My Lunch With Humble and Fred

humble and fred radioI just returned from lunch with Humble and Fred. Normally that's not a blog-worthy event, but this was a business lunch at Humble and Fred headquarters in lovely industrial Etobicoke. We're on the verge of trying something very cool.

I won't divulge any details... at least not yet... but I will tell you this. Humble and Fred Radio is coming soon and it promises new Humble and Fred content every business day. If you remember Humble and Fred from their hey day in Toronto, you'll finally be able to enjoy their fresh report once more. I think it's revolutionary.

I hope you'll be there when things start to happen this fall. If you're planning on being there, don't be shy... leave a comment so we can get our hopes up!

elvis

How about if we don't plan on being there?

August 16, 2011 @ 1:59 PM

4x4 Time

Remembering something from their "Hey day" and expecting something "fresh" is a tall order. What will be so "revolutionary" from the same old same old on radio today that will make people tune in?

August 16, 2011 @ 2:01 PM

If you don't plan on being there, then I especially want to hear from you!

August 16, 2011 @ 2:01 PM

Megan

So there!! Wahoo!! Please be on satelite so I have something to listen to on the horrible drive to work!

August 16, 2011 @ 2:03 PM

Anonymous (just to be on the safe side)

Too young to have heard them on the radio, Blundell had taken over already, and I wouldn't listen to that lame EZ-Rock Station. Heard good things about them though, except maybe for Fred's Right-Wing Obsession. I'll give them a chance if they're on a decent music station.

August 16, 2011 @ 2:21 PM

Ray

I'm so there! Radio has sucked for me. I've turned to Sportstalk only for the past few years. I'm glad the Jays have been worth talking about this year, as it was painful the last couple of years having to listen to desparate and delusional Leafs talk through the summers.

August 16, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

Il Duce

Mike, will Ed the Sock be writing Humble's material?

August 16, 2011 @ 2:58 PM

Christina

I'll definitely be there! Loved Humble and Fred on the Edge years ago. A welcome change from what's currently on-air.

August 16, 2011 @ 3:00 PM

Jeff

I guess I'm going to have to learn how to get podcasts on to my iPhone.

August 16, 2011 @ 3:04 PM

Mike from Lowville

I was hoping for a little more than a short daily bit but, I will listen all the while hoping that some intelligent corporate management type (oxy-moron)picks them up. Maybe the NEW country station out in the Hammer. I'd love a little Taylor with my Humble and Fred. ;O)

August 16, 2011 @ 3:45 PM

Jason C

Sweet.

August 16, 2011 @ 3:53 PM

ron

Propane!

Hopefully on Sirius...

August 16, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

Irvine

Mr Boon. Define "cool".

Pardon my cynicism but I can't help but be that way. The trend seems to have unemployed radio people suddenly embracing new media. They start off with a bang and inevitably the quality & frequency of the work fades away. As someone that once programmed & owned a couple of online stations, I can attest it requires a great deal of work and money. My own online stations consumed $300-500 a month in streaming costs PLUS software along with 20+ hours a month spent looking for new music. Just because their is no financial barrier to the start-up doesn't mean new media is easy.

Not to say it can't happen. David Marsden & Deadly Headley were involved in an online startup. It goes way back but I believe it was called Virtually Canadian which later became Iceberg (which I believe was acquired by Standard, now Astral, as a entrance point into new media).

Standard's attempt at a foray into New Media was a failure. That's no surprise either. How can a person that defends the bland homogenized nature of modern radio be expected to create something innovative? In the case of David Marsden, his track record HAS been an innovator. Whether it was CFNY, Coast 800 in Vancouver, his innovative time at FLOW 93.5 as PD or now at the Rock. All of it was him pushing the envelope. He's the exception, not the norm

And I somehow doubt Fred or Humble are going to step outside the norm. Fred belongs on talk radio or as an opinion writer for a newspaper. Humble is definitely multifaceted (books, broadcasting, perhaps TV).

Could a podcast or Youtube cast work? Sure. Matt Schichter has successfully created "The Backstage Pass" for nearly a decade. Last I checked it was on iTunes. New Media is a labour of love that sometimes pays off.

I'm dubious, but nonetheless, good luck.

August 16, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

Liz

Count me in! I'm of the vintage who remembers listening to Fred's Snow Removal Machine while getting ready for school. Bring it on!

August 16, 2011 @ 4:38 PM

Boomer

The boys are back in town!

