Elliott Price No Longer on The Fan 590's Starting Lineup

In February 2017, following the Dean Blundell disaster, Greg Brady returned to The Fan 590 morning show with Elliott Price and Hugh Burrill. Elliott Price was brand new to this market, having spent his entire career in Montreal.

Less than two years later, Elliott Price is no longer at The Fan. Here's the official announcement from the man with the longest job title I've ever seen, Dave Cadeau.

I would like to thank Elliott Price for his passion and dedication to Sportsnet 590 The Fan listeners over the past two years. An excellent broadcaster with an incredible sports acumen, Elliott delivered the news, interviews and insights that mattered most to Toronto sports fans every morning. This past Wednesday marked Elliott's final broadcast on Sportsnet's Starting Lineup, but we wish him all the best and thank him for all of his contributions to the station. Sportsnet 590 The FAN remains dedicated to delivering the engaging conversation and first-rate content our listeners have come to expect, and we look forward to exploring new approaches to sports talk in the morning. Greg Brady and Hugh Burrill will continue to anchor Sportsnet's Starting Lineup moving forward with further details about the show to be confirmed at a later date.

- Dave Cadeau, National Format Director, Sports, Rogers Radio and Program Director, Sportsnet 590 The FAN

Having relocated from Montreal for this gig, it's difficult not to feel bad for Elliott Price. Here's hoping there's a silver lining in this one for the guy.

If you'd like to hear my two hour deep dive with Elliott about his career in Montreal and his decision to move to Toronto, here's episode 298 of Toronto Mike'd.

Elliott Price and me

James Edgar

Wow. I thought i heard a "Starting Line up with Greg Brady and Elliot price Etc " thing between segments this morning on the way in.
Weird.

I personally liked him. Even if he was a habs fan.

January 25, 2019 @ 3:12 PM

Ted Bird

Not a Habs fan. A Blackhawks fan, lifelong. And a good broadcaster and family man who deserves better.

January 25, 2019 @ 3:56 PM

Kevin Bates

Why in the world was he let go? He was awesome!

January 25, 2019 @ 7:39 PM

andrew

Don't know what to say. He moved to TDot in Fe3b 21017 to take on another challenge.
He was doing a good job & now what!!
Such in life in social & print media. Days are NUMBERED.

January 25, 2019 @ 9:06 PM

Jason from Sudbury from Sudbury

Damn, that's really shitty. Relocated his entire family here. Hopefully he'll land on his 2 feet soon.

January 25, 2019 @ 9:51 PM

KevinJ

Wow, Price was so good. I don't understand the love affair Sportsnet has for Greg Brady? How many co-hosts and time slots has he gone through now? I guess Brady thought Price was too smart for his liking. His ego probably couldn't take it.

Best of luck to Mr.Price.

January 26, 2019 @ 9:22 AM

Chuck 99

The Fan 590 morning show is turning into a revolving door of co-hosts. I fail to understand why management would think that is good for ratings.

January 26, 2019 @ 4:48 PM

dale

A shame. Elliott moved to Toronto from Montreal for an opportunity & was doing a great job.
Cuts, Cuts, Cuts as that is all I have to say as possibly paying him much $ & the way radio media is now NOBODY cannot keep high priced players. How can Derringer on Q107 still keep his job as the station is stale & needs new voices overall?

January 26, 2019 @ 11:53 PM

stephen

I like Toronto Mike but using a guy's firing to link to a podcast where you sell ads is not cool. Greg Tsunami Brady, you can't outrun him but if you stick around you're dead.

January 27, 2019 @ 8:16 AM

@stephen

I'm not happy Elliott was fired. Quite the contrary. I thoroughly enjoyed his visit to my home and I was rooting for him.

I wrote about his firing because it's public news that my readers will be interested in. And yes, I felt a recent 2 hour conversation with the man was also relevant. I don't get an extra penny from any advertisers depending on listener numbers or download numbers. So it's not like I financially benefit in any way from Elliott's dismissal.

January 27, 2019 @ 9:55 AM

Urooj Islam

@stephen

Haha, Greg "Tsunami" Brady is even better than Greg "8 Mile" Brady. Everyone around him gets fired consistently and it's been happening for a decade straight but he ends up totally fine. Even when he gets fired, he gets rehired by the same company.

