When Dean Blundell Attacks

I was at Mamma Martino's with my oldest son for a rare man-date pizza when my brother texted me. He thought I should know that Dean Blundell had written about me on his blog and Twitter.

"Now his biggest podcast " is hilarious, as it's barely top 10 for December, but why let the facts ruin a snappy headline. Let's take a step back and discuss this podcast Dean Blundell's referring to, because if you only followed episodes here or on Twitter, you likely missed this one. That was by design.

I recorded it Thursday, didn't give it a number, didn't do any sponsor mentions, and didn't promote it at all. There was no tweet from me about it, I didn't write an entry here, I didn't Instagram it, or Facebook it or share it on LinkedIn. I just recorded the episode and added it to the Toronto Mike'd feed. That means subscribers had it pushed to them Thursday morning. I considered it a subscriber-only episode.

In this episode I'll refer to as #412.5, I simply responded to the steaming pile of bullshit Dean Blundell spewed about me on his podcast. The lies were so thick and plentiful, I felt I had to defend myself. If you're not a subscriber, and you should be, that episode is here:

I think that episode says it all. I find it bizarre that Dean Blundell is doubling down on the lies and posting our private email exchanges. I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove. I own up to everything and explain all in #412.5.

The pizza was great, by the way, and now James and I are going to watch our Leafs and Raps. I'm not the least bit interested in a cyber battle with Dean Blundell. When you mud wrestle with a pig, you both get dirty, but the pig likes it.

You might want to listen to this ep while you can, because it could disappear at any moment. I'm only acknowledging it here because there was this discussion earlier today and now Dean Blundell has decided to further twist the truth to fit his narrative.

Peace and love,
Mike

P.S. Dean Blundell admitted he doesn't know me and then wrote "Mike wants to be in radio". I haven't wanted to be in radio since I was 10 years old listening to Tom Rivers on CFTR. I have absolutely no desire to be in radio, but if I'm going to correct Dean everytime he makes something up about me and presents it as fact, this will never end. And I'd like it to end.

Urooj Islam

How does a guy with over "72.4k followers" get so little engagement on his tweets?

Bought and paid for followers?

December 22, 2018 @ 6:50 PM

jj

He's posted some kinda pic claiming it's the biggest of December. I just told him he needs some reflection. A mess. He's just making himself look piggish, nothing new.

December 22, 2018 @ 7:18 PM

Steve

Who cares about Dean. No need for you to
Help him by mentioning him.

December 22, 2018 @ 7:18 PM

Anonymous

I listened to this episode on Friday and couldn't believe the garbage Dean was shovelling. Mike pointed out that he didn't even try to get his facts right. He invented a narrative and blindly drove it home.

And when Dean says Todd Shapiro was on hundreds of times and we all know it was once, that says it all. Sad!

December 22, 2018 @ 7:19 PM

Eliz

Sorry. Anonymous was me.

December 22, 2018 @ 7:20 PM

@jj

That's sorting by "popularity" in iTunes. It's currently the most popular episode in iTunes, but that algorithm has a strong recency bias.

Plus... until an hour ago, you couldn't listen to this episode unless you played it directly from the feed, and iTunes owns that market.

But no.... it's not close to the most popular episode this month. At least not yet.

December 22, 2018 @ 7:28 PM

Not Quite Mike

Stay on the high road, Mike.

It's where those of integrity and professionalism like you do the best work. It's very much why so many admire what you do and how you do it.

December 22, 2018 @ 7:34 PM

Doug Thompson

Nothing but a bunch of childish drama. Is this your attempt at viral marketing for your podcast? How many people listen to your podcast?

December 22, 2018 @ 9:03 PM

@Doug Thompson

I remember you. You're the "famous radio producer" who earlier today wrote this about me on another site: "I absolutely don't care who ro (sic) what you are."

So please, continue to not care who ro (sic) what I am and return to the hole you crawled out of.

Thanks.

December 22, 2018 @ 9:07 PM

Beatts

Eat shit Blundell.

December 22, 2018 @ 9:26 PM

jj

TM - I reminded him he still needs to learn the definition of literal, and literally. Thanks for the clarification.

December 23, 2018 @ 1:07 AM

Rob J

Doug Thompson is a wienie.

December 23, 2018 @ 2:00 AM

Joey

The time has come to - not want - a particular person on your podcast.
Not worthy of your calibre of interview,
Twenty-five minutes distance to anywhere max
Take the TTC
Look back at your list of notables and ask yourself is that person worthy of your time.
He would probably ruin your interview on purpose just to serve his.
Keep up the great work!

December 23, 2018 @ 3:00 AM

A quick aside about Doug Thompson, since his friends are spamming me about a feud that does not exist.

I didn't know the name Doug Thompson until yesterday morning when he suddenly lashed out at me on another site. He seemed angry and bitter that I existed. Apparently, in his mind, you're not to broadcast unless you're employed at a terrestrial radio station. A mutual acquaintance told me to pay no mind to it because he's been mean and angry for decades.

