I Love This Heat

I Love This HeatAccording to Twitter, it's hot in Toronto. I'm told it feels like 44°C out there. Lots of people are complaining, but you won't hear me bitching about the heat.

To borrow a phrase my buddy Mark just used on his blog, the hotter the better. I've never deemed Toronto weather to be too hot. Evidence of this is the fact I didn't hesitate to bike during yesterday and today's lunch hour. In fact, yesterday I recorded a personal best for that particular route.

Most everyone disagrees with this, but I think there is just something about that thick heat that presents a challenge -- either you fight it, or you embrace it and take it in. I think the latter is the only way to deal with it. If you embrace the heat and just to decide to let it soak in (and soak you), it becomes extremely energizing.

I agree 100%. I embraced the heat long ago and love it.

The hotter, the better.

markosaar

I make it a policy to not complain about the weather.

I just hate not having any option. A/C has been broken at my office all year. It was already 31° by 9:00 AM this morning, not counting humidex, so we got sent home. Supposedly fixed now however.

July 17, 2013 @ 5:02 PM

Lyle Lanley

C'mon Mike, it's not the heat, it's the humidity!

July 17, 2013 @ 5:34 PM

Tim

If you do any physical labour in this you will HATE the heat

July 17, 2013 @ 5:42 PM

@Tim

That's entirely possible. Roofers and those working outdoors have it rough when it gets this hot.

Water is our best friend on these days.

July 17, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

Mike from Lowville

Love the heat! Cut the grass (areas where the tractor can't get) with the push mower at 1:00 pm today. Sweat like a pig, nearly passed out. Went in pool, cooled down, cut grass again, in pool again......love the heat.....with a pool near by! If there was no pool I would be inside in the air. I love the heat but, this is a little much to do physical labour. The factory should be fun tonight!

July 17, 2013 @ 5:50 PM

Dave

You're fucked, dude.

July 17, 2013 @ 5:58 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Hate this type of heat. The week before was perfect for getting stuff done. My neighbourhood is a ghost town in this heat, every one hibernates indoors. No kids out, only the whirl of AC units is all I hear Bah Humbug!

July 17, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

Cheryl

Well, at least we don't have to worry about snow and slippery sidewalks, but you really can't do much when it's this hot. It's too hot to play tennis or baseball, that's for sure.

July 17, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

markosaar

I still commute by biking, but I wouldn't inflict that on my coworkers if I didn't have a private office.

July 17, 2013 @ 7:10 PM

Jason from Sudbury

I hate this heat and don't know how those without a/c in their place do it especially at night when trying to sleep.

July 17, 2013 @ 7:21 PM

Alan G

I love the heat!! The only drawback is the melted tar when I'm rollerblading. Gotta really watch out for that. As long as I've got my hat and lots of water, I'm happy.

July 17, 2013 @ 7:40 PM

dale

@Mike
You may like this heat in your 30's or early 40's like I did.

As you get older you will HATE this heat & humidity as age takes over your preferences.

I'd rather have just above 0C with little snow than this $hit.

July 17, 2013 @ 7:42 PM

Mark Carey

I don't find doing labour in the heat. Years ago I had a summer job tree planting in Northern Ontario. Admittedly, the humidity is lower up there, but the hottest day was 45C, which was also my best day with 4,000 trees planted.

July 17, 2013 @ 7:47 PM

Paul

Oh Dale...suck it up. I'm 60 + and this week I'm feeling like I'm in Mexico every day, with better transportation and water availability. If I get the dizzies, I just stop a minute for a beer. I like to have a reason to feel that way.

July 17, 2013 @ 8:02 PM

markosaar

@Alan G, thanks for reminding me! I used to be hugely into rollerblading, and for some reason just haven't bothered bringing them out this year.

I have to say, buying a new pair as an adult, and upgrading to 90-100mm wheels from the 80mm ones as a kid makes such a vast difference. So much smoother and more momentum. I skated to my brother's 16 KM away a couple years ago without any problem.

July 17, 2013 @ 8:12 PM

elvis

You're an asshole. Just ask Denis Leary.

July 17, 2013 @ 8:37 PM

@markosaar I'm not a big fan of the freezing cold... but too hot has never bothered me. If it's ridiculously cold out, like minus 30 or something, I can utter an "it's too cold" under my breath. I've never uttered an "it's too hot" outside.

July 17, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

J9

Yuck.

I am hoping the meteorologists are calling the right shots and Sunday really is mid-20's.

