Jaromir Jagr and the Sands of Time

Jaromir Jagr has cleared waivers and has been lent by the Calgary Flames to the HC Kladno in the Czech league. With Jagr's NHL career seemingly over, something has become true for the first time in my life...

I am now older than every player in the NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB. Heck, you can throw MLS and the CFL in for good measure. I've never been able to make this claim before, and going forward it will forever be true.

No matter how old I felt, I could always point to Jagr and say "he's older than me, and he's still playing in the NHL". It's the end of an era.

jagr

dale

Just imagine what his stats would be like if he didn't go to KHL - for 4 years during the prime of his career? A lot of people disliked him when he came to the NHL because he was different with the mullet & his celly's. As time went on he became even better as a player & as a person.
One of my top 5 players & best of all time. #99, Orr, Howe. Mario & Jags.
Never say never, next year NHL again?

January 29, 2018 @ 8:45 PM

@dale

He's an owner of HC Kladno. Betcha dollars to donuts he plays there again next season.

January 29, 2018 @ 9:16 PM

dale

@Mike
If he has a chance he will go for record of most games as only a few behind Gordie & most goals behind #99 in NHL.
Someone may take a chance, hopefully not the Leafs but the Habs may.

January 29, 2018 @ 9:27 PM

mrmojorisinca

I was good with his retirement until I read this, come on I come here for hope :)

January 30, 2018 @ 11:01 AM

@mrmojoisinca

Remember, Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

January 30, 2018 @ 11:12 AM

mrmojorisinca

and there is the silver-lining :)

January 30, 2018 @ 11:16 AM

Urooj Islam

The age of active players never made me feel old as a sports fan as I entered my 30s.

However, watching the kids of athletes I grew up watching begin their own pro careers along with guys my age becoming head coaches and general managers makes me feel old.

The Los Angeles Rams have a 32-year old head coach, the Arizona Coyotes have a 28-year old GM. Vladimir Guerrero's son is a Blue Jays prospect. That stuff makes me feel ancient.

January 30, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

@Urooj Islam

The Jays' top two prospects are both sons of players I grew up watching.

And the Leafs have Nylander and Kappenen.

It's crazy.

January 30, 2018 @ 1:59 PM

m m

What, no more Tim Wakefield? I'm shocked, I tell you. He was one of the last in the same category as Jagr.

January 30, 2018 @ 3:25 PM

WCI

Mike, I think it's a little dramatic to imagine it's "the end of an era" lol. Years ago TSN used to have a little minute on him..how he wore 68 because it represented the year tanks from Russia invaded his country or something like that.

January 30, 2018 @ 4:35 PM

@WCI

Did you read the entry?

The era it's an end to is the era of a player being older than me.

January 30, 2018 @ 4:36 PM

Justin

My favourite Jagr stat, courtesy of ESPN:

"The oldest active player in the NBA is Vince Carter (41 years old). Jagr already had 322 goals and 807 points in his NHL career when Carter made his NBA debut."

January 30, 2018 @ 4:38 PM

WCI

Yes I read it Mike, but "end of an era" is like when a restaurant closes down that's been around 50 years. Not that you are now older than the entire NHL ;-).

January 30, 2018 @ 4:44 PM

restaurant closes

I really miss The Blue Cellar Room.

January 30, 2018 @ 6:34 PM

Rick

Many of his goals I will remember - but I think his biggest one was in Game 2 of the 1991 playoffs against New Jersey in OT. Had we lost that game, New Jersey would have been up 2-0 in the series and there most likely wouldn't have been Frank Pietrangelo saving us in Games 6 and 7. And Mario scoring his greatest goal in Game 2 against the North Stars in the Finals.

January 31, 2018 @ 9:03 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Urooj Islam - I'm only 36, but seeing the children on Nylander and Tkachuk in NHL uniforms is making me feel old as well

January 31, 2018 @ 9:52 AM

WCI

Jagr was on the ice in 93 or 94 when I was living in Brampton and watching the playoffs at the pub in Bramalea City Centre. That's a long time ago.

Cherry always picked on this guy, but I think history will prove Cherry wrong. This guy clearly loves hockey and he lives it. He stayed in the game as long as possible & will keep playing for what is likely pittance. He's doing it because he loves it, not because it's a paycheque. That's about as real as you can get.

January 31, 2018 @ 1:00 PM

Urooj Islam

@Philly-Bob

Oh man, Michael Nylander already has two pro kids and Keith Tkachuk is about to have two pro kids as well.

These guys are going out of their way to make us feel extra old.

January 31, 2018 @ 3:50 PM

What gets me is a pro like Max Domi. In my mind, his dad was a Leaf very recently!

January 31, 2018 @ 3:51 PM

elvis

You're old. Get off my lawn.

January 31, 2018 @ 5:13 PM

WCI

I really preferred the homeless guy look man. What happened?

February 1, 2018 @ 12:15 AM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Are you older than 44-year old Bartolo Colon?

He's likely to be back pitching this year and turns 45 in May.

February 3, 2018 @ 1:38 PM

@Urooj Islam

If Bartolo Colon pitches in the major leagues this coming season, I'll stand corrected. That's a big 'if' though...

February 3, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

Urooj Islam

Don't forget Adam Vinatieri as well who just turned 45.

You really didn't research this well at all, did you. ;)

February 3, 2018 @ 6:35 PM

Doh!

Dang NFL placekickers.

February 3, 2018 @ 6:36 PM

Urooj Islam

A year later and this entry is still wrong!

Adam Vinatieri (46) will play in 2019 and Bartolo Colon (turning 46 in May) pitched in 2018 and has not retired!

February 18, 2019 @ 10:57 PM