Longest Jays Game Ever

Longest Jays Game EverI went to the Jays game this afternoon with my brothers and my son. First pitch was at 1:07pm and with Buehrle taking on Darvish, we figured we could grab dinner at about 4pm.

2013-06-08 13.55.02

Five and a half hours later, the longest game in Blue Jays history ended with a walk-off Rajai Davis single in the 18th inning. That's right, we enjoyed 18 innings of Blue Jays baseball.

2013-06-08 18.36.23

Has anyone out there been to a longer game?

Torontosy

Dont lie. Today's game is tied with the game from July 29, 2005 - 2-1 win over Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in 18 innings at home.

No game has gone 19 innings. If it went 19 innings then it would be the longest in terms of innings.

Longest Game by Time: April 19, 2001 - 6-5 loss to New York Yankees in 17 innings at home. e

See wikipedia blue jays records.

June 8, 2013 @ 9:30 PM

4x4 Time

Kudo's for sticking it out to the end dude...

June 8, 2013 @ 9:54 PM

@Torontosy

At 18 innings, it's the longest Jays game, ever. That's a fact, as no Jays game has ever gone longer.

Please don't call me a liar.

June 8, 2013 @ 9:58 PM

@4x4 Time

I wasn't going anywhere...

If the game went 30 innings, I'd have gone 30 innings.

June 8, 2013 @ 10:11 PM

No Dope

Not only the longest Jays game in franchise history but also the longest Rangers game.

June 8, 2013 @ 10:12 PM

Teena in Toronto

We watched the last five innings on TV ... awesome!

June 8, 2013 @ 10:58 PM

Chris

Mets and Marlins went 20 innings today.

June 8, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

felix

Lucky! That's two games for the price of one! I only watched the last 9 innings and I was convinced the Jays were going to find a way to lose. They had so many chances, but like most of their games this year, couldn't quite get the big hit. It's always fun to be there when your team wins in a walk-off.

June 8, 2013 @ 11:52 PM

Torontosy

This is not the longest game; it is tied for being the longest game. The other Blue Jay game from 2005 also went to 18 innings. Now dont give me a Rob Ford answer, that you are not addicted to crack and dont smoke crack. Rather be truthful - this was not THE longest game, rather it was one of the longest games.

June 9, 2013 @ 2:46 AM

Al Coholic

@ Torontosy Seems according to Toronto Mike it will not be the truth until it is written on the front page of the Toronto Star.

June 9, 2013 @ 4:02 AM

Sam from England

I like to get to a cricket match once a year...starts at 11am and finishes at 6pm. This goes on for 5 days although i only usually go for a day at a time.

June 9, 2013 @ 7:29 AM

Ottawa Mike

@Mike, I'm surprised Rogers didn't make you pay for an extra ticket at premium game prices that were suddenly, without explanation, jacked up a couple of extra bucks.

June 9, 2013 @ 7:47 AM

Cheryl

I know I would have hated being there. I would have either got really restless and bored or just fell asleep.

June 9, 2013 @ 8:04 AM

Ryan G

I was at both the 2005 game and yesterday's game. Yesterday I ditched in the 13th inning though. Beer was sorely needed.

June 9, 2013 @ 8:26 AM

Douglas

Did anyone catch the game as "Jays in 30"? The first nine innings were covered in the first of the three segments. Talk about editing/having to pick highlights from a lot of material. I nodded off on the couch for a bit not long after Bautista's excellent bullet to home, but woke up to catch several more innings. Nice base running by Encarnacion, too, to contribute to the Jays finally shutting down the game.

June 9, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

@Torontosy

I think you're having difficulty parsing the statement.

To say it's the longest game in history does not preclude the fact that there could have been another game equally as long, it merely states that no game has ever gone longer.

June 9, 2013 @ 10:45 AM

Q

Today's 18 inning Blue Jays game was the longest in franchise history. #BlueJays beat Rangers 4-3

— Q107 Toronto (@Q107Toronto) June 8, 2013
June 9, 2013 @ 11:09 AM

Andrew

It doesn't matter if it was the longest or wasn't...all I know is that I only got paid to mix one game, when in fact, I mixed 2 games!!

I sat in the chair at 12:10 and finally got up at 18:15.

It blew!!!!

Glad you had a great time Mike - told you they would be great seats!!

