Humble and Fred Radio

radioMay I have your attention please....

This entry is for you if you're a fan of:

1. Humble and Fred
  2. Radio
  3. Entertaining audio content

If you went 0-3, you can stop reading now. If any of the above apply to you, you may continue...

Humble and Fred Radio is coming soon. In fact, there's a countdown on the official site. I spent some time this past weekend working on the next iteration of that site, so I can vouch for the fact this is the real deal.

Humble and Fred Radio will provide you with fresh, daily content from the geeks that groove. Every single weekday these guys are going to record a show for you and make it available online. In addition to daily audio, you'll get both Humble and Fred blogging at their new online home, tweeting and making you laugh, think and feel again. Don't you want to feel again?

humble

Here's what you need to know...

1. It will all happen at http://www.humbleandfredradio.com
  2. You should follow @humblefredradio on Twitter
  3. I'll post more updates when we go live with the new site - hopefully by next week

I'm psyched about this project and thrilled to be working with Humble and Fred, the radio team that got me out of bed just about every morning of the 90s. This is going to be revolutionary.

Dude

Tim Hudak already has AM640. Please keep it that way Fred.

September 6, 2011 @ 4:05 PM

Rob

Are they spinning any tunes?

September 6, 2011 @ 4:12 PM

Gump

Will there be a quick link to a button to filter out right-wing rants because if I wanted to listen to Limbaugh like/lite audio, I'd move to the US (Obama is the devil/Muslim doncha know).

September 6, 2011 @ 4:55 PM

'Sauga Rick

just what we need, more "radio" from dj's past their prime and whose best days are definitely behind them......i.e. Q's Derringer, Chum Fm's Roger and Marilyn (although I must admit I don't mind Darrin) and now these two!!

Seriously Mike....do u not think that if anyone anywhere thought that if H&F had anything left to offer, they would have been hired on as a tandem somewhere by now?

Whatever the case....I hope I'm wrong and they succeed. Good luck H&F.

September 6, 2011 @ 4:59 PM

Truth

If they can show up and do their thing for an hour, it will succeed.

Podcasting is about playing to the people who actually want to hear you. That's why 40 minutes works better than 4 hours in the format.

September 6, 2011 @ 6:13 PM

Jason P

You're gonna hype this for 38 days before we get to hear something?

Ahh well, #letsbedoing in in 38 days

September 6, 2011 @ 8:36 PM

andrew

@ "Sauga Rick

Truly believe what your saying.
Time to move on H&F. Your shtick was done a long time go.

I'm sure Mike will keep us all posted on their progress & hyped up till D-day.

September 6, 2011 @ 9:08 PM

Cambo

@Sauga Rick

I don't think you quite understand.

Radio is all about corporate image now. If you don't fit the corporate mold, you're done. Gone.

In podcasting- there are NO restrictions. They can let ANYTHING fly. Imagine radio without the CRTC. THAT'S what this will be. No corporate heads barking at what you can/can't do. No consultants telling YOU what YOU should sound like.

I think you'll hear something VASTLY different from these 2. And will likely be 100x better than the politically correct and tame BS on the radio now.

September 7, 2011 @ 7:54 AM

McNulty

Fred isn't a right-wing nut like you see in the states. Sure he loves Ford and Harper just a little too much but he isn't a Tea Partier. Give the man some credit. I disagree with a lot of what he thinks but he is reasonable.

September 7, 2011 @ 7:54 AM

David

I'll be interested to see (hear) if they can pull this off. Comments from above about the differences between podcasts and corporate radio are on the mark, so we'll see if H&F can be entertaining under this format.

Now with that said, morning zoos and most radio formats died a painful death with me a loooong time ago. I still listen to talk radio occasionally, when I need a quick dose of sports, news, or politics. And in very small doses I can listen to a particular classic rock station on the weekends when they just play music and rarely talk, but that's my limit. I can do about 30-45 minutes of either before I switch off.

So yes, I am tainted and biased already, but I will give the guys a chance. Who knows? It might be a pleasant surprise.

September 7, 2011 @ 10:09 AM

Ryan G

My main thought is - will people, here or otherwise, take the time and the extra steps to go and listen to the podcasts?

We are a captive audience in our cars driving to work and back, so other than turning the radio off, we have no choice but to listen.

With podcasts, we have to seek them out and stream them or worse, download, and with our busy schedules, is H&F content relevant enough for us to "work" for it?

We might say the same thing about going to a blog like this one, but it's different, in that you can pop in and out in a few seconds, whereas podcasts, you need to commit some time to get the context of the content.

Interesting experiment. I'll definitely check it out, at least a couple of times. Good luck gents!

September 7, 2011 @ 11:37 AM

Larry C.

Streaming in cars is imminent - like these guys were in the 90's, I think they're ahead of the curve.

September 7, 2011 @ 1:21 PM

Bry

Cool, is there anway of streaming their show onto my Blackberry?

September 7, 2011 @ 1:55 PM

elvis

@Larry C. - really? Adam Carolla has been doing a podcast since he was canned from morning radio in 2009. It is one of the most downloaded podcasts on iTunes and was voted the best audio podcast of 2009. This is not a new idea.

September 7, 2011 @ 6:41 PM

Truth

"Pop in and out in a few seconds" media is exactly what people hate about AM/FM radio now.

A podcast like this isn't "The Competition" anymore because few who are going to listen to it are listening to terrestrial radio now anyway. At least not on purpose.

Other podcasts aren't "The Competition" either, because you can listen to them too, and everyone wins.

September 7, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

Jerry

@elvis
I think Larry meant H + F are getting established before everyone's doing it - and everyone will do it as regular radio falls apart.

September 7, 2011 @ 7:08 PM

Craig Milton

...and then suddenly, everything was right again with the universe.

September 7, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

elvis

@Jerry - it still doesn't make sense.

September 7, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Truth

Carolla doesn't have big advertisers. Affiliate marketing like Amazon pays some bills. Also charging for his live shows and standup act.

But a gamble on that changing is a good idea. Corporate world is still grappling with how Facebook works.

What does it matter who was first?

September 7, 2011 @ 9:28 PM

elvis

@Truth - it doesn't. Just correcting the facts. Also trying to ensure Larry C. realizes there is a world outside of Toronto.

September 8, 2011 @ 5:27 AM

pb

VERY exciting! You have to love Humble and Fred. Can't wait...as was mentioned...let's be doing it!

September 8, 2011 @ 2:13 PM

Wemgadge

Podcasting worked to get Biggs and Barr a new gig on radio. Why can't it work for Humble and Fred? Good like guys! Grats to Colleen as well for landing on her feet at Vinyl.

September 9, 2011 @ 1:57 PM