Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

GUNTer

whaa?? im first?
just a lame observation but i need to tell someone! last night i was watching tv and that commercial for 'acorn stairlift' came on. in the very beginning when there is a shot of the old guy at the top of the stairs - if you look up - the smoke detector is hanging by its wires and not screwed up. hahahah
awesome info - i know.

September 9, 2016 @ 9:07 AM

Ryan G

That's pretty funny Gunter. Some lazy ass production right there.

I've seen that or similar ads and the (older) person is typically sitting on that thing wearing nice clothes, perfectly coiffed hair and a big smile on their face. It's like every time they go upstairs to take a piss or go to bed this thing brings a shit eating grin to their face like they're on a ride at canada's wonderland. I could see i might smile the FIRST time I used it..but come on.

More realistically they should feature a fat ass walmart type dude sitting in urine soaked track pants, dishevelled hair, hunched over with a massive scowl on his mug as a result of the fact that HE CAN'T FUCKING WALK UP THE STAIRS. And the things moves so damn slow too. Put an extra gear in the Acorn machine, and maybe offer a slingshot type feature that propels you out at the top to make it a bit of fun.

September 9, 2016 @ 9:27 AM

I watch a fair amount of CBC News Network and I've noticed an inordinate number of ads on that station are for old people shit, like the bathtub you walk into or the elevator staircase thingy.

On another note, if you haven't pledged my Terry Fox Run yet, you're anti-Canadian and anti-Terry. Do it here: http://www.terryfox.ca/torontomike

September 9, 2016 @ 9:30 AM

Quint

In Canada, the average male lives to be 81.24 years old.

So if a guy dies at 82, he lived longer than average.

Sounds too young to this old fart.

September 9, 2016 @ 9:33 AM

James Edgar

@ Ryan not sure who you hang with that has one of those chair lifts but the only person i know is my Brother in law.

He has parkinsons and they have the lift so he doesn't have to go live in some shithole home.

I suspect most people with that kind of device are in a similar circumstance."fat ass walmart type dude" probably can't afford homes with multiple floors.

they just roll around on their "Scooters"

September 9, 2016 @ 9:52 AM

Rick C in Oakville

@ Gunter and Ryan G, made me howl you two, very funny!
Thursday I welcomed my first Grandson to the world, Malcolm Christopher. At. 55 I am at the young age of grandparenting, which is cool. Hope to spend a great deal of time with this little man going forward.
Cheers all.

September 9, 2016 @ 9:55 AM

Congrats Grandpa Rick C in Oakville!

September 9, 2016 @ 10:04 AM

And thanks McNulty for your Terry Fox Run pledge!

September 9, 2016 @ 10:06 AM

Ryan G

wow James now I feel terrible.

Aaaaand that's a complete lie. I do not.

Reminds me of Gilbert Godfried who was the first comedian to make a 9/11 joke....about a week after 9/11. (see what i did there - comparing my joke to 9/11 makes my joke not offensive at all)

Yes, I empathize with a person with a debilitating condition, but we all gotta laugh at life and not take it so seriously. All of it. As Quint mentioned above, we only got so much time before we slither off this mortal coil, so, in the immortal words of Jim Morrison: "i wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames"

September 9, 2016 @ 10:07 AM

mrmojorisinca

anyone here going to watch the World Cup of Hockey?
I watched a little bit of the North America Vs Europe and man are the young guns fast!

September 9, 2016 @ 10:15 AM

@mrmojorisinca

With no Jays game, I found myself watching some of that game as well.

Yes, it's a cash grab, and a little too gimmicky for my liking, but when Canada plays, I'll likely be watching.

September 9, 2016 @ 10:16 AM

Cheryl

I am okay not being first. Well, how about those Indians. They won yesterday. Mike Napoli hit another home run. This is great. My Orioles and Diamondbacks both had the day off. I thought the curling spiel started today, but started yesterday instead. Kean lost two games which sucks. That's no good. I am already losing the football pool as the Broncos beat the Panthers by a measly point. This really is no good. I hope I do a lot better on Sunday especially with wins by my Ravens and Cardinals.

September 9, 2016 @ 10:17 AM

Barry

I might watch some of the World Cup of Hockey when it gets going in earnest.

The marketing has been a real turn off -- the forced "who owns hockey" silliness and the barf-inspiring "hockey invented Canada" BS. But I do like international hockey.

It's not the same as when this tournament was the Canada Cup, but then again, it was the Cold War that made international hockey so compelling in those days. Back then the Soviet squads were these mysterious machines that you'd only see at the Olympics, World Championships, and Canada Cup, and the Canada Cup was the only time we'd be able to have our best players. I'm not sure anyone who wasn't around for the 1987 Canada Cup can truly appreciate how intense that three-game final was.

