Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 221: Kevin Frankish

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 221In this 221st episode, Mike chats with Breakfast Television co-host Kevin Frankish about his years on CKVR and CityTV and what it was like working with Ann Rohmer, Liza Fromer and Dina Pugliese. There's also a frank discussion about Jennifer Valentyne, CP24 Breakfast and the target on his back. This episode is exactly 1:15:58.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Kevin Frankish and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

Looking forward to this episode.

February 25, 2017 @ 4:08 PM

Leo

Just finished. Fantastic! Rohmer news, Valentine news, Fromer news... Kevin was a great guest and you definitely made him interesting.

February 25, 2017 @ 4:59 PM

Brandon

I enjoyed this, a solid Saturday afternoon listen.

February 25, 2017 @ 8:17 PM

Urooj Islam

I really enjoyed how open/candid he was about the Rohmer saga relative to other guests. I guess working with her back in the day has him seeing her as an equal/peer and not the "broadcasting deity" that others you've questioned about her see her as. I really hope she remains true to her word and does your show.

Overall, a really fun listen, although I'm disappointed that he didn't show up in suspenders. :(

February 25, 2017 @ 8:39 PM

Brandon

@Urooj Islam

He should have rocked the suspenders over the T-shirt in the photo. ;)

February 25, 2017 @ 8:48 PM

Patrick

I will say that going in I was expecting Kevin to be a complete and total company-man/corporate lackey given how he comes across on TV. I am so happy to admit I was wrong about him.

It was interesting to hear not only the annoyance but frustration in his voice over how things have changed over his time at CITY and his insight into the whole City-CP24 split and how there is actually hostility between the two then and I wonder if the said hostile tensions between the two places still last today.

February 26, 2017 @ 11:32 AM

Allyson

This might be the most candid interview I've ever heard with an employed media personality.

I wasn't sure about Kevin before, but now I'm a fan. You humanized him!

February 26, 2017 @ 12:42 PM

the brother

Thank you for this interview. It is really sad in recent months how they have tried to 'young up' BT with other faces so viewers won't miss Kevin when he's gone. Wish it was Kevin and Dina forever but it is so obvious they are really trying to Regis him asap and thiss is very disappointing because he seems so genuine!

February 27, 2017 @ 1:11 AM

Rick2

Nice to hear from an old Scollard Hall Alumni.. I was there at the same time, a few years ahead of him. He was a nice, friendly guy back then. I remember the old Maclean Hunter cable days, when you would see him covering the santa clause parade, among other thing - it made for some must see TV (just kidding !!)

February 27, 2017 @ 9:17 AM

Beatts

Great episode. Better than I expected honestly.

Was big Breakfast TV fan for years but through time Frankish and Frank Ferragine eventually molded into the same swarmy Eddie Haskell like character that made it unwatchable.

The straight talk was nice to hear. Would love to know more about the "big personality" of Jenn Valentyne. There's more tidbits to that story for sure.

February 27, 2017 @ 10:45 AM

Freedom 55

Looking forward to you having Ann Rohmer on so you can finally get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding her retirements. Then you can finally move on from always bringing it up with all your guests :)

February 27, 2017 @ 12:44 PM

@Freedom 55

I'm very clear on this rule... if I'm talking to someone who worked / works with Ann (Stephanie Smythe, Dwight Drummond, Steve Anthony, Kevin Frankish) I'm most definitely going to ask about the retirements. :)

February 27, 2017 @ 2:59 PM

elvis

You care more about Ann's retirements than she does!

February 27, 2017 @ 7:08 PM

@elvis

To be determined!

February 27, 2017 @ 7:09 PM

The Voice of Reason

@Mike

Impressive.

February 27, 2017 @ 10:43 PM

JR

Enjoyed Kevin's historical perspective on things, also the Star/Telegram comparison to CITY vs CP24 was a great analogy.

Nothing but crickets when Kevin brought up Glenn Cole who was a Citynews legend. He had the assignment desk before Mark Dailey and was there most of the 80's. Instead of the tired Ann Rohmer speculating maybe dig deeper with your guests.

February 28, 2017 @ 12:34 PM

Nebojša

Enjoyable episode. Frankish was more than just frank-ish. Way more forthcoming than I had expected, actually.

Like one of the previous commenters I also thought he'd be a generic company lap dog fearful of the corporate God, singing corporate praises, droning on, and running out the clock like Greg Brady did a couple of episodes ago. However, to Kevin's credit, he actually engaged, stating opinions and sharing impressions like a normal and free human being would.

February 28, 2017 @ 5:47 PM

Jared

To be honest, I didn't listen to this podcast until after I read the comments from people who had already listened. I was expecting him to be walking on eggshells but he made it clear that his mouth can get him into trouble. He may not jump over the line, but he'll certainly toe it. This episode was certainly refreshing. This sounds horrible but we keep talking about how media outlets are getting rid of some of their long serving media personalities because they're too expensive. Back in the early 2000's, WKBW in Buffalo offered some of its personalities a pay cut. I doubt Kevin is living paycheque to paycheque but if the time came that money was an issue why not offer to stay on with a pay cut? I know that's unpopular but I'm sure he'd still be making a decent amount of money.

March 1, 2017 @ 11:49 AM

Ima Fakeologist

I too am tired of Anne R. talk. Mrs. Fakeologist watches Kevin all the time and he always comes across as stiff and not fitting in as a Today-show-style host.

That all said Kevin sounds like a terrific guy that you'd definitely like to have a beer with.

One of your best interviews.

March 2, 2017 @ 7:06 AM

Jeff

My memory may be failing but I remember Kevin saying that the live eyes were being cancelled himself on air. And Kevin said that everything came off the top of his head. Anyone have footage of Kevin saying this goodbye to her?

March 3, 2017 @ 8:03 AM

The Live Eyes being cancelled was definitely in the Rogers press release. They were being cancelled so there was no longer a job for Jennifer.

March 3, 2017 @ 8:05 AM

drivetimeRicky

Agree. Nice interview; Kevin was very forthcoming. Yes, the Live Eyes "spin" was used as a pretext...or spin but obviously it ain't true! Live Eyes have been all over the city, including at my major intersection several times since. People, there is a common thread here and the reason(s) don't really matter. So, it shouldn't be surprising to anyone; it isn't to most of us in the media. The point is...I said it with Ingrid Schumacher...and Toronto Mike quoted Christine Bentley's boss...and the same happened with Gord Martineau. Their "time was up". In each of these cases, these personalities were 1) around 30-40 years, 2) made hundreds of thousands each. Revenues, especially in radio and to City's News at 6pm have fallen dramatically. Gord and Anne R. each made several hundred grand...on a show that is a perennial #3 in the ratings at best. With falling revenues (and sometime ratings) City News at 6 could no longer afford the high salaries. Goodbye. Sometimes the answer is simple, "her...or his...time were up". I know this for fact in at least one of the cases mentioned.

March 5, 2017 @ 10:49 AM

drivetimeRicky

correction: Not Anne R. I meant Anne M...when she co-hosted Citynews with Gord. (although there are some similarities with the Anne R "retirements" too!)

March 5, 2017 @ 10:51 AM

Al The Royal Pain

This was a great epsiode! You were on point and Kevin was as open and honest as I felt he could be without ruffling too many feathers. It was refreshing to get that honesty from someone still employed in the business! Probably one of the better episodes. Well done!

March 6, 2017 @ 10:14 AM