Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 423: Heather Bambrick

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 423In this 423rd episode, Mike chats with jazz musician, broadcaster and voiceover actress Heather Bambrick about Newfoundland, music, the fall of JAZZ.FM91, the rise of JAZZCAST, and more. This episode is exactly 2:18:02.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Heather Bambrick and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

bsmntdwllr73

Great take on that classic Prince B-side by Heather. Really appreciated her candor regarding the tragic
decline of JazzFM. Also good to learn that Mark Wigmore will soon be interviewed by TM as I really
enjoyed what he brought to the station, and I hope that he is now in a position where there is a lot
more appreciation for his talents.

January 18, 2019 @ 12:52 PM

dan d

Great episode with Heather. You need to get over the Molly Johnson episode though, seriously.

January 19, 2019 @ 2:11 AM

@dan d

Oh, I'm over it, but Heather's only my second jazz singer guest (after Molly) and I know she knows Molly and heard that ep, so yeah... I was going to play a little Molly and hear what she had to say.

January 19, 2019 @ 9:53 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Hopefully none of us will ever forget or get over the Molly Johnson episode, as It is a bountiful gift
that keeps on giving and ask very little of us. Well, other than a little over an hour of our time and
a trying test of both our nerves and our patience (with MJ, not Mike, obviously!). I know that not
everyone will agree, but I thoroughly enjoy it when TM queries his guests about that episode ( just
as long as it it occurs organically, natch!).

January 19, 2019 @ 10:56 AM

Brandon

Loved Heather's impression of Molly Johnson doing a gravelly-voiced ID read ("Hi, this is Molly Johnson"). Sounding sort of like Patty Bouvier, one of Marge's sisters, from The Simpsons. ;)

Didn't know that much about Heather so quite enjoyed this listen! Ordered a physical copy (old-school!) of her "You'll Never Know" album from CDBaby as a gift for a jazz vocalist fan.

I admire the ambition and planning of Jazzcast to be a defacto "Internet radio station". Lots of potential there for shows and original interviews it can get as jazz artists travel through the city on their gigs. I just hope it can sustain itself!

January 19, 2019 @ 12:01 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Those who know me probably know that jazz is not my thing. I enjoyed this episode though. Heather sounds like she's a party.

January 20, 2019 @ 6:08 PM

Heather B

Mike - that was a true blast! Much love and thanks to you and your sponsors. And thanks to the folks above for the kind words. Made me smile! (Brandon - I thought the same thing as I was doing the Molly impression!! And "God love ya" for purchasing the CD! I hope your friend enjoys it!!)

January 20, 2019 @ 10:34 PM

Noelle J

Great Podcast!

January 21, 2019 @ 3:22 PM

Barry

I enjoyed this. I used to listen to Jazz.fm a lot and was disappointed when I heard what was going on behind the scenes. I wasn't aware of Jazzcast until this episode -- I'm thrilled to learn about it. I always enjoyed listening to Heather, and Garvia Baillie is a favourite of mine from back when she was on CBC Radio (and when she used to host the Canadian Children's Literature Awards). I'm glad a new home for them is in the works.

January 24, 2019 @ 11:06 AM

LieveFamke

Another great episode! I didn't know anything about Heather but you really were able to get a lot of interesting stories from her. And what a voice!

February 5, 2019 @ 6:01 AM