Cheers,
Andrew

June 9, 2013 @ 11:51 AM

@ Andrew

I owe you, bro. Thanks!

June 9, 2013 @ 11:53 AM

Al Coholic

Again when Toronto Mike has 6+ hours to think about a statement that he is CLEARLY wrong about, he turns it around that the reader made the mistake.. Will be back at 8PM + to read a rude reply.

June 9, 2013 @ 1:49 PM

@Al Coholic

If Phil Kessel gets 10 points in the opening game of next season, is that not the most single-game points in NHL history?

I'm not sure why you and Torontosy are being such assholes about this. I'm not denying the existence of the July 29, 2005 game...

June 9, 2013 @ 1:52 PM

@Al Coholic

And why do you sometimes comment as Dawn Keibals and other times as Al Coholic?

I'd prefer you stuck with one asshole persona.

June 9, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

Cheryl

Well, no way you would get me to go to a game let alone a long game. I would need to get paid just for sitting there and being bored. boy, I dread the end of this month when hockey is finished and there is just boring baseball. I never watched cricket, but if it goes for days and days, I'm sure I would hate it.

June 9, 2013 @ 6:28 PM

pigeon toed dave

Has there ever been an 18 inning first game and then two teams going back at it for the second double header game, making it 3 full games in a row. Just wondering.

June 10, 2013 @ 7:10 AM

Cambo

@Cheryl

Really? You hate baseball yet comment on a post that is clearly baseball related to say that you don't like baseball.

I don't like Pinterest. So I don't go on Pinterest.

June 10, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

Argie

mike,

Eighteen freaking innings??? I can barely sit through 9. And its even less if I take my girl, Cheryl.

June 10, 2013 @ 8:22 AM

519 Rob

I'm more impressed with the dude in the MONDESI jersey you can see in the second pick.

18 innings (yes, the longest Jay game ever) is crazy. But like someone else noted, there was a 20 inning game that day too. I'd like to think I'd stick out an 18 inning game, but I think it depends on my company. I don't think my kids could do it, but if I was with some buddies, I'm sure 18 would be no problem.

By the way Mike, how many people do you guess-timate were left at the end?

June 10, 2013 @ 9:03 AM

@519

That Mondesi jersey was awesome.

My son (he's 11) was prepared to go 30 innings, as was I.

You can sort of see the crowd thinning from the two pictures here... basically every inning there would be a mass exodus. I think we were 44,000 at some point and maybe 18,000 or so by the end... hard to say.

June 10, 2013 @ 9:33 AM

4x4 Time

My brother reminded me we saw a double header at the Skydome the first year it opened. I think it was the Angels, not sure though. They had a rain out earlier in the season when they opened the 89 season at Exhibition Stadium. I wonder if they have had a double header since then at Skydome?

June 10, 2013 @ 9:45 AM

Alex

I was at this game and there was no way I was going to leave by the time we hit the 14th inning; I had to see how long it would go. Glad that the Jays rewarded us with a win!

June 10, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Andrew

@ 519 & @TorontoMike

There were 44,700 and change to start and the truck figured there were about 15-18 K left when it actually ended.

Once they stop selling beer at the end of the 7th and lot of the yobs leave.

All I know is, is that my ass was numb by the end of it sitting in the audio room. I'm just glad they won...it would have sucked royally if they had lost that.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 10, 2013 @ 11:32 AM

519 Rob

@TorontoMike & @Andrew

15-18000 people at the end of an 18 inning game is pretty impressive.

My youngest son (8) is becoming a big baseball/Jays fan. I just don't think he'd make 18 innings.
I guess part of the decision would be that I still have 1 1/2hours or so to get home (519...ya know).

June 10, 2013 @ 12:10 PM

Tron

Mike is actually correct. Saturday game was technically longer than 2005 game. The July 28th (not 29th) 2005 vs the Angels was won by the home team Jays at the Bottom of the 18th with 1 out. While Saturday game vs. the Rangers was won by the home team Jays at the Bottom of the 18th with 2 outs. So if we are splitting hairs and speaking technicality, Saturday game went a third of an inning longer.

source ESPN Box Score vs Angels in 05 and Saturday game

@OttawaMike- You took the extra fees joke right out of my mouth, good on you sir.

June 10, 2013 @ 3:24 PM