Canada Wins Gold in Men's Hockey

Canada Wins Gold in Men's HockeyCanada has won gold in men's hockey at the Sochi Olympics.

Today's 3-0 win over Sweden in the gold medal game caps an incredible tournament for Canada in which we went 6-0 and allowed a miniscule 3 goals. That's right, Canada's stifling defense and solid goaltending allowed only 3 goals the entire Olympic games.

Incredible... what a team... what a game!

canada2

crosby

Mike from Lowville

OH CANADA!

February 23, 2014 @ 9:45 AM

Sammi

Dominating performance. Well done boys!

February 23, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

Rick C in Oakville

Awesome game, they played flawlessly!
A bit mean but couldn't resist to post this.

February 23, 2014 @ 10:51 AM

twins from bolton

Mike - my donation will be done today. $ for every goal & bonus of $25 for gold medal.

What a game as defense & goaltending made it happen.

A TEAM game & a TEAM win for Canada. Proud of all of them.

February 23, 2014 @ 12:26 PM

@twins from bolton

You're a sweetheart!

February 23, 2014 @ 3:26 PM

Cheryl

I told you Carey Price is the best. Now if only PK Subban could have played instead of just sit, things would have been wonderful, but great win for my Carey.

February 23, 2014 @ 8:00 PM

markosaar

Why wouldn't they have played PK?

February 23, 2014 @ 8:59 PM

@markosaar

Less risky defensive choices ahead of him. Quite simply, he couldn't crack this lineup.

In his defense, it was the best defensive performance you'll ever see.

February 23, 2014 @ 9:04 PM

Philly-Bob

I had my nephews over for a sleepover last night (so for those keeping track, it was me with a 7,6 & 3 year old). The boys were up at 6am playing mini stick hockey...mercifully they allowed me the extra 45 min of sleep I had planned. I made breakfast during the first intermission.

Didn't have a drop to drink, and I couldn't have had more fun!

February 23, 2014 @ 10:29 PM

Anonymous

Also I took Lorne's advice and made tomato sauce from scratch. It's quite tasty, but a little runny. I let it simmer all day to reduce, but it only helped a little.

Any Suggestions on how to thicken it up?

February 23, 2014 @ 10:30 PM

Philly-Bob

That last one was me...dammnit

February 23, 2014 @ 10:37 PM

Sammi

@ Anonymous

I add some tomato paste.

February 24, 2014 @ 7:08 AM

Caygeon

We were spoiled watching how a hockey team should play the game as a whole unit. They each sacrificed for the sake of the team and the defensive part was incredible. Now we have to go back to watching the Leaf's and their suspect defence.

February 24, 2014 @ 7:32 AM

Philly-bob

@ Sammi - I was thinking of that last night, thanks!

February 24, 2014 @ 8:13 AM

mrmojorisinca

as most of Canada I was a little worried about us scorning (or lack there of) but after watching the semi and the final you could see this was the coaching staff and brass were using the first 3 or 4 games to get their game planned perfected and getting the players to buy in..all in all a full team performance from Executives, coaches and players!!

February 24, 2014 @ 9:08 AM

Speysidephil

Yep it was a great win for Team Canada, brilliantly coached and executed performance.
Now for reality, could you imagine watching that defensive system through a whole NHL schedule. It would be a complete bore for 82 games. So while it was great for a short 2 week tournament in Sochi, that's exactly where that system should be left and never to be seen again.

February 24, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

mrmojorisinca

I do believe your correct..even though the USA- Canada game was the best game I've probably ever witnessed.

if teh NHL wants to open up then don't change the ice size, but drop to 4 on 4 :)

February 24, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

Argie

Along with the higher skill level of Olympic hockey, I also enjoyed the lack of pushing and shoving after the whistle. The games went so much quicker and also had much fewer penalties. It also helped having fewer lengthy commercial breaks we see with NHL games.

February 24, 2014 @ 10:11 AM

Speysidephil

@mrm
The NHL is fine just the way it is, my point is the Defensive system the Canadians used in Sochi is not my cup of tea, and hopefully we won't see it here anytime soon.

February 24, 2014 @ 10:57 AM

Philly-bob

@ Argie - You hit the nail on the head. The type of hockey we saw during these games are what you get when you get rid of the goons...the guys paid just to drop their gloves. I for one would rather see more of this type of hockey...let's get the Colton Orr's of the world out of the NHL!

February 24, 2014 @ 11:38 AM

Argie

..and why should I care?

February 24, 2014 @ 1:25 PM

Lou

Women's hockey was more exciting than this snoozefest. Get rid of the pros, they are afraid to hurt themselves & their teammates.

USA vs CAN women's was intense & pure animosity because it means more to them than multi-milion $$$ athletes.

February 24, 2014 @ 2:31 PM

Cheryl

Well, why was PK Subban there if he didn't play? Why have him there at all. Not fair he didn't play.

February 24, 2014 @ 4:31 PM

@Cheryl

He was there because we had the roster spot.

He did get in one game, and had someone got hurt (or played poorly), he'd have played more.

He'll play more in four years.

February 24, 2014 @ 4:38 PM

Philly-Bob

@ Cheryl - Not to take anything away from Price, he's a great Goalie. But he only faces 24 shots in the gold medal game, 11 of which were in the 1st. That means he faced an average of 6.5 shots in the 2nd and 3rd respectively. Any Canadian Goalie of AHL level of higher could have won that game, the team played amazing defensive hockey in front of him....so let's not be hanging the victory on him entirely...a shut out is a team stat.

February 25, 2014 @ 8:17 AM