Introducing the Kids to Pulp Fiction

Introducing the Kids to Pulp FictionPulp Fiction is my favourite movie of all time. Forever I've had this poster hanging in my bedroom.

pulp-fiction

Over the last few years, my son and I would talk about Pulp Fiction. He's wanted me to watch it with him for a couple of years now but I waited. My great fear is that he wouldn't be ready and he wouldn't dig it. One of a parent's most anxious moments is when he introduces his child to his favourite movie.

On Friday night, I decided my eldest son was ready for Pulp Fiction. And heck, since we were going to watch my favourite movie, I decided my daughter was ready as well. Yes, there are lots of bad words and violence, but my kids understand the context, we talk the shit out of it and I'm cool with the exposure in films and music. I appreciate not all parents are.

So the big viewing was Friday night and both kids loved it, followed the plot and pieced it together. Phew!

The big question, of course, was what was in the briefcase. I once read an interview with Quentin Tarantino in which he said it didn't matter what was in the briefcase because it just existed to move the plot along, but it's got that supernatural glow and lends itself naturally to debate. My favourite theory, which I shared with the kids, is that it contains Marsellus Wallace's soul. Google it for details... you won't be disappointed.

Have you introduced your kids(s) to your favourite movie? How did it go?

Andrew

That is an intense movie - I don't think my kid is ready for that one. Lots of humour in it too, but I don't think he'd be ready to understand the context of the film.

My favourite film is Jaws, but I won't let him watch it because I want him to still swim in the ocean with me :) We've watched most other ones together and we watched Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure last night. It was most excellent.

There are so many great films I want him to see, but a lot of them have too much I don't think he'd get right now. Maybe in a few years.

Hopefully you're kids 'get it'.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 23, 2014 @ 10:44 AM

Al The Royal Pain

My favourite movie is Grosse Point Blank. My son is 7, so it will be a little while before he'll watch that one with me. Plus, I'm not sure it will have the same effect. I think my fondness for that movie has a lot to do with the time and setting of the movie, plus the great soundtrack.

June 23, 2014 @ 10:53 AM

@Andrew

You could watch Jaws with your son, just show him the mechanical shark on YouTube first so he sees how it's all staged, then let him know more people are killed by vending machines in North America than sharks.

@Al The Royal Pain

I adore that film, but it's much better if you came of age in the 80s. The youngins who don't know the 80s will lose a lot of the context.

June 23, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Mike

That's my thinking as well. But I am looking forward to introducing my kids to some of my other favorites like: Ghostbusters, Back To The Future and Groundhog Day. Those are some in my top ten.

I'll have to wait a bit longer before we can watch Pulp Fiction, Inglourius Basterds and The Wrestler (which are also in my top 10).

June 23, 2014 @ 11:02 AM

Philly-Bob

I have introduced some of my favourite movies to my son. He's 6, so I don't think I'll be showing him The Godfather I & II yet (I typically cite II as my favourite move when put on the spot), but we have watched:

The Original Star Wars Trilogy (hence why he named our cat Yoda)

and

Transformers: The Movie (The cartoon from the 80's not the Michael Bay train wreck)

Star Wars he enjoyed as much as a 6 year old can...he loved the effects and aliens...didn't really follow the plot.

However, he LOVED the Transformer Movie. It was great to see him so thoroughly enjoy a movie that was such a big part of My Childhood. Although...there was a moment of Panic when Optimus Prime dies (spoiler...sorry). We right after had to crack open our Season 4 of Transformers so I could show him the episode when Prime comes back...

June 23, 2014 @ 11:24 AM

@Philly-Bob

I'm still holding on to The Godfather I & II as well...

June 23, 2014 @ 11:26 AM

Philly-Bob

@ Mike - Yeah...just not for youngin's

June 23, 2014 @ 11:57 AM

Andrew

@ Toronto Mike

He knows the shark is fake, it's still the imagery of it all. It's what you don't see in the movie that make it powerful. The 'what the hell is it' mystery of the ocean.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 23, 2014 @ 3:20 PM

J9

We've enjoyed introducing our favourite "old" movies to our kids (19 and 13) - such as Back to the Future, Die Hard(s), 10 Things I Hate About You, Mean Girls, etc.

The only movie which the kids did not like one bit was Caddyshack. Go figure.

We just finished watching Life on Mars with our 19-yr old and we have now started…The Wire! Who-hoo! I missed these guys.

June 23, 2014 @ 6:53 PM

Corey

This is interesting. I guess my reaction would be, "What's the rush?". Pulp Fiction is a great movie, agreed. It's also not going anywhere - it's be around in a few more years, and it's not something I'd be eager to watch with young children. That being said, it's naive to think they're not seeing worse on the internet, without any parental voice around. It saddens me to know what kids are exposed to at such an early age.

June 23, 2014 @ 8:26 PM

@J9

I can't wait to watch The Wire with my kids.

It requires great focus so I'm going to wait. I miss them, too.

June 23, 2014 @ 8:47 PM

Handsome Rob

Kids (7 and 12) have already seen my favorite movies from my childhood. Born in the 70s, any 7-9 year old boy was fond of Star Wars. When I got my first big screen TV, that was the first movie shown on it. My youngest loves the Back to the Future series, His favorite bring the second one. Go figure.

Having moved a few years ago we've started and are just about finished the basement. My motivation to finish it sits in a corner in the living room right now, a kick ass sound system and 2D/3D projector. I've been trying to narrow down what the first movie played in the theatre will be. Probably go with the original Star Wars, but am open to suggestions.

June 23, 2014 @ 11:40 PM

Roshan

No kids of my own but I have introduced my 2 nephews and niece to Star Trek, Abbott & Costello, the 80s scifi show V and Lord of the Rings.

June 24, 2014 @ 1:25 AM

Andrew

@ Handsome Rob:

When I finished my home theatre in my old house the first showing was Star Wars - Original Trilogy on laser disc. It's gotta be Star Wars :)

Then follow the first three with an Indy marathon followed by Jaws, Godfather 1/2 and cap it off with Dumb and Dumber once the numbness sets in!!!

cheers,
andrew

June 24, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

Jenny

My boys are in their 30's. When they were about 7 & 5 we watched Star Wars with them. The younger one sailed through it without a problem---the older one got very upset---many tears---when Luke lost his arm. He understood it was just make believe but it still really bothered him. I know other movies were introduced as they got older---Terminator being one of them (Probably one of my husbands favourite movies---I have never seen it), but I will always remember the tears with Star Wars. When I watch it now I get a little choked up at that scene because of his reaction. :)

June 24, 2014 @ 9:58 AM

519 Rob

My son (9) and I have watched Star Wars and the new Batman trilogy many times.
I'm actually excited to see Guardians of the Galaxy this summer. I am taking him, so it'll be the first 'grown-up' (read that as in first non-kiddy movie) movie that we'll see together.

He did well with those movies, so I assume he'll do fine with Guardians.

I love Pulp Fiction, but its still a few years away from happening.

By the way, he's also seen Strange Brew, and LOVES IT!
I've raised a hoser!