Toronto Radio Changes at 98.1, 93.5, 102.1 and 1010

There are a number of changes in Toronto's radio market, so let's run them down here.

We'll start with the announcement that came as no surprise. Darren B. Lamb, who recently left Roger Ashby and Marilyn Dennis at CHUM FM, replaces Mike Cooper as Erin Davis's co-host during CHFI 98.1's morning show. They're calling it Erin & Darren In The Morning.

They also unveiled their new logo.

chfinew

At the station formerly known as Flow 93-5, they've re-branded as 93.5 The Move. They'll play rhythmic hits from the 1990s and 2000s, along with current material. Here's their new logo.

move

They also fired all female on-air talent ahead of the re-launch.

Meanwhile, over at 102.1, they announced last week that they're bringing in Rick "The Temp" Campanelli as the newest addition to their morning show, but he won't join Fearless Fred and Mel until late June.

Carly Rae Meyers has left X92.9 in Calgary for the midday shift at 102.1 the Edge. Wade McNeil is leaving his evening shift, Adam gets the afternoon drive slot and Kid Craig gets eventings. I'm told more changes are coming here, so stay tuned.

If you heard episode 152 of my podcast with Pete Fowler, you heard me read the memo issued by Edge PD Stu Meyers about Martin Streek dropping an F-bomb on-air. Stu Meyers is Carly Meyers's father.

And finally, all the Newstalk 1010 shows you enjoy weeknights from 10pm to 2am are either being shuttered or moving so they can bring you a new show featuring David Eddie. That means goodbye (or see you later at another time) to The Late Shift with Gail Vaz-Oxlade, The Late Shift with Joe Warmington, The Late Shift with Bill Hayes and The Late Shift with Taggart & Torrens.

Let me know in the comments what you think of these moves, if you think about them at all.

Jason from Sudbury

What happened to Josie? Am I missing something? Who's Kid Craig? I guess this shows just how much I've been listening to the Edge lately.

February 29, 2016 @ 8:47 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

Kid Craig's been at 102.1 for at least a year now. He was on 999 Virgin Radio for stretch before that.

February 29, 2016 @ 9:00 AM

Rob J

Good on 1010 for finally extending live programming past midnight, probably for the 1st time since the conspiracy-themed Richard Syrett show a few years back.

February 29, 2016 @ 9:30 AM

That's Not My Name

So none of the previous female on-air staff could play Eminem, J-Lo, or Lady Gaga? Mastermind, JJ, and Peter Kash are still on the roster, contrary to previous reports that all the on-air talent got the boot. They're not deviating that far from Flow's playlist; this looks like name change, and format tweak.

I'm glad the 3 of them still have jobs (especially since every week it seems there's another layoff in Canadian media), but this looks really bad on Newcap. Representation matters. Why did they axe only the women?

What happens to Boom? They also play 90's. Will they go more alternative, with Flow playing Rhythmic CHR from that decade?

February 29, 2016 @ 10:37 AM

That's Not My Name

February 29, 2016 @ 10:37 AM

It's Not My Name Either

The misinformation on the firings at Flow 93.5 look to have come from a guy named [redacted]. He makes his business retweeting information he doesn't confirm. He's always had a grudge for radio too because he never made it in the industry.

February 29, 2016 @ 10:51 AM

The only Tweet I sent about Flow changes was this one:

.@Flow935 fired all their female talent today ahead of the relaunch on Monday

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) February 26, 2016
February 29, 2016 @ 11:01 AM

mrmojorisinca

and Dean Blundell still has a job?

February 29, 2016 @ 11:07 AM

That's Not My Name

@TorontoMike: you posted in Friday's 'Open Mike' that all the on-air staff got gassed.

As suspected, they're sidestepping the valid criticism on their Facebook profile.

February 29, 2016 @ 11:53 AM

@That's Not My Name

Fair enough... I've edited that comment.

February 29, 2016 @ 11:59 AM

That's Not My Name

@TorontoMike: No worries! Any plans to get the former ladies from Flow on the podcast?

Melanie posted a vlog on Youtube today about the changes:

February 29, 2016 @ 12:32 PM

The Voice of Reason

Is anyone surprised at all that Humble and Fred did not even get a sniff on this carousel ride?

February 29, 2016 @ 2:30 PM

GAry

Where is Josie? She still shows up on The Edge's website.

February 29, 2016 @ 2:50 PM

@GAry

Maybe she's still on mat leave?

I do know more changes are coming to 102.1....

February 29, 2016 @ 2:51 PM

matt

Mike is it true Greg Beharrell is returning to the edge? If so where does he fit in?

Not a fan of kid craig at all. His voice grates on me. That said never like seeing anyone lose a job.

Anyone know where Domenic Diamond is or is he still out of radio?

February 29, 2016 @ 4:31 PM

@matt

Dominik Diamond moved to Calgary and is now on Jack FM there.

I too heard that Greg Beharrell was getting a show on 102.1, but I don't yet know where they'll fit him in. He's in California, so it'll be recorded there, I believe.

February 29, 2016 @ 4:35 PM

Spirit of Radio Past

Adam is doing drive, Kid is doing evenings.