January 27, 2019 @ 1:50 PM

At the risk of sounding like a Brady apologist, it's not really that bad if you break it down.

Let's talk about his last three co-hosts:

Jim Lang
Andrew Walker
Elliott Price

Greg admitted to me that there were chemistry issues with Jim Lang and that led to Jim Lang getting canned. So that's one...

Andrew Walker was supposed to leave Greg Brady's show for Blundell's show, but so didn't want that for his career that he went to management and got to stay with Brady. In other words, he clearly enjoyed working with Brady, otherwise why go against management's decision.

And then Brady was removed from the show. I'm guessing that was budgetary. 1-4pm isn't a big revenue generator, so they probably didn't want to pay morning show money for the slot.

And then Andrew got an offer he couldn't refuse and left for Vancouver. That made all the sense in the world for him.

And Brady was brought back to life and given the morning show post-Blundell. According to his tweets, he had nothing to do with Price's dismissal. So hard to pin this one on him.

In conclusion, "Tsunami" is responsible for Lang's demise, but that might be it. He may be unworthy of such a cool nickname.

January 27, 2019 @ 2:16 PM

Joey Wasaga

I have NO doubt that Greg Brady has some photos of some 590 execs trying to help a small sheep over a fence after a company function.

January 27, 2019 @ 3:31 PM

Alan Etobicoke

I guess he was too smart for the show. As a day one listener of the Fan I sometimes wonder about the decisions being made there. I hope Elliott Price lands on his feet

January 28, 2019 @ 9:06 AM

Alan Etobicoke

As per my previous comment, I would just like to add that while I agree with some of the previous morning show dismissals, I certainly don't agree with this one. Very puzzling.

January 28, 2019 @ 9:18 AM

Pete

Wasn't a fan of his, and I'm not really surprised. He was pretty plain vanilla who didn't help bring the show to a next level.

That being said, how Greg Brady continues to hold his spot is beyond me. How many co-hosts does he get to revolve through before the execs realize there may be a common theme with what the problem truly is.

January 28, 2019 @ 9:43 AM

Justin

I was surprised by this. Thought Price was by far the best co-host Brady has ever had. Smart, entertaining, a great radio voice - I enjoyed listening to him.

I'd like to see this move as the FAN taking the opportunity to redefine what a morning drive radio show should sound like. If I were PD, I'd make several major changes:

-Ax the sports updates (waste of time repeating news that everyone already knows about)
-Have fewer commercials in favour of live reads from hosts, where the reading of ad spots fits much more seamlessly into the show (this is commonplace in podcasts)
-More interesting (and potentially long-form) interviews rather than talk about the game last night
-Less inane contests and "games" that sound like filler and an excuse for a sponsorship ad

January 28, 2019 @ 11:44 AM

Urooj Islam

Does anyone else remember when the Fan 590 was desperately trying to make the Andrew Krystal in the morning experiment work that they brought on Greg Brady to co-host with him?

That was the death knell for Krystal, when Greg "The Grim Reaper" Brady was brought on.

January 28, 2019 @ 2:37 PM

JOHN

Dave fired the wrong guy. The thing I liked best about Elliot was that when he was talking, I did not have to listen to Brady. The last few shows have been painful.

January 28, 2019 @ 4:20 PM

Domenic

Unbelievable is all I can say, this is so troubling to hear and see all this unfold. By far the best morning show voice. Un******real. Good luck to Elliot. Wake the **** up 590!!

January 28, 2019 @ 6:29 PM

Alan Etobicoke

After listening to the Fan on the way in to work this morning I sure hope this isn't a preview of the new show. Greg Brady's incessant talking and holier than thou attitude grates on me to no end. The man seems to be in love with the sound of his own voice. Somebody should tell him that this station is about sports, not his views on life. Bring back Elliot Price please. A HUGE mistake letting him go.

January 29, 2019 @ 6:55 AM

Larry

An Alberta listener to the best morning host has again come to an end. Followed Elliott from TSN Montreal to Toronto...Guess its time for him to move west. Good luck Elliott
Larry

January 29, 2019 @ 5:47 PM

Anonymous

1050 it is

January 29, 2019 @ 6:30 PM

marcp

am i the only one that wishes they wouldnt got rid of brady instead

January 29, 2019 @ 6:44 PM

marcp

wouldve ^

January 29, 2019 @ 6:47 PM

@marcp

Nope. It was a mistake to bring him back.

