Carol Channing, Dead at 97

Carol ChanningCarol Channing was 97. She was the broadway legend best known for such musicals as Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Hello, Dolly!.

carol

susan diego

I remember her mainly from The Johnny Carson Show, but honestly, I thought she died years ago.
RIP Carol.

January 15, 2019 @ 8:07 AM

jj

Aw, I just read she rekindled her romance with her high school boyfriend and married him in 2003. Lovely that she found love, lived a good long life. RIP.

January 15, 2019 @ 9:07 AM

Jody Thornton

And now I can't help think of early 80s People's Jewelers commercials.

January 15, 2019 @ 9:16 AM

Chuck 99

For years she only ate organic foods to combat allergies. She also refrained from drinking alcohol. The healthy lifestyle clearly worked because she was just a few weeks shy of her 98th birthday when she passed away.

January 15, 2019 @ 7:25 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Unique voice. I heard Tom Power today on CBC Interviewing a reviewer from New York who saw her in 1964, and he told how she was still playing the role on Broadway even into her 80's. Hope I have that type of longevity!

January 15, 2019 @ 10:30 PM

Fun fact: Channing was the first celebrity to perform at a Super Bowl halftime.

January 16, 2019 @ 7:50 AM

Beatts

She was also a server at the last supper.

January 16, 2019 @ 7:57 AM

@Beatts

I heard they served McDonald's at the last supper.

January 16, 2019 @ 9:12 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Is it just me, or does Ms. Channing's countenance (above) really bare more than a passing, makeup-free resemblance to Cesar Romano's irrefutably definitive performance of The Joker on that groovy Batman series from the mid sixties?!? Bam!Biff!Pow! R.I.P. (And if this comment should piss anyone
off #1. Hit a walk-in clinic or dollar store immediately and purchase/steal a sense of humour! And
#2. She was almost 98. It's not like she was taken at her absolute prime time of life.)

January 18, 2019 @ 9:48 AM