Tron Mini Flying Discs in My Shreddies

At some point, cereal boxes stopped containing toys. Now it's all about web codes and such. That's too bad, as getting the toy out of the box of cereal was a staple of my mornings in the early 80s, but that was a different time.

In the early 80s, I ate a lot of Shreddies. I think it was my favourite cereal for years. I have vivid memories of the cool toys I'd find in boxes of Shreddies, especially the Tron mini flying discs in 1982.

Earlier today, someone on Reddit asked about the demise of the cereal box toy, and that sparked a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Next thing you know, I'm Googling the Tron mini discs I so loved in '82, and a good man named Jason came through for me.

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 4.23.48 PM

Screen Shot 2015-03-23 at 4.23.11 PM

Steve

Remember the NHL mini-trading cards that came in any box of cereal made by Post?

March 23, 2015 @ 4:58 PM

TheSweaterTuck

It was the Ninja Turtle rings in Shreddies for me:

Looking at them now, I have no idea why I was so obsessed with these.

March 23, 2015 @ 5:12 PM

markosaar

Holy shit Mike ... one of those used to be in "the toy box" at my grandparents' farm. I had no idea where it came from.

March 23, 2015 @ 10:17 PM

Douglas

Ahh...memories of my brother and I negotiating or fighting over who should get the toy in the cereal box. Unless Mom bought two boxes because the cereal was on sale. The challenge was even greater when there was only one box at all, usually something that we brought back from a trip to the U.S., a cereal that we did not have in Canada.

March 25, 2015 @ 10:38 AM

Mike G

I remember these. There were tonnes of them in the toy box at my Grandparents house. I have memories of slinging them down the hallway and watching them ricochet off the walls.

March 27, 2015 @ 1:36 PM

Saijin

I just got a green Sark disc from Value Village. Sweet.

October 11, 2015 @ 10:25 PM