More casualties on Brady's watch beyond the known announcers and even more behind the scenes issues that centre around Brady. I feel bad for Price too. He saw an excellent opportunity in the biggest market in Canada. He did not know he'd be working alongside a clubhouse cancer in Brady.

January 30, 2019 @ 6:27 AM

Alan Etobicoke

Would somebody please explain the love affair that the Fan has with Greg Brady?

January 30, 2019 @ 8:17 AM

Ray McCormick

I enjoyed Elliot Price and wish the FAN had fired Brady instead. I hope Price shows up somewhere and kicks Roger's butts in the ratings.

January 30, 2019 @ 10:27 AM

Anonymous

Brady is like a cockroach in a nuclear zone. He seems to survive anything. Why that is, who can say?

January 30, 2019 @ 11:22 AM

Darryl

Feel bad for Price. Really enjoy Brady, thought it was bad when they let him go, and was happy they brought him back. All the best Elliott. Keep up the great work Greg.

January 30, 2019 @ 8:57 PM

Matt

Well I for one was not a fan of Elliot Price. His voice really grated on me and I didn't find any of his takes or opinions relevant or interesting. I am happy I won't have to listen to him in the morning anymore. I do hope he lands on his feet though. I don't wish a relocation followed by a termination on anyone.

February 4, 2019 @ 7:42 AM

Frank

I'm so tired of the Fan590 constantly changing the morning show hosts.
Elliot was very good. Greg is so annoying and I couldn't believe it when they brought that guy back two years ago. It's obvious changes need to be made at Rogers headquarters, because these constant firings are getting lame. Why should I invest my time into a show and then wonder where the host went?

February 6, 2019 @ 6:42 AM

Frank

I'm so tired of the Fan590 constantly changing the morning show hosts.

February 6, 2019 @ 6:42 AM

Shaun

As the same that many guys have mentioned before. What a shock.The wrong guy got the axe.Always hoping that it will be Brady.
How does this guy keep his job.Will just have to go back to TSN 1050 in the morning.
Please guys,show Greg Annoying Brady the door.......

February 6, 2019 @ 6:03 PM

Shaun

Think its time for a big shake up at the FAN 590 for the Starting Line Up and The Good Show in the afternoon.There are currently,only two great regular presenters on the Fan right now. Bob McCowan and Jeff Blair.
Dave Cadeau- PLEASE TAKE NOTE

February 6, 2019 @ 6:21 PM

Davis

Listening to those idiots on TSN - this was such a bad move and a bad look.... wake up!

February 7, 2019 @ 5:45 AM

John Murphy

Surprised that Price was let go. Water cooler talk certainly holds consensus that Brady truly struggles to convey his thoughts in interviews (he might be the worst interviewer on radio). Now couple in his sidebar rants on non-sport topics is incredibly agitating & awkward. Price is far superior to Brady, unfortunate decision for Price.
The all "Nightmare Team" would be pairing Brady with Ben Ennis, it would be unbearable to listen to these two radio personalities. I will now listen to TSN Radio in the morning.

February 7, 2019 @ 8:27 AM

bsmntdwllr73

"Nightmare Team" would definitely be a great handle for a great throwback gangsta rap combo or late '80s mid-level wrestling duo!!

February 7, 2019 @ 9:56 AM

Brian

If my reception to 1050 wasn't so bad... and Brady doesn't shut up... gawd ...with his stats memory or is he reading them! Liked Elliot came across like a good egg.

February 8, 2019 @ 8:39 AM

Jamie

I think they let go of the wrong guy. I said the same when walker left. Please resign Gord Stellick and bring price back.

February 8, 2019 @ 10:15 AM

Anonymous

Price was the best of the bunch....and his knowledge was amazing...and he is a Raiders fan.....The Fan is losing it

February 8, 2019 @ 10:19 AM

Paul Mclennon

Thought Elliot was on holidays just found out he was can. My question is why? The man was interesting... Greg Brady goes on and on guess it's time to listen to tsn.

