A Short Guide to the Middle East

A Short Guide to the Middle EastFrom a letter to the editor at the Financial Times. Welcome to the Middle East and have a nice day!

middleeast

Blind Dave

Well, that about sums it up.

There has never been peace in the middle east and there never will be. Ever. Come back in 3,000 years and if the world still exists, they'll still hate each other.

August 25, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I've given up trying to understand mid east politics. Lost track of who are the good guys and the tyrants.

August 25, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

Argie

The M/E is made up of many ethnicities, languages and cultures yet the one common trait is their religion (with the exception of Israel). That one common trait is your answer to why is the M/E so effed up.

August 25, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

markosaar

Sunni and Shia denominations may as well be different religions.

August 25, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

Art

@Argie

Check up your facts, the M/E is also made up of many religions, they must be like 20 different sorts of christians, and also some lesser-known religions such as the Druze, the Zoroastrians, the Baha'is, the Yazidis and well, probably a few others. They used to be a reasonable amount of jews spread across the region, most (but certainly not all) having finally emigrated to Israel between 1948 and 1970. And if you want my opinion, the M/E was already effed up before 48 but certainly, Israel didn't help.

To sum it up, you're one racist idiot, and you don't even dare say it out loud, you prefer to viciously imply it. I've been in the region a lot, I've met a lot of people there and I can tell you that there is a lot of different kinds of muslim, and I'm not just talking about different branches like Chiites and Sunnites and Alawites etc.... Some are very open and tolerant, some don't give a eff about religion, some are dangerous fanatics (I haven't met any, but they do seem to exist in small, yet saddly noticeable numbers), some are very intelligent and highly reasonnable people, some are fanatics but woudn't hurt a fly...

You're just no better that these madmen who blow themselves up, you make me sick.

August 26, 2013 @ 3:12 AM

Suichic

@ Art, you basically just repeated what Argie has said, yet you attacked him, insulted him and called him, quote "racist idiot"! I guess it takes one to know one, hey!

August 26, 2013 @ 7:42 AM

Speysidephil

@Art

You my friend are a MORON.

August 26, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

Anonymous

Howcum all religions and religionists vociferously proclaim one god and more slaughter, grief and suffering are perpetrated in the name of the ONE god. I think we ought to debunk all religionists and forget about obserrving and start practicing more simplistic "rules" Like start with the Silver Rule: What is hateful to thyself do not do unto others. Very similar to the Golden Rule but much more practical (and practicable).

My $.02

Me

August 26, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Icarus

Clap clap Argie.

Despite the joke regarding the complexity of the middle east staring you in the face you expose your epic levels of ignorance by summing up the situation as 'Islam = bad'.

You seem incapable of learning anything

August 26, 2013 @ 6:31 PM

Argir

Ic & Art,

Instead of coming up with an argument against what I wrote, you attack me personally.

Typical.

August 26, 2013 @ 6:48 PM

Argie

Sorry, my name is Argie.

August 26, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

Mike from Lowville

I beg to differ...........it's ARGUE!

August 27, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

Cambo

I'm failing to see the problem with Argie's comment.

The M/E, unfortunately is a mess. Always has been and always will be. It is a very, very complex and mixed area. If you look back in time, MOST of the conflicts in human history have had a link to religion or faith. It's not just Islam, Christians have also had their fights.

Unfortunately what also seems to be common among the religions, is an intolerance toward other religions. That's not so much the case in North America as we are more moderate, but certainly the case in the M/E, the far East, Africa and Baltic areas.

August 27, 2013 @ 7:31 AM

Argie

markossar touched on the issue slightly. Its not so much islam against the other religions - its islam against its own. Almost all victims of Islamic extremist violence are other muslims.

Yet people like Art and Icarus will only blame (and probably shoot) the messenger. Of course they'll also blame the US, Brits and their favorite target, those "terrible Jews."

Essentially, its not just the extremists that are the problem, its their enablers/apologists (I'm looking at you fools, Art & Icarus).

August 27, 2013 @ 8:15 AM

Icarus

Once again, your ignorance preceeds you. You are entitled to your opinions no matter how racist and ignorant they are, but I assert the right to consider your racism (and homophobia in other comments) to be abhorent and to call you on it.

As for accusing me of antisemitism, I thought you were against 'shooting the messenger?

Please, look up irony in the dictionary.

August 27, 2013 @ 12:08 PM

Argie

@ Icarus
What "race" is islam???? When you figure that out, please let us know. You're an angry, stupid terrorist, aren't you?

August 27, 2013 @ 1:33 PM