Greg currently does a one show on CFOX in Vancouver from 6pm-7pm outta San Francisco. So he'll likely occupy to the same time slot on edge.

As far as I can tell there's a gap between Carly 9am-1pm (via her twitter) and Adam 2pm-7pm (via his twitter) so perhaps Greg will be at 1pm or maybe Josie's Top whatever show?

February 29, 2016 @ 10:17 PM

K8e

I hope Kid Craig stays on regularly. He's enjoyable. Hoping Josie doesn't come back. Adding Rick to the morning show doesn't make any sense to me. Fred & Mel are awesome all on their own.....

March 1, 2016 @ 6:02 PM

John Fullerton

Do not care what they do on Toronto radio. i only listen to Sirius. Howard Stern in the AM AND HITS 1 all other times.

March 1, 2016 @ 8:42 PM

Freddie P.

@Voice of Reason - we wouldn't want the pay cut or the restrictions. Life is good on the other side.

March 1, 2016 @ 10:35 PM

For the curious, Taggart and Torrens will move their show to Sunday nights at 8pm.

March 2, 2016 @ 6:49 PM

Brian

Looked at the edge schedule for next week. Fred and Mel lose an hour. So on until 9. Carley 9-1. Alan cross 1-2. Adam 2-7 Greg 7-8 and kid Craig 8-12
Seconded about Josie. She is good doing the top 20 she does. Maybe some other specialty show. Nothing more

March 2, 2016 @ 8:09 PM

Anonymous

I miss JJ and Melanie in the mornings. They were so funny together. I started to listen to kiss 92 roz and moca and G98.7 now.

March 2, 2016 @ 10:28 PM

JT

Supposed to be a big announcement about Moore in the Morning on Newstalk 1010 tomorrow...

March 3, 2016 @ 11:49 AM

Anonymous

I must say, for someone who lost their job, Megan Coady sure seems to be in good spirits based on her IG posts. It is a shame the ladies of Flow were let go (except for J'Ness, I wonder if it was a coincidence or not). Based on the new music, you can tell they are aiming for an older audience in which I can see Megan Coady possibly not fitting the station, but the other two could possibly be due to budget constraints. JJ and Melanie did work well together and had a good morning show, but I can also see why it was removed seeing as their sister station boom who pulls in more than double the ratings doesn't have an actual morning show themselves.

March 3, 2016 @ 11:44 PM

Rachael

So where can we go now to listen to what was " 93.5 the flow". the new 93.5 is terrible and isn't playing the hits we were all tuning in for. I know countless people who feel the same way ; we are missing our 93.5. whoever wants to hear rhythmic hits can go to any other station.
RIP the flow. sincerely , missing you all day- everyday.

March 4, 2016 @ 2:26 PM

Steve

How pretentious do you have to be to use the middle initial of your name for all your show publicity?

March 4, 2016 @ 10:49 PM

@Steve

Darren B. Lamb is coming on Toronto Mike'd, so I'll ask him!

March 4, 2016 @ 10:51 PM

g. lEE

To quote Dr. Johnny Fever ..... "BOOGER" ... love the gossip.

March 7, 2016 @ 11:21 AM

2pac

I want JJ and Melaine back in the morning..my days are bad without hearing them.. :(

March 17, 2016 @ 4:38 PM

anoush

I stopped listening to Flow since they removed JJ and fired Melanie in the mornings. I hate not hearing them especially Friday mornings was the shit. I don't like the new name The Move blah blah blah I want Melanie and JJ back

April 4, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

anoush

April 4, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

Sara

Bring Melanie back to 93.5. You're idiots for letting her go.

April 10, 2016 @ 12:23 AM

Brandon

David Eddie saying on-air last night (October 16) on Newstalk 1010 that his 10pm-2am show Sundays through Thursdays is toast. He will remain on Sunday nights only with a shortened 10pm-12am slot and possibly new show name. As he explained it, program director Mike Bendixen told him that while Newstalk 1010 itself is quite profitable, amongst the Bell radio holdings that's not the case for all of them so budgets had to be tightened at 1010 and he was the "low-hanging fruit". I suspect axing Mike Bullard's noon show was budgetary as well.

This is disappointing. It was refreshing to get some live Toronto talk radio in that evening slot. It'll apparently be re-rolls and "best of the day" content now in there.

October 17, 2016 @ 6:03 AM

bev

I had already changed to another talk station at night when the variety of talk shows were removed a year ago. I still listened to Saturday night show. Mike Bullard won't be missed by me nor would the repetitive Motts who repeat the same bits of trivia several times. 1010 had a good formula at one time - perhaps 10 years ago but with all the updating and reducing, it doesn't seem to have found its direction. Too bad. It was always our go to station for years. Boring doesn't cut it in this new faster moving society. So sorry.

October 17, 2016 @ 12:26 PM

John

Really? 1010 had a good thing going with Mike Bullard and David Eddie. Refreshing to say the least in both time slots. It must be true; when the suits get involved we are all screwed! Too bad... I really enjoyed those guys...John

October 18, 2016 @ 10:39 PM

Toronto MIke'd listener is convinced Mike Bullard lost his 1010 job because of this exchange on Sept 23 https://t.co/QYeGm0tJ0s (.mp3 link)

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) October 20, 2016