February 11, 2019 @ 6:10 AM

February 11, 2019 @ 6:10 AM

Paul Mclennon

February 11, 2019 @ 6:10 AM

Paul

February 11, 2019 @ 6:11 AM

Dave

Unbelievable! Just found out Elliott Price gone . You the Fan 590 need to listen to your listeners, Greg Brady is the most annoying sports host you have ever hired. I only listened because of Price and like a lot of listeners I too will say farewell till Brady is gone

February 11, 2019 @ 7:42 AM

Bren

Good god Brady pains me. Everyone of his lame jokes where he tries to act smart as hell...cringe worthy. This is the best move for TSN radio

February 11, 2019 @ 8:48 AM

Carol Johnson

Elliott Price was awesome to listen to in the morning. Just not the same in the morning. Been a listener for years but think TSN will be on in the car from now on in the morning. Will still tune into Bobcat after work.

February 11, 2019 @ 8:56 AM

Newmarket Ninja

Seems to be a common theme here folks. The wrong host was shown the door. Thought Brady was a real knob end from his days with Bill Watters and that belief has only been cemented. Cringe worthy listening to him. Brady must have pictures of someone at the Fan. Has to be the only explanation as to how he keeps being gainfully employed.

February 11, 2019 @ 3:56 PM

T.B.

Must agree that re-hiring Brady was a major mistake. Also might be an idea to axe the program director for making these poor decisions and his inability to sit down on a regular basis with the on-air talent to critique their work.

Brady is not the only one who always hi-jacks the show. Most hosts suffer from severe cases of verbal diarrhea. This is extremely fatiguing for the listener. Your announcers should 'speak' like an NHL players' shift...35-40 sec, then on to the next thought.

Often, these harangues go on for so long that if I were to hold my breath, I'd die of asphyxiaion. I find this is typical of all hosts on the fan...like there is no guidance whatsoever for the hosts.

Jeff Blair, needs to know what questions he wants to ask of guest instead of trying to do it on the fly then circle back because he goes on a tangent.

Rob Wong, EXTREMELY VERBOSE...see asphyxiation comment above...also says "you know" so much that if he were fined $5 everytime he said it, he'd have to cut Rogers a pay-check.

Bunkis needs to stop hijacking the show while Ennis needs to wake up. When he does contribute, he and Bunkis are both talking at the same time which becomes indecipherable. It's "Good Show", not "Goof Show".

Ashley Docking needs to stop making affirmatory noises during interviews as the listener finds it annoyng, not to mention ruins the clip if needed for an update.

Josh Goldberg seems to get it but needs to back off his mic as he sounds like he's distorting to the point where one has to turn down the radio when he speaks.

George Rusic please stop trying to be funny. You're not good at it so why force it.

Doug McLean, John Shannon just like hearing themselves talk... reign in your egos.

Think about canning Brady, bring back Price and pair him with Gord Stellick. At least this would be a nice start to the day.

February 11, 2019 @ 5:20 PM

Blue Forever

I have been listening to the Fan 590 in the AM for over 25 years and I have heard them all: Marsden, Stellick, Landry, Derringer, Krystal, Walker, Lang, Brady, Price, Blundell, McCown, etc.

Here are three worst (in any order you like): Dean Blundell, Andrew Krystal & Greg Brady. I will give Brady credit though, he does know sports (unlike the other two). And unlike some Fan broadcasters he knows more than just hockey and/or baseball--he can talk quite intelligently about soccer, tennis, etc.

But the man simply loves the sound of his own voice too much. It is borderline infuriating listening to him conduct an "interview" when he starts with a 30 second preamble to his first question. I am sure the person being "interviewed" must be ready to hang up the phone while Brady prattles on and on.

Worse still is his phoney attempt at self-deprecating humour. You can tell he thinks he is the smartest guy in the room (that Western degree and all that :)) but he often attempts to mock himself. I ain't buying the act, Greg.

Solutions.....

Bring back Gord Stellick. Pair him with Damien Cox. Great chemistry. Great hockey knowledge and lots of inside info. And Damien has a fairly wide berth of sports knowledge.

Move JD & Ben to the AM. I like JD alot, but for goodness sake somebody explain the difference between YES & No the kid. If you listen to him you will know what I mean.