September 9, 2016 @ 10:35 AM

mrmojorisinca

for sure its a cash grab, but if the hockey is good then I think it will catch on..and I believe best on best will bring out the best..especially since the players are making money from this as well..

September 9, 2016 @ 11:00 AM

Hans

I have no interest in the world cup of Rogers Hockey and will not be watching any of it. I just hope for all NHL teams and players sake that no one gets seriously injured in this farce for a money grab and puffing Gary's ego as he tires to give the international hockey feds (and the Olympics) the middle finger.

September 9, 2016 @ 11:16 AM

Douglas

@Rick C - Congratulations on being a grandfather! 55...not that young for being a grandfather, but I say that after a couple of personal experiences that shifted my perspective. The first was when my nephew was born. His grandmother was 38 at the time. That was my "record" for years. In 2008, I was dating a woman who was from Newfoundland. We were at a birthday party for a friend of hers who was turning 36. I was the only person at the party who was not "away" (from the Rock). As if that wasn't awkward enough on its own, when I was introduced to the birthday girl, she had a newborn in her arms. "...and this is your daughter?" The response, with a huge smile, "No, she's my GRANDdaughter!"

September 9, 2016 @ 12:15 PM

GUNTer

@ Rick C
Awesome news for you and your family. Enjoy!

September 9, 2016 @ 1:21 PM

And thank you Devin for your pledge!

And markosaar!

September 9, 2016 @ 2:09 PM

@mrmojoisinca

Very cool. I remember when Mike Smith wore a Hip mask.

September 9, 2016 @ 3:00 PM

Sepp Blatter

I need some help.I am trying to fill out my Curling Trading Card Set.
I am short 1 Brad Gooshoe and The whole family of Howards.
I have appox.62 Kean cards seams every pac I buy has at least 3 Kean cards.
I have so many Kean cards my son and step daughter have all their spokes in their bikes filled with Kean cards,plus Kean cards are on the legs of my patio set and between the door jam on my garage door.
I am willing to trade 10 Kean cards for every 1 of the cards I need ??
If my back is to the wall I will also add 65 cents of Canadian Tire money to sweetin it.

Thank you all.

September 9, 2016 @ 3:23 PM

Thanks Doug for pledging my Terry Fox Run!

September 9, 2016 @ 3:45 PM

Douglas

My pleasure, Mike. You're running for a good cause. The C-word has struck my family too often. At the immediate level, we're batting .500, which isn't good enough here, and why we all need to support the ongoing research to eventually win.

September 9, 2016 @ 4:37 PM

Wally

I would absolutely love to see a Champions League style hockey tournament held in different venue's every year.

For those not familiar, Champions League in Europe is the notion of sending 1 or more teams from a professional league into a tournament. It would be amazing to see say, the Stanley Cup finalists (2 teams), KHL finalists (2 teams), Swedish Elite League champs, Swiss League champs, Finnish League champs, Czech League champs, Slovakian champs, etc. all entered into a tournament held over the summer. If one of the "lesser" leagues begin to grow and start winning games in their tournament, they could knock off 1 of the 2 spots for NHL/KHL and send their 2 finalists.

Imagine the Pittsburgh Penguins vs Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

This will obviously never happen, but one can dream.

September 9, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

Douglas

As the article notes, Buffalo games can be very affordable. Bills tickets have been in or at the bottom five for average ticket price in the NFL for well over a decade now. The NFL will never put a team in Toronto, even if an appropriate stadium was possible to build. Taxpayer money for billionaire NFL owners? From the government that is the biggest sub-sovereign debtor in the world? Add in that the NFL is all about TV revenue as well, then consider that the teams that generate the lowest regular season TV ratings for baseball and basketball in the U.S. are the Blue Jays and Raptors, respectively. If Toronto could get an NFL team, those Bills in Toronto tickets will look like the bargoon of the century. But I digress. I guess, as long as you don't mind the mass drunkenness around you and the high probability of coming home smelling of spilled weak beer and urine, Buffalo is at least close for GTAers to take in an NFL game. Certainly far less expensive than going just about anywhere else in the U.S.
MarketWatch.com | The NFL’s 2016 kickoff comes at a steep price for fans

September 9, 2016 @ 4:53 PM

markosaar

Congrats Rick C!

No worries Mike. Thanks for providing the blog + podcast.

In other news, I just turned off the Jays game.

September 9, 2016 @ 9:27 PM

Gary Middleton

Hans, I don't understand what makes the World Cup a farce vs. normal NHL games. And I don't understand what makes the World Cup a cash grab vs. normal NHL games.

Is the allegation that the players will be going at half speed or something? Because I don't recall that being the case at previous tournaments of this kind. But maybe I'm not properly recalling whatever came after Canada Cup '91.

September 9, 2016 @ 10:02 PM

Thank you Brian Gerstein!

I've had to up my target from $500 to $750. You guys are awesome.

