My Thoughts on The Simpsons Without Harry Shearer

They recently renewed The Simpsons for two more seasons, which will bring them to 28. But the big news is that Harry Shearer will not be a part of the cast. Shearer voiced Ned Flanders, Charles Montgomery Burns, Waylon Smithers, Seymour Skinner, Dr. Hibbert, Lenny Leonard, Kent Brockman, Scratchy, Kang, Eddie, Otto Mann, Rev. Lovejoy, Rainier Wolfcastle, Jasper, Dr. Marvin Monroe and many, many others. It's a rather significant loss.

At this point, The Simpsons has gone on so long, there's a whole generation of people like me who grew up worshipping the show and have grown incredibly indifferent over time. I was a fan since day one (literally!) and collected the first ten seasons on DVD. I can watch those early episodes over and over and over again. I loved that show.

Then, during the show's second decade, I loved it less, but I still watched. After all, even when The Simpsons aren't at their best, they're often better than whatever else is out there.

But then there's the last several seasons. I never tune in on Sunday nights anymore, and only catch up on interesting episodes that entice me, like the Lego episode. I've completely lost touch with what's going on in Springfield, but I'll still sit down and watch an early episode and laugh out loud.

I would be really upset at the show for going on without Harry Shearer if this was 15 years ago. But it's not, and I've already moved on.

End the damn show and let the tributes flow in already!

Double J

The show hasn't been good for well over a decade (the movie was unfunny too), and to make matters worse now they lost a very important cast member and they're still going on with the show? How low can it sink? For me (and many others), Seasons 3-10 are the best years of the show. After that it took a considerable dip in quality and I quickly lost interest. Now when I turn it on, I can't believe how different it is. It's rarely funny and the characters barely resemble themselves.

Since this is FOX's decision to let him go then they must have a plan in place (new voice actors? I nominate Billy West, he's great on Futurama)

BTW: first post!

May 14, 2015 @ 10:08 AM

Wayner

I watch the symptoms more out of habit than anything else. Most of the recent shows are rehashes of earlier themes and subjects. It should end now before the quality suffers further.

Futurama should have been the heir apparent. I was really disappointed when that got cancelled.

Do we know why Harry Shearer is leaving? Do we know why Harry Shearer is leaving? Is it money again?

May 14, 2015 @ 10:44 AM

Wayner

should be Simpsons not symptoms...damn spell check

May 14, 2015 @ 10:45 AM

m m

Agreed on all points. Time to take it off life support. Even financially speaking, the ratings don't support this show any more. That said, I loved the first 11-12 seasons. It was a large part of my 90s life.

May 14, 2015 @ 11:00 AM

Irv

When the Simpsons came on the air there was a huge debate over it. I can't remember the exact details, but it was displacing the Cosby Show or something like that. They felt it was "bad for families". Ironic given the accusations against old Bill.

The show was cutting edge for the first few years, after that, it went downhill. Television shows seem to be best when they're run 4 to 6 years. After that they suck. Even MASH sucked in it's final years.

May 14, 2015 @ 11:01 AM

DUTCH

The episode when the carny's (carnies) take over their house sitting at the table one of them shoves the lit cigarette up his nose and pulls it out his ass best ever! Wanna see a trick omg so funny. Loved the early stuff now not so much. Cooder Jim Varney of Ernest fame.

May 14, 2015 @ 11:47 AM

@DUTCH

Great episode.

I said, we were beaten by the best!

May 14, 2015 @ 11:48 AM

from James L. Brooks' lawyer: "show will go on, Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best.". (1/2)

— Harry Shearer (@theharryshearer) May 14, 2015
May 14, 2015 @ 11:50 AM

@Double J

Sorry, I just saw this was your first post. Welcome!

Here's hoping you start commenting more often..

May 14, 2015 @ 12:39 PM

Argie

I suppose they're still getting decent ratings for it. I can't think of any other reason its still on.

May 14, 2015 @ 1:05 PM

There may be hope yet for The Simpsons and Shearer

Hey, we tried. We're still trying. Harry, no kidding, let's talk.

— james l. brooks (@canyonjim) May 14, 2015
May 14, 2015 @ 1:24 PM

Mike from Lowville

I knew something was up when my kids stopped watching over 15 years ago!

May 14, 2015 @ 1:50 PM

Ben V

My favorite is the episode where Homer was hooked up to lie detector. Then explained how it would work. He replied yes and it blew up on the table. Thinking about it makes me chuckle to this day.

I dont even bother watching it now.

May 14, 2015 @ 3:13 PM

Jamie

Gotta love the episode when they go into hiding from Sideshow bob and hiker has to assume a new identity as The Thompsons.

Agent - Ok so for now on your Mr. Thompson.
Homer- ok gotcha
Agent- hello Mr Thompson
Homer- blank stare
Agent- remember now your Mr Thompson and when I step on your foot and say hello mr Thompson you nod
Homer- *leans in to other agent* I think he's talking to you

Such a beauty dumb homer was..

May 14, 2015 @ 7:41 PM

Aurora Bob

What, The Simpsons were still on the air?

You know, I never watched it. Never will. When I turned about 16 I stopped watching cartoons. I'm 54 now, I guess I missed a lot.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:58 AM