I know this is unlikely, but my dream would be Stephen Brunt. He is the best voice of the Fan by a country mile.

February 12, 2019 @ 9:35 AM

@Blue Forever

But Sportsnet and Damien Cox just parted ways late last year.

February 12, 2019 @ 9:39 AM

Fibber M

After listening to Brady interview Burke this a.m., I have to agree with Blue Forever. Once Brady went into his "listen to me shtick",Burke was ready to hang up, or punch him in the face. Have to agree he knows his sports, but I'm tired of hearing about his escapades with the Saginaw Spirit, & his whole know it all attitude. Sorry to hear about Price, the morning show ain't the same. Like others have stated, I hope he lands on his feet. If I had better reception out here in Lindsay, i'd likely switch to TSN in the a.m.

February 13, 2019 @ 10:57 AM

Blue Forever

Who is in charge of the Fan 590? The person(s) should be forced to listen to the interview Brady & Rusic conducted with Brian Burke this morning. More tragic than a Shakespearean play.

Even Burke himself got fed up listening to Brady and his new sidekick trying to be "clever". And I loved it when Burke called Brady out on the length of one of his questions. Nor was I surprised that Brady mentioned his time at the University of Western Ontario....like listeners have never heard that old refrain before. Gee, Greg, if you are going to be "witty" at least introduce some variety would ya!

This radio station has the ability to get first-rate guests on a daily basis, but much of what these guest experts have to offer the listener is spoiled by Greg Brady.

I wonder how many listeners have either changed the dial, are considering it, or would change the dial if the regular guests weren't so good (Burke, Mitch Lawrence, Kipper, etc)? Lots, I bet!

February 13, 2019 @ 1:10 PM

Urooj Islam

Death, Taxes and Greg Brady.

No one can get rid of Teflon Brady. If you fire Greg Brady, he turns into two Greg Brady-ies like an earthworm.

February 13, 2019 @ 1:16 PM

tom

$100 its a female they bring in,probably the one that covers for blair.brady such a idiot,i moved to tsn for early show.carlo colaicovo is very good

February 18, 2019 @ 9:02 PM

@tom

Yes, I'm sure it will be Ashley Docking.

February 18, 2019 @ 9:04 PM

Fan No More

Imagine having to sit there for four hours and listen to Brady while trying to get a few words in. I am happy for Elliot. The suffering Is over for him. Now he can go on to a real radio station that cares about what listeners want and work with someone of his caliber. I will miss him and have now turned the dial for good. Whose next McCowan?

February 19, 2019 @ 8:17 AM

greg

Brady's problem has always been that he simply isn't entertaining. He talks to his audience like a teacher in a classroom. Its morning radio. I don't need a lesson on a soviet table tennis incident in 1982. I need to be entertained. Stop acting like a teacher and proving to the world how voluminous your mental sports encyclopedia is. No one cares. It's 7 am. It's not rocket science. It's a friggin morning radio show. Honestly, Price sounded like he was half drunk sometimes, but it was mostly just trying to interject/interact with Brady's boring nonsense, with that loud unique voice. It never jelled. Never really had a hope of jelling frankly. Would have been interesting to see what Price could have done solo.

February 19, 2019 @ 9:50 AM

Joe.

I was shocked to hear Elliott Price was no longer on the morning show. He was informative and a great radio personality. The jays could definitely use him. He’s an amazing play by play baseball announcer.
Good luck Elliott.

February 19, 2019 @ 10:23 PM

Bernard Singh

Wow, I finally caught on that Elliott Price is no longer on The Fan 590 Morning Show. I found him to be extremely entertaining and knowledgeable, too. I cannot stand Greg Brady and, for the life of me, don't know why they even brought him back for an encore (weird logic!!). Even worse, is having to listen to Ashley Docking...she is downright brutal and her "know-it-all" style is simply not fun to listen to.

Going forward, they should just scrap The Morning Show...it SUCKS!!!

February 20, 2019 @ 3:04 PM

Peter n

Sorry to see Elliot go, but I couldn't stand him. Didn't really add much to the sports talk and his voice was boring. All you guys hating on Brady, must not realize that your other local option is landsberg and he's a whole lot worse. I refuse to listen to 1050 as long as landsberg is there. Guy has a God complex and interrupts people all the time.

