I Have No Patience For Your Jinx Nonsense

Call me a party pooper, but I have no patience for your jinx nonsense. The Blue Jays got hammered by the Orioles last night, and Justin Trudeau was in attendance. Stephen Harper was in attendance last Monday, another Blue Jays loss. On August 14, a game I also attended, we lost to the Yankees with Tom Mulcair at the dome.

This little coincidence has resulted in a number of MSM pieces and news reports. Social media is all over it, too. My problem with with the barrage of attention being paid to this jinx is that jinxes do not exist. Jinxes are pure fiction.

I realize superstition has been a part of baseball since the days of Abner Doubleday, but i have no patience for those who believe it actually makes a difference. Too many people see it as a real thing when it's merely fluffy filler. It's puff-piece fodder in the dog-days of summer.

I'm okay if Harper, Trudeau and Mulcair attend every Jays game for the rest of the season. After all, there's nothing they can do to help or hurt my team. It won't make a difference.

Elka Ostrovsky

I think Alex Anthopoulos should run as independent candidate in the new Spadina riding in the next federal election!
He would win in a landslide over Olivia (Puppy) Chow and Adam (Not my Dad) Vaughn...
Also so many positives about this:
Olivia,Adam,Tom and Justin could go on and fill their time with a CBC afternoon show with the
title "Wha Happen" where they could everyday explain how they all got screwed right up the...

September 5, 2015 @ 3:26 PM

Plagerism

Do you usually steal something from the newspaper and make it your own?

September 5, 2015 @ 5:55 PM

@Plagerism

I wrote this on the fly during today's game. I have no idea what you're referring to. I didn't steal a thing.

September 5, 2015 @ 6:17 PM

Aaron

@Plagerism

Can you link to where you think TM took this from?

FWIW, it's written in TM's style and something he's said several times before.

September 5, 2015 @ 8:11 PM

GUNTer

I always notice you get a bit bent out of shape when 'jinx' is mentioned. I think in actuality most people mean it tongue in cheek.
I say it myself sometimes, but, of course, do not believe in any such 'nonsense' at all.

September 5, 2015 @ 9:28 PM

@GUNTer

Maybe I've met too many people who believe in such nonsense. It really boils my potatoes.

September 5, 2015 @ 9:40 PM

markosaar

Do you really prefer your potatoes raw?

September 5, 2015 @ 10:25 PM

Speysidephil

@plagerism

So please explain your nonsense.

September 5, 2015 @ 11:13 PM

Zeke

Justin Trudeau lost to Cheryl. Mulcair lost to the White House. Harper lost to the Aboriginal First Nations.

September 6, 2015 @ 1:20 AM

Zeke's 3rd Wife (Spelling Police)

Plagiarism

September 6, 2015 @ 1:22 AM

Lynne

@ Mike

I agree. Whether they attend or not will make no difference.

Although two things made me laugh recently: Upon being questioned on the subject before Friday's game, Gibbons - with a furrowed brow - asked, "How many are running for PM?".

And somebody else said, (sorry, forgot who it was), If Elizabeth May attends and the Jays win, she could be our next Prime Minister.

Gotta laugh at it all.

PS: These September games are killing me!

September 6, 2015 @ 8:13 AM

markosaarm

To be a good netizen, I should note the image above came from "K00PER" at: https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/3jqspm/toronto_blue_jays_do_not_admit_these_people/

I was having trouble embedding the image from imgur with their usual codes, which would have had the proper attribution behind a link.

September 6, 2015 @ 8:46 AM

Now that I've had a day to reflect, maybe I shouldn't take anonymous comments using a proxy server to accuse me of plagiarism without a link or reference to where I supposed plagiarized from so seriously.

September 6, 2015 @ 12:29 PM

Cambo

All 3 agreed not to attend games anymore.

Of course not superstitious and completely coincidence, but funny all the same. The Jays lost all the games with them there

September 6, 2015 @ 12:49 PM

S.A.L.

Funny thing is.. the majority of the baseball players do believe & have all kinds of rituals for every game.. every at bat.. even every pitch… & ask anyone in the Red Nation if they believe in "The Curse".

Perhaps you get all bent out of shape about Jinx's because deep down inside you know you are one for all Toronto teams you loyally support… ;-)

Actually.. as you know.. the essence of your very name should have the exact opposite effect to a Jinx!

Full Definition of BOON

1: benefit, favor; especially : one that is given in answer to a request
2: a timely benefit : blessing

I agree with you of course… but I don't have a problem with people believing.. it's their baggage.. not mine.

For the Jays sake… lets hope we're right & you won't get blamed for a historic collapse like they did back in 87. Hey you weren't cheering them on that year where you? ;-)

#GoJaysGo #CanadasTeam #TorontoMikeIsAJaysJinx

September 7, 2015 @ 2:24 AM

fourteen

Zeke's 3rd Wife (Spelling Police)

Eggsaklee!!

Just started reading this post. The spelling jumped right out and made me laugh.

September 7, 2015 @ 11:01 AM

elvis

Hahahahaha! We got to you! You wrote an entry on how much you jinx EVERYTHING!

September 7, 2015 @ 6:21 PM

Gump

Speaking of baseball and superstitions, can anyone name a pitcher who has no problem stepping on the 1st/3rd base chalk line? Every time I get a chance to watch a pitcher as he finishes an inning (or is replaced by the bullpen) I see that they are very careful that they don't walk on the chalk. EVERY FREAKING TIME. Even if they have just been tagged with 8 earned runs, 5 BBs and 10 hits, the pitcher will avoid touching the line. You'd think that after having a crappy outing, that they *would* touch the line if only to break up the bad luck. I just don't understand it.

September 8, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

S.A.L.

Thanks Mike!

Do us all a favour & take tonight off & do a bike ride or something would ya ;-)

Also.. I noticed in my earlier entry that I forgot the word "Sox" that should have been after "Red". I imagine most people would have figured out what I was trying to say.

I was thinking about this the other night & in a way a Jinx is very real… to those who believe in them. In a game like baseball where a good portion of the game (whats he gonna pitch me next.. can I hit that curve ball etc) & performance is mental focus.

It makes me wonder how many of those one out or one pitch away from a championship game or a perfect game came down to who thought about a curse/jinx etc at that moment for a split second & blew the pitch/at bat/play… for the losers & winners of those moments (& there are countless) it is very real indeed.

I hope we win tonight… I've got my fingers crossed.. ;-) #GoJaysGo!!

September 8, 2015 @ 12:10 PM

Just remember everyone, the last time the Yankees played at the dome, I was there and the Jays won.

September 8, 2015 @ 1:06 PM

Anonymous

Your a good sport dude & a such a loyal fan for everyToronto team.. I hope you get to enjoy a world title with your children for each team at some point!

I enjoyed the 93 World Series with my father & hope to once again this year.

Win or lose… I am appreciating & actually enjoying the drive & the moment this year more than I remember from way back then. :-)

Play Ball !!

September 8, 2015 @ 8:22 PM

Anonymous

That last comment was from SAL.. on a different computer tonight.

September 8, 2015 @ 8:25 PM

We've celebrated some of Canada's successes together (two men's hockey gold medals, for example), but nothing for Toronto. I'd absolutely love to see the Jays, Raps or Leafs win it all so I can enjoy it with my kids.

September 8, 2015 @ 8:35 PM