August 16, 2011 @ 4:54 PM

Teena

I miss Howard and Colleen in the morning:(

August 16, 2011 @ 4:57 PM

MJ

Liked these guys in the day, but I have really been turned off Fred by his crazy right wing baiting on his web site. Had I known his politics in the day - I doubt I would have continued to listen to them. You can't go home again. I also doubt that I would expend any energy more than tuning an FM radio station to hear them. Downloading a podcast or watching youtube?? C'mon. Before they lose a bunch of their own money, they should give this some real thought.

August 16, 2011 @ 5:22 PM

Sam from England

Please, please, if it isn't a podcast, make it a podcast as well. Your overseas listeners (i.e. me) won't be able to listen live so need podcastification!

August 16, 2011 @ 5:59 PM

Rick C in Oakville

MJ, I think the right wing opinions just happen as you get older, myself included and I'm about the same age as Freddie.

It has to be something I can get in my car, maybe like the Howard 100 on Sirius with Stern, I can pop in and out all day and catch up, as I don't have a lot of time at home to listen to a Podcast (I'm also technically challenged and wouldn't even know how to upload one)
Like Liz i loved the Snow removal machine and Mr. Goohead era of H&F radio, give it a shot boys the world is evolving and I'm sick of the corporate radio phenomenon.

August 16, 2011 @ 6:16 PM

Digger

I think Freddie's politics can be nicely summed up with this quote:

"Anyone who is not a Liberal at the age of 25 has no heart and anyone who is not a Conservative at the age of 45 has no brains." – The Right Honourable Sir Winston Churchill

August 16, 2011 @ 6:58 PM

David

Good one, Digger. That's pretty much what happened to me!

August 16, 2011 @ 9:00 PM

Elba

I'd listen to Howard again, no problem. Freddie? Not so much. I'd give their show a listen or two, though.

August 17, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

Wayner

Admittedly some of Freddie's opinions have turned me off and I had I known their extent years ago I probably would not have listened to H&F as religiously as I did. However, as I recall, Freddie's opinions have always been right-wing. It may have been Humble that brought him back to the centre.

As long as it is not on satellite I will be listening.

August 17, 2011 @ 11:03 AM

Liz

MJ - WTF? There's so much more to a person and their discourse than their politics.

Rick C and Digger framed things well. As usual.

August 17, 2011 @ 1:05 PM

le frere

i hafta wait until OCTOBER for this shit? PUT IT UP NOW

#kthxbuhbye

August 17, 2011 @ 2:05 PM

Pete McPhedran

I agree with many others here, Freddie would be the only thing holding me back. I'll listen in up front, but if it's anything like his rhetoric on his blog, that'd be the end for me.

--Pete

August 17, 2011 @ 2:46 PM

Ken

I will be tuned in and looking forward to it!!

August 17, 2011 @ 3:34 PM

Al

It's about time! Who does the hiring for most of these stations? Can't wait.

August 17, 2011 @ 5:07 PM

Mike from Lowville

@Digger, The Right Honourable Sir Winston Churchill was a war monger and an asshole, my grandfather told me so!

August 17, 2011 @ 8:11 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

ill be there! cant wait!

August 17, 2011 @ 11:24 PM

Chelsea

Looking forward to it.

August 18, 2011 @ 7:38 AM

Il Duce

@Mike from Lowville

Wow!! Since it's coming from you I guess Sir Winston Churchill must have been. Despite all historical fact that says other wise.

August 18, 2011 @ 1:54 PM

All a gaga in Mississauga

Can.... hardly...... wait.......

August 18, 2011 @ 2:33 PM

El Torpedo

So Wayner, MJ - let me get this straight. You both admit to having enjoyed Humble & Fred back in the day, but if you had realized back then that he didn't think like you, you wouldn't have enjoyed the show? Wow. And they say conservatives are intolerant.

August 18, 2011 @ 8:42 PM

El Torpedo

Oh by the way - Irvine! Again with the "I produced online radio shows..." story? Jesus you're a bore. Do you ever get tired of talking about yourself? Stopped reading that gigantic flatulence as soon as I read the first paragraph.

August 18, 2011 @ 8:54 PM

Wayner

El Torpedo

Back in the day I tuned into CFNY primarily for the music not so much the announcers. To me H&F were a bonus.

At that time if any announcer's politics (right or left)were at the forefront of their shows I would have had second thoughts. So yes, I might have not enjoyed the show or even listened.

But hey were taking over 20 years ago and in hindsight...

August 19, 2011 @ 2:01 AM

Chip Truck in the Sky

The Tin Palace Park houses some mean talent.
Fred-Dan-Dani-Darren-Lori-Rammer-Jackie- sort of puts Burleigh Falls on the map.

September 1, 2011 @ 7:59 AM