February 21, 2019 @ 9:39 PM

Rob

Surprised to find out they canned Price and kept Brady. I found that Price was able to keep Brady in line, if that's the proper term to convey what Im trying to say.
Ive never been a fan of Brady but he's more bearable with Docking. He seems to have a different, almost flirty attitude, with her. They have some decent chemistry.

February 25, 2019 @ 3:52 PM

Mike

It's safe to say that the people making the programming decisions at the Fan590 have no clue what they are doing. How Greg Brady is still employed is beyond me. They should have fired Brady and not Price. Idiots!

February 27, 2019 @ 10:54 AM

Matt

This last week with Brady on vacation, was the best week this show has had in years. Ashley and George had some decent chemistry together. I was under the impression that Elliot and Brady were fired. Sad to see that he's back.

February 28, 2019 @ 7:22 AM

Frank

As a listener of the fan i have to say that firing Price was a stupid move ! I live in toronto and i am a huge flyers fan and yet i choose to listen to the fan on my way into work now however it is horrible radio .
Brady is tolerable but putting Ahsley Docking in the mix is horrendous ! She’s horrendous ! Just go with Brady and Burrill at least
The fan has once again dropped the ball

March 5, 2019 @ 7:54 AM

Frank

Oh yeah one more thing .... Ashley Docking ???? Really thats the best they could’ve done !

Ashley Docking ???

March 5, 2019 @ 7:57 AM

ijamie63@rogers.com

Rogers let the wrong guy go. Big mistake.

March 5, 2019 @ 10:16 AM

Murph

I guess I missed when this happened and assumed that Ashley Docking was filling in for a vacationing, or sick Elliot Price.

Toronto Mike, if you have an pals at TSN Radio, please suggest that Elliot would be a great host to follow their morning show.

The Dan Patrick Drivel causes me to change stations or turn off the radio at the sound of his voice. very few can do that. I know its not a "hot timeslot", but I would rather hear pre recorded or even replayed interviews or segments.

As many said, Brady loves the sound of his own voice. If he could reduce his babble by about 40%, it would be a lot more tolerable.

March 7, 2019 @ 9:30 AM

Daniel

Thought Elliot was okay. Agree with all contributors - Brady is annoying, opinionated and caused me to listen to another station. Not sure how he gets that head of his though a door. Female sidekick a nice touch, but not sold on her. The best, funniest guy they have is George Rusick. Take him over Brady, Blundell, Walker, Price any day.

March 7, 2019 @ 4:49 PM

Daniel

March 7, 2019 @ 4:49 PM

Daniel

March 7, 2019 @ 4:49 PM

Rocket

JD Bunkis needs to understand he is co-host not HOST. Stop taking over and asking long winded questions. Understand others opinions are right at times not just yours.

Price was good.

March 9, 2019 @ 10:34 AM

Dani

Greg Brady is basically a cheap copy of Colin cowerd. Coping cowerd's line of thinking. That is why he's so obnoxiously annoying to listen to.

March 13, 2019 @ 8:26 AM

Sarah

Really enjoyed listening to Elliott in the morning. I hope they don't keep Ashley as the cohost. I definitely won't be tuning in every morning if I have to listen to her.

All the best to Elliott. Bigger and better things...

March 27, 2019 @ 10:30 AM

Mike Bloom

Wow, like Elliott Price, Brady needs to go as long as J D Bunkis , worst co host I’ve ever listen too, very long winded and over opinionated

April 10, 2019 @ 1:14 PM

Alan Etobicoke

Brady would have been great back when the Americans were having the Salt talks with Russia. The Russians would have signed anything just so they didn't have to listen to him anymore.

April 15, 2019 @ 8:29 AM

Anonymous

I have been listening to the fan on the drive to work since pat marsden and perhaps even before...
So I am prolly no longer their demographic...
Regardless, I cannot stand listening to brady as he continuously spews his personal beliefs...
This is a sports channel and should stick to sports....Sometimes I think this is oprah or something.
Anyway, I actually was forced to switch to tsn and luckily have found landsburg there and find it much more appealing to listen to....
Just my opinion but perhaps the fan should listen.....

April 15, 2019 @ 2:35 PM