Final Thoughts on the 2015 Blue Jays

I'm a Toronto sports fan. That means I've experienced far more failures than successes over my four decades of life. In fact, my three favourite teams have won a combined two championships in my lifetime.

That was back in '92 and '93 when my Jays won back-to-back World Series titles. That was awesome, but that was 22-years ago. I really wanted to add a third title this season, and honestly believed it would happen.

It didn't happen. This was my final tweet last night. You know the rest of the story.

I went to bed feeling numb. I invested hundreds of hours in the 2015 Blue Jays and truly loved them the way you can only love a sports team. I wanted that game, but when it came time to execute, we didn't.

This morning, as I awoke to the sounds of my 18-month old stirring in the next room, I wasn't mad or even sad. I was glad it all happened. August was bananas, September was amazing, and most of October was incredible. We'll always have Donaldson's season for the ages, Pillar's Superman catches, Stroman's legendary return, Osuna's heaters, Price's dominant regular season, Encarnacion's sweet swings, Goins and Tulo's incredible defence, Colabello's against-all-odds contributions, Estrada's unexpected excellence, and, most of all, Bautista's clutch homers, including the bat flip of the millennium. And there was more. Much, much more.

There will be no World Series championship in 2015, but an unbelievably entertaining and likeable team returned to the postseason for the first time in 22 years and gave us a ride we'll never forget.

I'm satisfied. I'm smiling now as I write this, remembering the past three months. We've got some work to do, signing key starters and improving the bullpen, but I have no doubt we'll be contending again next season.

And next season, I'll bet we win it all.

Blue Jays

dale

If you would have told me in early July the Jays going to playoff & would have bet against it. NO WAY. 50-50 win loss & 8 games behind NYYankees.

Awesome stretch run - 47-10 & going to ALDS after beating the Rangers in a fluke game with 3 errors same inning.

Personally - let Price go, sign Estrada & get bullpen help. Sanchez will be a starter next year.
A great season overall with final disappointment.

October 24, 2015 @ 5:43 PM

Rob J

Don't forget though, that fans and management in Houston, Arlington, Chicago, LA, New York, Washington, Pittsburgh, San Fran, Boston, and a few more cities have the exact same hopes and dreams for 2016, and several of these teams would already be ahead of where Tor is now.

October 24, 2015 @ 6:57 PM

Keith

Going 0-12 with RISP and not being able to score with a man on 3rd and no outs. That and the American League MVP uncharacteristicly going 0-5 when we've seen him be so clutch all season was all so gut renching once the final out came.
But this team beat such incredible odds just to get to where they got, and for that, they put Toronto on the baseball map and fans back in the seats once again. Hopefully it continues for years to come.
I also always hated hearing players say they don't know much about Toronto and if it weren't for being traded here, they never would have considered signing in Toronto as a FA.
Well that just may have changed after one of the best, most lovable teams in franchise history performed the way they did this year. Fingers crossed.

October 24, 2015 @ 7:06 PM

Kate B

The sun rises, grief is replaced by gratitude. Thanks Mike for your amazing coverage of the most awesome season. Thanks Jays for the most amazing run. The best baseball I've ever seen. The excitement I felt as a 13 year old, watching a Mayberry homerun sail into the stands at Yankee Stadium (May 1980), hiding transitors to hear the games after bedtime, and truancy from high school to the bleachers at Exhibition Place. Now as a mother, my teenagers experienced playoff fever. Priceless. The agony of baseball withdrawl, cold turkey. Until Spring Training, all the best.

October 24, 2015 @ 7:43 PM

Mike

It was an unreal fun and run for the last few months. It actually felt that summer was never ending. But any knowledgeable baseball fan knows that this dream year doesn't mean anything is guaranteed next year. It will be extremely difficult to even get as far as they did this year. They will have a good team but they will need a whole lot of things to go right for them even to win the division against the free spending Yankees and Red Sox.

October 24, 2015 @ 11:44 PM

Teena in Toronto

The team really came together this year! It was an exciting year of baseball!

October 25, 2015 @ 11:34 AM

Lynne

I jumped on the Blue Jays bandwagon in 1993 and never left. I loved every minute of 2015, especially the games in August. Thank you Jays - you made me very proud.

It seems people are talking about baseball withdrawal now that Toronto has been eliminated.

Am I unusual in wanting to watch every World Series since 1993? Do most people tune out because their team didn't make it? Good baseball is good baseball.

October 26, 2015 @ 8:33 AM

@Lynne

I think it's easier to enjoy the World Series when your team doesn't lose in the ALCS.

I normally watch the World Series, but this year I'm not sure I will. I feel like it should be us in there and it'll be painful to see the Royals instead.

So normally, when my Jays don't make the playoffs, I watch as much World Series baseball as I can. This year, I'm not feeling it.

October 26, 2015 @ 8:36 AM

Al The Royal Pain

This is going to be a long winter. #IsItSpringTrainingYet?

— Al Grego (@pftw) October 24, 2015
October 26, 2015 @ 11:03 AM

Broni

I'm curious of other people's rationale for who they want to see win the World Series, now that the Jays are out. I hope the Royals win, because I feel better if my team is beaten by the eventual champions.

October 26, 2015 @ 11:43 AM

@Broni

I get that rationale, but I can't cheer for the Royals. In fact, I hope they're walloped. Go Mets.

October 26, 2015 @ 11:44 AM

Lynne

@ Mike and @ Broni

I can't cheer for KC. No way! But if they win, I will feel better. Does that make any sense?

I know almost nothing about the National League, but Go Mets!

October 26, 2015 @ 2:07 PM

Dawn Keibals

If the owners of this baseball team had to make a decision right now ( humm and they do by Saturday)
Do they walk away from Mark Shapiro or Alex Anthopoulos ??
If they lose Shapiro they blow a lot of $$
If they walk from Alex Anthopoulos they lose a generation of business..
What goes around comes around..Karma Baby
There are many people in the industry and the public with a little more than just a smirk on their faces today.

October 27, 2015 @ 4:04 AM

@Dawn Keibals

Fascinating... so much positive built up and they might have fucked it all up by giving Shapiro too much power.

I'm speaking for the fans when I tell you we'll be awfully pissed if AA walks because of this Shapiro decision.

October 27, 2015 @ 8:53 AM