SiriusXM Canada Cancels Humble and Fred

For the first time in five years, there was no Humble and Fred show on SiriusXM Canada's Canada Laughs channel this morning. SiriusXM chose not to renew Humble and Fred's contract.

No reason was given, but I have my theories. It's unlikely due to budgetary reasons as the licensing fee was very small with Humble and Fred generating their revenue by selling advertising. Also, it's worth noting, Humble and Fred offered to waive this small fee and pay for the sole SiriusXM employee who works the daily two hour shift. SiriusXM still took a pass. Did SiriusXM have concerns about the content? Did they want more control over the show (and the hosts)? They're not saying, but both are possibly true.

Regardless, Humble and Fred are moving on with a new distribution deal that will be announced shortly. Funny 820 out of Hamilton will carry them live from 7am to 9am which means many listeners will be able to tune them in on terrestrial radio and others will be able to stream the show live without having to pay for a subscription.

And of course, at its core, the show is a podcast. The wonderful thing about podcasts is that the heartbeat is open source and the distribution channel cannot be controlled by a media company. You can choose not to renew a contract and to cancel a show, but to paraphrase Apu Nahasapeemapetilon on The Simpsons, you cannot kill a podcast.

The Humble and Fred show on SiriusXM is dead. Long live the Humble and Fred show.

Humble and Fred and Me

Jillian

These guys are the best but I will miss hearing them on Sirius and will probably never listen to the radio show but will continue to download the podcast. I'm a little worried that the show will become less genuine now that they have to censor themselves but I'm willing to give it a chance.

July 30, 2018 @ 8:22 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I have always been a dedicated podcast listener, as I have a lot of long drives, and like listening to the whole podcast at my schedule. I was tempted a few times to get Sirius, but having it over the years in rental cars the novelty wore off, only so much Howard Stern I can listen too.
I will continue to patronize their sponsors I can, and just wonder if they are missing out on more higher profile advertisers that Sirius may have delivered.
At least I think they won't have to break for news, traffic and weather (which is their favourite topic!!) on 820?
Cheers!

July 30, 2018 @ 9:07 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Haven't listened to then in decades, but still have Freddie P's legendary "snow Removal
Machine" parody track on repeat in my head since first being exposed to it during his epic
KOTJ appearance last summer. He definitely had the pipes back then to go pro (True Dat!!).

July 31, 2018 @ 9:51 AM

Kevin

As a long time listener back to the early 90's (skipped the 99.9 years to be honest) and a day one podcast listener, they were the sole reason I signed up for Sirius. Although I will keep satellite radio as I fell in love with the content aside from H&F, I will still download the podcast daily. I really hope the content does not suffer because that does concern me a little.

July 31, 2018 @ 1:05 PM

Mark

I have been a loyal listener since the podcast started. They're the sole reason that I subscribed to Sirius. I'm a couple weeks behind on content but had to send something was up when the show was not being broadcast live on Sirius but rather a day behind. That caused me to go looking at that time to determine whether or not they have been cancelled. Oddly at the time when I was looking there was very little content on the Sirius website with relation to them and in that moment I assumed they had been canceled. When I catch up and find out what exactly has happened or transpired that will determine whether or not I renew my two sirius radios. I also listen to the Todd Shapiro show and I'm happy that both of these shows are ones that I can download.

July 31, 2018 @ 1:14 PM

Boccee Bob from Burleigh Falls

I think the Chinese spies have infiltrated Sirius radio in a attempt to sabotage Phils plan to bring his bride to Canada.

July 31, 2018 @ 8:04 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Boccee, too funny, it could be an elevator episode that is Phil's undoing...

July 31, 2018 @ 8:34 PM

Aurora Bob

The Sirius site has not listed them on the schedule for weeks so this is not a big surprise. Personally I think that they took too many Bangers. Yes Stern does it too but he is a Sirius employee and they negotiate his schedule. I think they took a little too much liberty with their position.

August 1, 2018 @ 5:41 PM

Doug

What a shame!! I count myself as a closet 100%er. Never really called in or commented on the show but always listened in, ever since CFNY days!! At least there are still the podcasts.

August 2, 2018 @ 8:31 AM

J

Todd Shaprio is next to get canned, the show is absolute trash since the original team left.

October 18, 2018 @ 10:50 PM