Blue Jays Have the Longest Active Playoff Drought in MLB

Blue Jays Have the Longest Active Playoff Drought in MLBThe Blue Jays haven't been in the MLB post-season since Joe touched 'em all in 1993. That was 21 long years ago.

With the Kansas City Royals clinching a playoffs spot with a 3-1 victory over the Chicago White Sox on Friday night, that's by far the longest active drought in Major League Baseball. Seattle is next, having missed the playoffs every season since 2001.

As a younger man, I took the playoffs for granted. We were there in '85, '89, '91, '92 and '93. And that was before the wildcard spots. It's hard to believe we haven't been back.

Al Reda

That's our Jays!

September 27, 2014 @ 9:29 AM

It's actually worse than just being the longest active drought in MLB. It's the longest postseason drought in any of the major professional leagues.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays, 1993
NFL: Buffalo Bills, 1999
NBA: Minnesota Timberwolves, 2004
NHL: Edmonton Oilers, 2006

September 27, 2014 @ 9:31 AM

FrenchGUy

If it wasn't for the luck of the shortened NHL season, we'd be 2/4. Sad. If you add MLS, strike up another 'win'.

September 27, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

@FrenchGUy

And if you consider the Bills have played several regular season games in Toronto...

September 27, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

Tom

Like a sexy girl in a bar; she flirts, teases, seduces, then rips your heart.

Never again Blue Jays, never again.

September 27, 2014 @ 11:53 AM

Speysidephil

Let's not forget the loss of Encarnacian which I believe started the slide, not to mention Lawrie and Lind. Had those guys been in it may have been a different ending.

September 27, 2014 @ 12:02 PM

Douglas

I'm with Speysidephil (I've actually been to Speyside, Phil!) with respect to this season. Every team battles through injuries, but the Jays were decked this year.

Having a big drought is just fitting for Toronto, whose sports fans (sic), would rather prepare for the big celebration for 50 years of losing in 2017. And they will. Mark my words. "It's been 50 years!!!" Pathetic.

September 27, 2014 @ 1:14 PM

Speysidephil

@Douglas

What brought you to speyside, not much here other than Chudleigh's and Andrews and they are south of Spey.
Nice countryside though.

September 27, 2014 @ 1:18 PM

Andrew

My cheques still clear, so I'm good with it. It's great for me working in TV sports in Toronto. I never have to worry about playoff conflicts!!

;)

Cheers,
Andrew

September 27, 2014 @ 3:25 PM

CQ

And, of Toronto's non-Saturday night Leafs teams [MLB, CFL, NBA] none of the above have ANY regular season games available upon network (OTA broadcast) TV either. I can't even remember* the last year or decade any of the above 'other three' marketed a game via a broadcast station.

However, I just watched a part of last night's Yankees at Red Sox game.
*Um, maybe the CBC showed a CFL Argos game - without sound - in the early 2000s.

September 27, 2014 @ 4:10 PM

CQ

Toronto's broadcast TV drought is worse when the U.S. national networks are factored into the equation. (All) Canadian sports teams get extremely few U.S. 'network' airings.
For the major sports, plus tennis and golf etc., U.S. teams seem to get at least one game shown each season. Obvious winning and/or big city teams do receive the bulk of the U.S. network schedulings.

September 27, 2014 @ 4:21 PM

Gary

The management team of the Jays are not winners. I am still surprised that Beeston hasn't stepped in to get someone who is a winner to run the team.

September 27, 2014 @ 4:43 PM

Cheryl

Well, it will just continue. Why are the Jays good now though. That game sucked today. It really did. My Orioles losing. It sucks.

September 27, 2014 @ 9:00 PM

@Orioles

The Jays are beating the Orioles because they Orioles already clinched the pennant and the Jays are mathematically eliminated.

These games don't matter.

September 27, 2014 @ 9:02 PM

Glen

One thing favouring the Jays next season is the Yankees and Red Sox are a mess. Both teams are old and have huge holes in their rosters that can't be easily fixed with free agency signings. Yankees did that last year and it didn't work. The Yankees are also are replacing a 40 year old shortstop with a 40 year old third baseman who's skills have been diminishing for 3 years. Boston basically traded their entire starting rotation this year. They will need to develop pitchers in the years to come. The Jays have a head start in that respect.

September 27, 2014 @ 9:34 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles will be first again in the division next year, not the Jays. Anyway, my Orioles will do well in the playoffs this year. Yes, World Series win in four or five games.

September 28, 2014 @ 6:04 AM

Douglas

@Speysidephil
Before moving to Ajax, I lived in the northwest part of Oakville. Chudleigh's and moreso Andrews were both regular visits with young children. A neighbour/friend/brother-who-is-not-my-brother and I used to cycle north of Oakville. I had a soft-coated Wheaten Terrier back then, too, which meant visits up to the breeder south of Acton. Just taking 25 gets boring pretty quickly. Any/all of the above, plus sometimes just going for a drive would see me pass through. Shame that "your" Speyside doesn't have a whisky distillery.

September 28, 2014 @ 10:20 AM

Douglas

@Speysidephil
Before moving to Ajax, I lived in northwest Oakville. Trips with my sons to yes, Chudleighs, but more often Andrews, were fairly regular. I used to cycle with a friend/neighbour/brother-who-is-not-my-brother north of Oakville. I had a Soft-Coasted Wheaten Terrier, then, too, which meant visits to the breeder who was just south of Acton. Going up and down 25 gets boring pretty quickly, and just going for drives on occasion meant plenty of exploring local backroads.

September 28, 2014 @ 10:28 AM

Douglas

Apologies on the second post - and now this third one. The first one didn't show up for several minutes, so I re-did it. Mike, feel free to delete as needed!

September 28, 2014 @ 10:29 AM

Justin

I've never paid less attention to the Jays than I did this year post-June. Didn't watch a game, didn't follow the team in the slightest. Have done the same thing every year in the past once the Jays are clearly out of it but not to this extent. After so many years of failure I can't help but lose interest.

Rogers takes enough of my money as it is, why should I dish out money for this baseball team when they refuse to? This isn't a small market team with a poor owner. The ownership must start spending money and the fans will come. Of course, I don't expect the Jays to be in the bidding for any of the big free agents again this year. That's the way it is with bad ownership.

September 29, 2014 @ 1:07 PM