Again, I didn't know he existed 24 hours ago, and I'd like to return to that blissfully ignorant time. So "friends of DT" can stop harassing me now. Thanks.

December 23, 2018 @ 9:44 AM

Support

@TorontoMike .. Jody's post was in support of you.

December 23, 2018 @ 10:20 AM

Jody Thornton

@Support:
He knows (I believe so :) ). I asked him to remove it, since it was now out of context.

December 23, 2018 @ 10:40 AM

Yes, I know. I appreciate all support. :)

December 23, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

Jamie

Good on you Mike taking the high road. I chose however, to speed down the low road running over that failure Dean Blundell.

Failed marriage. Check
Failed morning show host x2. Check
Failed crying in the shower like a bitch and called into work because his wife beat him up. Check
Failed friend to Todd and Jason who got them both fired to save his own ass. Check
Failed degrading former radio morning co-host Billie then cowardly not owning it when she becomes a co worker. Check
Dean you are one pathetic POS. Check

December 23, 2018 @ 11:52 AM

Sid_V

Wading through this episode, and I have a few thoughts.

1) hahahahahahaha! Holy crap, Blundell - either you are desperate for content or need to seriously grow a thicker skin.

2) a Zeke Meyers (so?) episode, discussing the history of the Phoenix, an overview of the Toronto live music scene, thoughts on the rebirth of the El Mocombo, etc. has shot to the top of my Christmas wish list. The irony would be awesome.

3) if Dean wants his lifestyle change to stick, he better find a way to drop all that baggage he is apparently carrying.

4) There have been a number of commenters over the years who used stronger language than "not my cup of tea" to describe Dean's show and on-air character. He certainly isn't going to change any minds with this.

5) hahahahahahaha!

December 23, 2018 @ 1:27 PM

Anonymous

It is obvious that Blundell is no longer clean and sober. Sad, really sad. DB - you need to go back into rehab.

And, who is this creep Doug Thompson? If you don't care, why are you even commenting?

December 23, 2018 @ 4:02 PM

Henry

#TeamTorontoMike

December 23, 2018 @ 5:52 PM

11:40 pm

Three people at the other site sticking up for what a great guy Doug Thompson is after his drive-by late Friday night insult.

Merry Christmas, Doug. Try not to drink and post.

December 23, 2018 @ 6:57 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Without knowing about all the attacks on Mike until now, I was feeling very positive about Deans return to regular media. His fill in on Newstalk was very good and he knows how the business works, and can carry the show when needed. Plus Humble Howard speaking of how they were settling of past differences, and he was turning the past around,
This type of public conflict can't do his brand any good, especially how small the Toronto media opportunities are becoming. Hope he can move on.

December 23, 2018 @ 8:25 PM

Pete

I must not have been following along because I thought Mike sat down with Dean and all this “shit hitting the fan” happened in person. :X

December 24, 2018 @ 1:31 AM

Aurora Bob

And so it has happened. As with most amateur blogists, there comes a time when they have to have an online "feud" with someone. And now Mike has done it. I honestly do not know if this is a real thing or something cooked up between Blundell and Mike to pump up each of their ratings. This is the thing that makes me wonder about the online media community - no one really cares about these spats other than the two involved.

December 24, 2018 @ 8:18 AM

@Aurora Bob

Nothing here's "cooked up". That's not my style.

December 24, 2018 @ 8:22 AM

jj

Pete - you would have to listen to Mike's episode to know they never sat down in person, so yeah.

December 24, 2018 @ 11:23 AM

Lake Field

I think someone is jealous of Mike's podcasting experience and reach. In all my years of listening to radio I've never listened to Blundell (mainly bescause of the chatter that precedes him) and so after listening to his podcast, I probably never will. He seems 'backed up'.

Anyway, press on regardless Mike.

December 24, 2018 @ 5:43 PM

Judy lott

Mike...I listened to this podcast while jogging. I enjoy your podcast very much. I have listened to all of them...and for the most part they are excellent however when I listened to Blundell I wanted to reach through my phone and punch him right in the face😠. I never liked his show years ago but I gave him one more try when he filled in for Richards. I thought to myself this guy really thinks his shit doesn't stink and turned the channel. I am so glad you rebutted his points. What an idiot he is. I thought Trudeau was the biggest narcissist but Blundell gives him a run for him money. He definitely is one angry bitter man who is either lying about his new found sobriety or has fallen off the wagon.
He will make no friends after listening to that bullshit he aired to the public. He is nothing more then a jealous liar....Merry Christmas on that upbeat note😉🎄

December 24, 2018 @ 8:54 PM

@Judy

Merry Christmas!

December 24, 2018 @ 9:18 PM

Rob

Mike, when and where was deans poscast you referenced here first posted ?

December 25, 2018 @ 11:23 PM

@Rob

Earlier this year on deanblundell.com.

December 25, 2018 @ 11:34 PM

Rob

I think he mentions it was from two years ago. I assume that would be a lie then.

Why respond now to this? Did you just hear about it now?