July 17, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Blind Dave

I made passing comment on this in the Open Mike. I am really enjoying this summer. I never used to be a fan of the heat, often suffered in summer (both in T.O and now here in SK) and never really appreciated it. This year is different. I'm loving the outdoor exercising and working up a good sweat. I think that is the key. I have found an activity I enjoy, and therefore I am participating with the hot weather rather than just dealing with it.

It really is all in the mind.

July 17, 2013 @ 9:29 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike

Hey Mike , you must be really feeling the heat now that the subway to Scarborough has been passed overwhelmingly by City Council.
Apparently Ford has more supporters on council than you ever imagined.

July 17, 2013 @ 10:16 PM

markosaar

@Speysidephil, I don't imagine it's about Ford's supporters, more about vapid politics. Do you honestly believe this "plan" is a better idea than the LRT that was funded and about to be built?

It appears doomed from the start. It's contingent on federal funding which they never indicated they would provide, and provincial funding, which with your hatred of the Ontario Liberals, you should expect to never materialise.

So all that's been accomplished is that any proper transit for Scarborough has been further delayed by 5-10+ years.

Are you genuinely happy about that?

July 18, 2013 @ 1:03 AM

james

I'll never complain about the heat as I DO complain about the cold!Having said that I drove to work in the car today as I was way overheated on my Motorcycle yesterday.And I'm going downtown this afternoon. Yes I'm wimping out and enjoying the AC.

July 18, 2013 @ 8:21 AM

Douglas

The line about it not being the heat, it's the humidity is absolutely true. My personal temperature record is 113°F/45°C. The former was experienced in Las Vegas; the latter in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia. Both were dry heat. I distinctly remember hearing the temperature on the radio and seeing the same number displayed on the dash display of my Holden Commodore and thinking "Really? It doesn't seem that hot." - as the A/C started to blast cold air. Yet not long after that, I was in Cairns, Queensland. It was 32°C and 99% humidity. It was not raining, nor was it going to, but you could see the moisture in the air. It was the most stifling air I have ever been in. I have no idea what the humidex was, but I do know that the conditions felt far hotter than the 45° in Ballarat.

Having grown up in Winnipeg and Edmonton, I will categorically state that it does not get cold in the Toronto area. Wussie Torontonians will disagree.

I remember, and love, some lines from George Carlin, as Al Sleet the hippy, dippy weatherman on the 11 o'clock news, as he finishes the weather report:
"Remember...if you don't like the weather, MOVE!!!"

July 18, 2013 @ 8:59 AM

Argie

I'm usually in an a/c environment so I'm coping OK but I hate the fact this oppressive heat restricts some of my outdoor activities. No jogging, no biking, no basketball, etc. Too effing hot!

July 18, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

Alan G

@markosaar, I'll try larger wheels. Might help. Could use the extra momentum.

Before I got married I lived in an apartment for 20 + years with no a/c and other than one or two nights a year never had a problem with the heat. Now that my wife insists our apartment be cooled like a refrigerator I do find going out into the heat a little more difficult to adjust to. But I do love it and its so nice to get out of the fridge!!

July 18, 2013 @ 11:02 AM

markosaar

Argie bikes.

Another pinko on torontomike.com spotted.

July 18, 2013 @ 12:43 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Markosaar: I'm sure Argie means he hops on his Harley that uses more gas per km than a jumbo jet; when he uses the team biking. The right wing mode of transportation. Not to be confused with the tree-hugger, pinko mode of transportation known as a bicycle.

July 18, 2013 @ 2:18 PM

Argie

@ Ben
@ mark
When I said "biking" I meant riding for exercise - not for going to work or to meet my commie friends for a latté at Starbucks or to the library.

July 18, 2013 @ 2:39 PM

Ben Vidal

@Argie: That was a joke.

July 18, 2013 @ 4:16 PM

Anonymous

@ Ben
I know. I was trying to be funny.

July 18, 2013 @ 6:59 PM

Cambo

Let's see how much you love the heat, Mike.

Turn your A/C and fans off at night when you sleep.

Or are you a daytime-only heat lover?

I love a good summer's day too, but this is beyond ridiculous.

July 19, 2013 @ 7:44 AM

Mike in Guelph

I already miss the heat!

July 20, 2013 @ 11:27 AM

@Mike in Guelph

I just went on the balcony and felt this 23 degrees everyone loves so much and said "I miss the heat!"

July 20, 2013 @ 12:27 PM

markosaar

Saw this on Facebook and it seemed appropriate:

July 20, 2013 @ 1:41 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Glad the temperature has got to a reasonable number, so I can open the windows and not test the Liberals green energy policy (okay, that's a joke folks)or improving the chances the CEO of Ontario Hydro would get a better bonus from my Hydro useage.

July 21, 2013 @ 1:35 PM