September 9, 2016 @ 10:07 PM

gary middleton

Mike, it was between that and an Acorn stair lift. Guess I'm pretty suggestible.

September 9, 2016 @ 10:46 PM

twins from bolton

Son went to the game tonight & was home in Bolton before 9th inning started.
Brutal. Losing 2 series to TBay & Yankees & winning only 1 game of 6 against 2 of weaker team in AL a week ago.

On a roll now to miss playoffs completely, not even wild card spot.

If they don't get to playoffs I can see major changes for next year.
Bautista go away & try to get your $20MM/yr with others as you may be lucky to get $10MM/yr elsewhere. Edwin your shoulder must be sore from the parrott run in July/early August. Gotta sign back to BJays.
No Rain in late Aug. or early Sept. A dry spell for JD & has given away VP considerations this yr. lately.

Congrats to Bolton Braves Baseball Rookie Team who won the overall Ontario BBall Campionship last weekend.

September 9, 2016 @ 11:41 PM

the brother

Jays ducking so bad. Sad that the season is about over for them.

September 10, 2016 @ 12:08 AM

Cheryl

My Orioles lost again. That's no good. Jonathan Schoop hit a home run in the losing cause. It's not good when my Orioles lose again. My Diamondbacks also lost. How about those Indians. They were losing in the beginning, but then got it tied up and Mike Napoli's 32nd homer was the winning run. That's awesome. Hope they win another one tonight and I hope that my Orioles and Diamondbacks can win as well. I will win the football pool I hope. Panthers losing wasn't good though by a measly point.

September 10, 2016 @ 6:22 AM

GDB

I watched the Jays game last night and I don't know, man. Such a big game they looked completely unprepared and unfocused.

September 10, 2016 @ 12:32 PM

I sat down yesterday to watch the biggest Jays game of the season (thus far).

I don't have a problem with them losing, even losing badly, but they really did seem unfocused. Without a doubt, they played their worst game of the season. The timing i awful, but if they bounce back this afternoon with a win, we're only a game back and we can just erase that shitshow from our collective memories.

September 10, 2016 @ 12:37 PM

James Edgar

@Ryan G got it. timing was bad my Brother in law was at my place Wednesday. REALLY hard to see him like he is now. He was a big brother to me as a kid and a great influence.

I took your comment out of context.

September 10, 2016 @ 1:41 PM

collingwood dave

@ Twins from Bolton. The Jays are 2 back with 21 to go and you are counting them out already. Come on man, you sound like my sister from Bolton. Must be something in the water.....

September 10, 2016 @ 2:44 PM

Aunt Bee

@ collingwood dave also like this line "Bautista go away & try to get your $20MM/yr with others as you may be lucky to get $10MM/yr elsewhere. "
Lucky..98 % of people would like to make 20 % of 10 million in a LIFETIME.
Ya Lucky

September 10, 2016 @ 3:53 PM

collingwood dave

@ Aunt Bee, was just trying to take a shot at a bandwagon leaver. But you are absolutely right. It is absolutely disgusting that a guy who can swing a bat can make more money that a doctor makes in a year in Ontario....

September 10, 2016 @ 4:58 PM

twins from bolton

@collingwood dave
I'm not a bandwagon jumper as I love the Jays. Played BBall a lot, coached H/L & Major Rep teams until a few years ago.

BBall is a passion for me & I don't see the same intensity with BJ's as last year. Still saying, they will be lucky to get to playoffs this year. They peaked in early August this year unlike last year when they did late Aug/early Sept.

Closing day for Bolton H/L was cancelled today with weather & tomorrow is alternate day.

With a win today, the Eastern division is now closer overall.

September 10, 2016 @ 9:11 PM

Brandon

Just a random mention that in terms of local Toronto radio and its personalities, I noticed this week's NOW (a few weeks after they had a Dani Elwell piece) had a piece focused on Jerry Agar. Alas, not so much a biography or covering the radio scene as an argument about a Tweet/re-Tweet.

Agar would be an interesting Toronto Mike guest. A bit hard to listen to his 1010 show as it's filled with "outrage" and a very American talk-radio style, but divorced from the politics and overblown style I'd be curious to hear about his career path/arc from (I believe) small-town Manitoba and Saskatchewan music DJ to how he made it to Chicago and then to Toronto.

September 11, 2016 @ 2:54 AM

@Brandon

I've connected with Dani Elwell periodically over the past few years. At first she didn't think she was worthy, then there was a logistics issue... but she now says she's into the idea and we'll make it happen.

So Dani will one day appear on Toronto Mike'd.

September 11, 2016 @ 8:34 AM

One of life's little pleasures

One of life's little pleasures ....

Is whenever a calm, rational John Moore or Mike Bendixen on a NewsTalk 1010 round table, counters Jerry Agar with fact, logic, simple decency or reasonable alternative. Hearing Agar stammer, bluster & spittle is a joy to behold.

