It Was The Best of Times...

Yesterday, was a great day. In fact, it was one of those all-time wonderful days that I'll remember forever. I enjoyed my first day with baby Jarvis and got to introduce James and Michelle to their new brother.

It was awesome.

Me and My Brood

At about 6pm, James, Michelle and I decided to make the trip from St. Joe's to Princess Margaret to visit my good friend Mike Kic. In his room on the 17th floor, Michelle told the story of how she named Jarvis, James promised everyone he wouldn't beat me up when he's bigger than me, and I reminisced with Mike Kic about our days playing ball together, this Raptors team he sold me on and shared the story of Jarvis's birth.

Then, when it was time to go, Kic and I exchanged exploding fist-bumps, as we have every week of every summer for well over a decade. It was likely our 300th fist-bump, and our last.

And that's what the kids and I talked about on the ride back to St. Joe's. One day you're saying hello to someone who will be a key part of your life forever, the next you're saying goodbye to a dear friend.

Liz

@Mike

Powerful post. "...and our last". Not what I wanted to hear. Cancer is the real c-word.

April 11, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Taryn

Michelle came home and told me about Mike. Cancer is a bitch and I am so sorry Mike is going through this..I met him years ago and he seemed like a really nice guy. Michelle got a bit teary eyed as she described the art work on the wall from his 1 year old daughter. I feel nothing but sympathy for this young man and his family.

April 11, 2014 @ 10:46 AM

@Taryn

Michelle and James were amazing last night. They wanted to come to support me, because they saw the tears in my eyes. Those kids are unbelievably supportive and sensitive and I'm so glad they came with me.

Here's a picture of Mike Kic, his wife (also an amazing friend of mine for well over a decade) and their new daughter Ryan.

April 11, 2014 @ 10:55 AM

Lyle Lanley

Like Liz said, this is a powerful entry. I think it's your best ever. I'm crying as I type.

I remember your Mike Kic Goes Bananas entry from years ago and the Futureshop ad he was in. I'm so sorry.

April 11, 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Here's Mike Kic Goes Bananas:

April 11, 2014 @ 11:05 AM

Elba

I'm crying at my desk. I agree with Lyle: it's your best entry by far.

April 11, 2014 @ 11:17 AM

Rick2

Very powerful post ... I was hoping for better news about your bud. It serves as a reminder, to not take things for granted, slow down & enjoy today, and treasure the people in your lives. Basic life guidelines that we all know, but are quick to forget.

April 11, 2014 @ 11:19 AM

Douglas

Cancer is indeed horrible. I and my family lost my mother to cancer nearly 25 years ago. My father won his battle five years ago, thanks to early detection and immediate treatment. He has digestive issues now and has not been able to sleep through a night for years, but as he puts it, the alternative was much worse. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to not have lost any of my friends. That streak will inevitably come to an end. When it does, I hope that a tough time will have the support of friends and family, like you have, Mike. Thanks for an excellent, incredibly moving post. Wishing you and your family health and happiness.

April 11, 2014 @ 11:46 AM

Stephanie

Mike, I'm so sorry.. I loved his posts after a ball game and like so many people in this TorontoMike community, I sort of felt I knew him. I hate knowing his address is Princess Margaret.. You're right @Liz... It's the real C word.

April 11, 2014 @ 11:50 AM

Speysidephil

Sorry to hear this Mike, they have come a long way with treatments as I can personally attest to, but obviously still a long way to go.
Cancer is a bitch! And we all share in your personal pain that you are going through right now.

April 11, 2014 @ 12:15 PM

this guest

very moving.
both beautiful
and sad.

April 11, 2014 @ 1:49 PM

Jason C

So sorry to hear this Mike.

April 11, 2014 @ 3:11 PM

dale

I feel very fortunate to have had cancer many years ago & was able to beat it as it was diagnosed in time after surgery & treatment.

@ Mike

My heart go's out to you & many of us who have read Mike Kic's comments over the years & how close you both are.

From being on top of the world in one moment to the bottom of hell in the next as your day must have been very very exiting & difficult. A roller coaster of emotions.

PLEASE AGAIN FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT DONATED YET TO MIKE'S RIDE TO CONQUER CANCER - PLEASE DO SO FOR BOTH MIKES & IF THIS ENTRY BY MIKE DOESN'T HAVE ANY TYPE OF REACTION TO YOU - I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY.

Prayers with Mike Kic & family

April 11, 2014 @ 5:45 PM

Liz

@Dale

Nicely said. You"re a good person.

April 11, 2014 @ 7:03 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I have a lump in my throat as I type this, and the very beautiful and touching photo of Mike and his family makes it so difficult.
Thanks to both you and Mike Kic for sharing this with us.

April 11, 2014 @ 8:36 PM

andrew

The rug shrunk reading this as emotional with TEARS with both circumstances. Mike you must be overwhelmed overall.

Keep strong to all.

April 11, 2014 @ 8:46 PM

dale

@ Argie

You have been commenting on Mike's site for a LONG TIME.
You are one of the few persons that your derogatory comments on Mike's site that hasn't donated to his Ride For Cancer.

Mike is going through a difficult time now with his new son & one of his best freinds - Mike Kic, nothing else to say.

Argie do you have a heart for anything except about yourself??

April 11, 2014 @ 9:35 PM

Roshan

Very powerful post Mike. That's life for you. I am sorry for Mike Kic's family for what they are going through. But what a beautiful pic of him & his family.

And James has grown leaps & bounds.

April 12, 2014 @ 1:42 AM

GUNTer

congrats on your new baby boy.

EFFFF cancer and the horse it rides.

April 12, 2014 @ 11:33 AM