:32 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts
Heads up, and I don't want to disappoint you (too much!!), but regrettably, Doris Day, Patti Page
and Eydie Gorme aren't a part of this historical episode. so feel free to take out your hearing
aids immediately!!!

April 15, 2019 @ 10:37 AM

jj

dale - not every song was women screaming, the three songs i knew the women definitely did not scream.

TM - I don't know if it appeals to me looool, but I can add it to my list of things to try.

April 15, 2019 @ 11:01 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Mercifully still quite grateful that Mike didn't spin any Bikini Kill, Babes in Toyland, early Sleater-
Kinney or any of the tuneless, shrill drivel off Hole's first 'indie' album. Any of those acts listed
above would definitely fit into that dreaded, aforementioned screaming category. Add me to
the "No Thanks!" list in that regard as well, as I definitely prefer their more tuneful Cookie Monster-
vocalizing death metal equivalents!!!

April 15, 2019 @ 11:10 AM

bsmntdwllr73

One notable exclusion from this list and that particular early nineties-to-early Aughts Golden Era
of Lady Rockers: "50ft Queenie" by PJ Harvey. Two and a half minutes of tuneful Female Fury!!

April 15, 2019 @ 1:16 PM