I loathe Agar's habit of spitting out a caustic putdown of any opposing view then instantly closing down discussion and changing the topic. He always must have the last word.

September 11, 2016 @ 11:43 AM

Tom

Clinton feels faint at the 9/11 ceremony. She has to leave. Wonder Y. Maybe she is human after all & feels remorse & guilt for all the things she & her hubby have done in the past & the secrets that she knows. How she betrayed America with her ties to the Saudis. She aint as strong as everyone wants her to be. Being POTUS is not for the faint. (no pun intended).

September 11, 2016 @ 2:47 PM

dale

Today marks the 15th anniversary of 9/11 a day I will NEVER EVER forget.
I was at work & somebody came in & said a plane hit WTC & everybody at the time thought a small plane & an accident. All hell broke loose later when 2nd plane hit. Everybody went to common room to watch TV for most of the day. There were tears & emotions from all of us.

My kids were in grade 4 & were sent home with a note from school that if any questions arise you as parents explain & if you need any help call the school anytime in next 48 hrs (there was a # as councilors were available 24hrs for 2 days).

A day for history that we all remember but wish never happened.

The world has been changing ever since for the worse IMO.

Life goes on & thoughts are with those who were affected in anyway Sept. 11, 2001

September 11, 2016 @ 3:05 PM

This is pretty interesting doc about the final hours before everything changed.

September 11, 2016 @ 3:07 PM

Anonymous

Buck is HORRIBLE and Pat manages to be worse.

September 11, 2016 @ 3:41 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Orioles. They were awesome. Anyway, Chris Tillman pitched great yesterday and Michael Bourn hit another homer. So awesome. My Diamondbacks lost another one though. How about those Indians. Corey Kluber pitched an awesome game. Carlos Santana had another home run, a three run shot. Wonderful. As for football, great Ravens win. That's awesome. My Cardinals lost though which is not a good thing. Elsewhere, the Bengals beat the Jets which is a loss for my pool. Chiefs beat the Chargers, but they are both in my pool. Eagles beat the Browns and again those are both in my pool. Same for the Colts beating the Lions. Packers won which is a win for my pool. Cowboys lost which is a loss for my pool and Titans lost which is another pool loss. Oh, Seahawks won, but I have the Dolphins as well so that would have been a win either way. For everyone else like the Texans and Bears and the Bucks and Falcons, I don't have those teams and I don't have the teams who are playing tonight either.

September 12, 2016 @ 6:07 AM

Sid_V

I hereby offer a six pack of any Great Lakes Brewery beer, paid for by yours truly, to anyone that can provide the full set of rules and regs that govern Cheryl's sports pool.

September 13, 2016 @ 10:11 PM

Cheryl

Well, how about those Orioles. After getting clobbered the night before, they won which is great. Homers by JJ Hardy and Jonathan Schoop and Dylan Bundy pitched a great game. Anyway, my Diamondbacks also won last night. Two homers by Jean Sigura is awesome. Robby Ray won again. I don't want to talk about my Indians. They lost again and got clobbered. Brandon Guyer hit a home run in the losing cause. Anyway, there is curling again this weekend in Brockville. I really hope Kean can win this time. They really didn't do very well in the last spiel.

September 14, 2016 @ 8:15 AM

Deheryl

I don't want to bragg but, I went 16-0 in last weeks NFL games.
I am out to and early 16 game lead.I hope I win,I really do.

September 14, 2016 @ 10:18 AM

Anonymous

Just got wind of the Blue Jays price list for 2017..as follows

Pretty expensive 1
Quite expensive. 2
Expensive 3
Very expensive. 4
Really expensive. 5
Jesus Christ. 6

September 14, 2016 @ 4:12 PM

andrew

@Deheryl

You must have Kean in your curling pool. He was brutal last weekend as I saw, hopefully he wins for you this weekend. I really do. You'll probably win another 16 games this weekend in your football pool.
Anyways, I hope you win, I really think you will.
Is there a misunderstanding of comments from someone else who comments here who doesn't respond? I really do.

September 14, 2016 @ 5:44 PM

Deheryl

@ andrew No I have Steve and Rick in curling.I know they will both win.I want my money.

September 15, 2016 @ 5:36 AM

Cheryl

This is all good. My Orioles won with a home run alone by my favourite player today, Mark Trumbo. My Diamondbacks also won which is awesome, another couple homers by Jean Sigura. Another awesome player. How about thos Indians. That's another great win. Josh Tomlin hasn't won a game in a while so good thing he won a game again. Yes, Kean had a brutal spiel last weekend. Hopefully they will win this weekend. They have to. Tonight there is football Bills and Jets. Jets are in my pool so go Jets.

September 15, 2016 @ 6:32 AM