Certainly listening and reading to your podcast
/blog over the years you do cover Blundell more than other personalities in Toronto radio. However, with good reason. He was a prominent personality and was involved in a lot of news over the last few years which you cover. Without digging through blog posts I imagine topics involving him him are among the most popular, if I had to guess the firings of him/Shapiro/Barr would be among your most commented on.

During this time I have noticed much like Fearless Fredd you have a dislike for his content but you were never rude to the point of being disrespectful. I get he wouldn’t want to do your podcast though. You have a had a negative perception. However, he grossly exaggerated your coverage of him and how you articulated your displeasure.

I think you downplayed your relationship with Shapiro somewhat and your coverage of Blundell. You were on Shapiros show a few times which I don’t think you mentioned and had a business relationship with him. It simply wasn’t a one and down podcast. Also the mention of the podcast being a negative experience with Shapiro and having to make him breakfast was a little petty. I would edit that out.
Guests should have a right to privacy for the off the air behaviour. If you breach this you might have problems getting people on in the future.

I also think multiple guests you have had on were entirely on for their work with Blundell and the biggest theme on the episode was their relationship with him. I don’t think there is anything wrong with that but I think the coverage of him has had more prominence to your work than this episode of Toronto Miked would suggest.

Either way, Blundell comes off pretty terrible in this podcast. Hopefully he is in a better place as is he is suggesting in Twitter.

December 26, 2018 @ 4:54 AM

@Rob

Lots there, but I'll do my best to address everything....

If Dean's saying his podcast is from two years ago, he's lying. The email from me he reads is from earlier this calendar year. His episode was recorded well after he quit drinking and had already announced on his site that he was the new and improved Dean.

I covered most of this on my podcast, but of course I'm going to ask about Dean when I have someone on who worked with him. Dean was a big personality in this market. I can't have Todd Shapiro on without asking about him and his relationship with him. That would be like having Erica Ehm on and not asking about working at MuchMusic.

As Dean became less relevant, he's come up less and less. I can't remember the last time he came up on my podcast. In fact, when Scott Moore came on a few months ago for the first time, I asked listeners what questions they'd like me to ask him. Some wanted me to ask about Dean, since he was hired at 590 during Scott's time at Rogers. I left those questions on the cutting room floor because I didn't feel like talking about Dean. If Toronto MIke'd exists to "poop" on Dean, why would I miss that huge opportunity to ask Scott why they'd take a gamble on Dean?

I have never had a guest on simply to talk about Dean. Not one. I would love to know who you're thinking of here. Is it Blind Derek? I'd have had Blind Derek on simply because of the jury controversy, regardless of whether Dean was involved or not. That was a big story.

I was clear that Todd Shapiro's been on my show exactly once. That's a fact. He's one of 413 episodes, not "100s of times" as Dean stated. There's such a massive difference between "once" and "hundreds" that I didn't think it was relevant that we did some business together when he launched his podcast and I did appear on his show a few times. Blundell never came up on those appearances. :)

Dean attacked me with thick and plentiful lies and I felt like rebutting. You're welcome to draw your own conclusions. Just know, I'm so done with this. I just recorded 2.5 hours on Sunday with my buddy and we didn't talk about Dean once. And that was the day after Dean posted his blog entry about me.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

December 26, 2018 @ 9:19 AM

jj

Rob - thanks for asking about the two years ago, I wondered but figured it was a lie. It doesn't matter that TM only now decided to respond, in my opinion. DB is coming back out into the field, and I think it's a perfect way for TM to nip it in the bud and let it all go.

Mike isn't coaching people to give their take on working with DB, if they come on and he asks, and they say bad things, well that's on DB. No more DB talk needed for 2019 and forever.

December 26, 2018 @ 4:08 PM

Chris

I listened to the H&F episode where Howard talked about his convo with Blundell and Dean agreeing to appear on their podcast before the Xmas break. Has Howard addressed the fact that this never came to fruition because I don't see any mention of Blundell in any of the podcast descriptions since the original announcement on Nov 27th.

December 26, 2018 @ 9:14 PM

Eliz

@Chris

After hearing the shit Blundell said about H+F, I'll lose all respect for them if they still have him on. I hope Howard came to his senses.

December 27, 2018 @ 7:09 PM

Lyle Lanley

I finally listened to this. Good for you Mike for sticking up for yourself. Blundell is a bully. A textbook bully. He'll make things up and not care how far from the truth it is. He did it to Todd Shapiro, he did it to Jackie Redmond, and he's done it to you.

He's pathetic.

January 5, 2019 @ 6:56 PM

Rich

Catching up on my podcasts and just listened to this one. One thing that crossed my mind which was brought to light by @Doug Thompson was the viral marketing. Only thing is, it's Dean doing it. He's the one sending the unprovoked "shot across the bow" Slamming Mike, Shapiro, Humble&Fred, Barr... Sounds to me like he's the one looking to stir some interest in his otherwise "over" career.

February 5, 2019 @ 9:21 AM