All 39 Canadians to Reach #1 on the Billboard Hot 100

Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd is #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 this week. The Weeknd is Toronto's own Abel Tesfaye, making him the 39th Canadian to top this chart.

Here's the complete list of 39 Canadians to top the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

1. It's Love-Love-Love by Guy Lombardo
  35. What's My Name? by Rihanna featuring Drake
  36. Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen
  37. Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke featuring T.I. and Pharrell
  38. Rude by MAGIC!
  39. Can't Feel My Face by The Weeknd

McNulty

I would argue Robin Thicke isn't Canadian. He was born in LA and wasn't he raised there? Does that constitute being Canadian?

Maybe I am wrong but I think it's a stretch (and let's not claim him anyway!)

August 14, 2015 @ 3:03 PM

@McNulty

Robin Thicke has dual citizenship.

August 14, 2015 @ 3:07 PM

m m

Congrats to The Weeknd!
I would be curious to see the same list but with MAPL songs.

August 14, 2015 @ 4:15 PM

Neil Clark Warren

Robin Thicke will be the all time king of 1-hit-wonders.
He will make Billy Ray Cyrus look like Elvis !

August 14, 2015 @ 6:17 PM

NW

What? No April Wine?

Good thing that Bob Seger was born on the American side of the Detroit River.

August 14, 2015 @ 9:41 PM

Douglas

As I go through the list, I am actually surprised at how many I know, even the newer songs. I also have reactions of "Ugh!", I have not heard that one in years/never want to hear that awful dreck again, cool/good song, I'm probably lucky to not have heard that one - and more.

I think NW may be a (closet) April Wine fan from listening to Q107 since it launched decades ago, along with too many American classic rock stations (eg. Buffalo's 97Rock (96.9 if you're inclined to give it an ear)) to be a Bob Seger fan.

August 15, 2015 @ 11:10 AM

Paul

39 songs, by 29 Canadians. And SOMEBODY has to take the blame for Robin Thicke. As peace=keepers, we must oblige. An equal mix of pride and embarrassment accompanies the reading of this. Thanks, Mike. How about LP's?

August 15, 2015 @ 8:27 PM

Douglas

The American music industry being what it is, I'd bet that a Billboard list of non-American #1s would not be much longer if you excluded the British. The British punch way above their weight for music in the world - thankfully.

August 16, 2015 @ 11:43 AM

Argie

Good God! Some really bad songs on this list. As they say "there's no accounting for taste."

August 19, 2015 @ 9:45 AM