The Silly Season Begins in Earnest

CHFI's Facebook page has declared that they're now playing nothing but Christmas music. Here's the official announcement.

"98.1 CHFI is now Toronto's Christmas Music Station! We're playing 100% All Christmas Music all the way to Boxing Day!

chfi

It's November 15, so that means they're playing nothing but Christmas music for the next six weeks. Here's a glance at what they've just played.

chfi2

Is it too early? Absolutely! Personally, I think December 15 would be a fine time for a stunt like this, but not a minute earlier.

The silly season is in full-effect. Only six weeks to go...

Rick C in Oakville

Must have something to do with the running of the Santa Claus parade. December 1st would work for me, but I don't listen to CHFI anyways.

November 15, 2015 @ 2:56 PM

andrew

It's 16 degrees C outside now.
They should be playing Surfin' music by Beach Boys or All Summer Long by Kid Rock.

Way TOO EARLY now as Dec. 1st at earliest for Xmas music. At a local Walmart today & NO XMAS music playing.

Outside presently in shorts & a tee shirt.

November 15, 2015 @ 3:16 PM

Rob J

Those fighting the 'war on Christmas' are failing miserably.

November 15, 2015 @ 3:42 PM

Dawn Keibals

See you in January CHFI,if i remember.

November 15, 2015 @ 5:20 PM

Lyle Lanley

Way too early.

November 15, 2015 @ 5:48 PM

jillian

Another reason to not listen to CHFI -ever.

November 15, 2015 @ 7:21 PM

Blind Dave

We were in Superstore for our regular Sunday afternoon trauma. Yup, they were playing Xmas music. I am not fond of it to begin with but somewhere between Dec 1-15 would be tolerable to me.

As Mike says, it works, otherwise stores wouldn't do it. The ratio of $$$ to pissed off shoppers must be a positive in the various marketing strategies.

November 15, 2015 @ 9:59 PM

Roshan

6 weeks of Christmas music?? That's what turns people into serial killers!

November 16, 2015 @ 6:59 AM

Wayner

This has been going on for the past 10 years. As soon as the Santa Clause parade is over, some TO stations switch their format.

I still look forward to it as much as the Christmas themed coffee cups from Starbucks and Tim's. Its only six weeks. It'll be over before you know it.

November 16, 2015 @ 9:10 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

I was in Fairview mall friday afternoon and sure enough, there's effing Santa sitting there ready to take your money when you get a photo with him. There was even a lineup. And, round up your goldfish and ferrets, because there even a special time you can go with your pets.

November 16, 2015 @ 10:53 AM

Faunie

Christmas music on the radio in November is way too early. The radio is on here during the day as I don't watch daytime TV. I have been listening to CHFI for many, many years. I will tolerate this for about a week and then switch to playing CD's that don't get played that often before tuning into CHFI again around Dec. 15th.

I am thankful that I have that option.

November 16, 2015 @ 12:49 PM

McNulty

I have a feeling that most of the people that are complaining don't even listen to CHFI in the first place.

I love Christmas and Christmas music and I agree it's too early. But that's just my opinion. It's not making me upset.

November 16, 2015 @ 3:44 PM

I know for a fact Faunie listens to CHFI.

November 16, 2015 @ 3:47 PM

Rob

Yet another example of why Toronto Mike is not a radio executive. CHFI does this for the money.

November 17, 2015 @ 4:30 PM

@Rob

Did you read what I wrote? "Is this a dumb move by CHFI? Absolutely not! For some reason, this stunt works, or they wouldn't pull it year after year. I'm sure other stations will follow suit."

And there are many reasons why I'm not a radio executive.

November 17, 2015 @ 4:32 PM

Jacob

The supermarket around the corner from me started playing Christmas music the other day.

I'm going to drive 5 extra minutes to go to their competitor, who isn't. It's extremely irritating this early, and dilutes the spirit of the holiday.

I love Christmas, but I love it in the later half of December.

November 17, 2015 @ 9:41 PM