Philip Seymour Hoffman, Dead at 46

In MemoriumPhilip Seymour Hoffman was 46. He was the actor who won the Academy Award for Best Actor for Capote but was always amazing.

Seriously. He was fantastic in Boogie Nights, The Big Lebowski, Happiness, Magnolia, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Almost Famous, Punch-Drunk Love, 25th Hour, Owning Mahowny, Charlie Wilson's War, Synecdoche, New York, Doubt, The Savages, Moneyball, The Ides of March, The Master and more.

Here's my five favourite Philip Seymour Hoffman movies. He was one of my absolute favourite actors.

Speysidephil

Jesus I'm sitting here watching the Master and I read this.
So sad.

February 2, 2014 @ 2:27 PM

Tim

So very sad. This man was an incredible actor. You never know what people are really thinking.

February 2, 2014 @ 2:48 PM

Icarus

I liked PSH as well. Very sad.

Now the Rob Ford role will go to Jesse Plemons.

February 2, 2014 @ 3:43 PM

Army

Not a big movie buff, but always enjoyed anything with Mr. Hoffman in it. Pity.

February 2, 2014 @ 5:40 PM

Lynne

Maybe genius comes with burdens mere mortals can't fully understand.

February 2, 2014 @ 5:53 PM

Argie

@Lynne
I'm laughing at your post - but of course you didn't intend it to be humorous, did you?

Anyway, PSH was a very good actor who usually chose very good movies. Only further proof how dysfunctional the entertainment industry is.

February 2, 2014 @ 6:30 PM

Katnis fan 98

Thr saddest part of his death is that they will have to recast him for hunger games mocking jay. It's so heartbreaking because he was good in the role :(

February 2, 2014 @ 10:26 PM

McNulty

That's the saddest part?

I'd say it's the fatherless children is the saddest part and not some stupid movie.

February 3, 2014 @ 12:25 AM

Argie

@McNulty
Agree 100%.

February 3, 2014 @ 9:06 AM

519 Rob

He made impeccable choices when it came to his roles. He made very few (if any) duds.

I'll pick Boogie Nights as my fav of his (Almost Famous was the better movie - but he had a small-ish part in that).

What a loss.

February 3, 2014 @ 9:22 AM

Broni

@ McNulty
You are spot-on. 3 children left behind; the youngest being only 5 years old...the same age as my youngest daughter.
At first when I heard the news, I felt bad for PSH. Then when I heard he had children, I got over it. I'll probably never watch another one of his movies because his selfish act leaves those kids without a father.

February 3, 2014 @ 11:31 AM

Rob

I spent a lot of time reading and studying drug addiction. It one of if not the most difficult transgressions to overcome, once you're an addict it is a life time struggle to fight the urge. Most people must hit rock bottom to overcome it and even than that occurs after multiple failures of attempting to overcome the destructive addiction.

February 3, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

Douglas

I don't pay much attention to pop stardom. Here goes another overindulged, talented person killing themselves doing something utterly stupid (it's certainly not an act of ignorance). OK, he won an Oscar and other awards, but I had to go look at IMDB to see what he's been in that I have seen. It was a stretch at three movies. Sure, it's bad for whoever is left behind, but he should have thought of them and not himself. Most illegal drugs are highly addictive. Just a bit of intelligence should tell one not to get into them. I fail to have sympathy for a dead star like Hoffman. Most of the time, I'm out rat asses to give.

February 3, 2014 @ 1:45 PM

Anonymous

Doug
I don't agree. The fact you don't know anything about his movies reveals either you are lopsided Keswick misanthrope or maybe you were whelped at your mother's fist. Either way the mullet should not be so far over-stroked to cover your crossed eyes.
Ah damn - now I sound like some douchebag Toronto hipster.. . . . kidding
Doug you nailed. When you have a needle and heroin - you leave the room and you get the fuck home.
And you shake your head. It's that or you die.
Cheers,
Doug' Dad

February 3, 2014 @ 8:26 PM

Pete

This is a tough one for me as I have little sympathy for dead drug addicts, however, I am aware that addiction is not like choosing to get a tattoo.

I think what astounds me more is how much sympathy some people have for a dead PSH than they do for Mayor Ford. Oh poor PSH, "so sad", but with Mayor Ford, it's "he's a druggie", "what a fat, drug using piece of ***", "waste of time...", etc. In my eyes, they are(were) both overweight, drug addicted people doing what they love to do (acting and politicking - not using drugs).

And before the boors get on me about comparing PSH to Mayor Ford, I'm not, I'm comparing 2 humans with similar traits that got them exactly opposite comments.

--Pete

February 7, 2014 @ 12:27 PM

Etown

Good riddance. How long until people understand that HEROIN KILLS? Good lord, stop putting this loser on a pedestal. If he appreciated life as much as you sheep appreciated his, he'd never subject himself to this.

For the record, I enjoyed Patch Adams, but not for his role...it's probably the only one he was in that I watched.

February 9, 2014 @ 7:41 PM