James Gandolfini, Dead at 51

In MemoriumJames Gandolfini was 51. He was the actor who most famously portrayed Tony Soprano on the series "The Sopranos."

When I listed my ten favourite television characters of all-time, Tony Soprano was there. It was a great character on a great show.

tony

Digger08

So sad...almost the same age as me....sometimes these celebrity deaths really put my own mortality into perspective!

....On a side note, this seems to be my daily go to spot for death news...probably not how Mike wants to be remembered in his blogging.

June 19, 2013 @ 9:11 PM

@Digger08

James Gandolfini was overweight. As I recall from the Raging Storm battles with the Etobicoke Sharks, you're in much better shape.

As for these death entries, I'm trying to raise the bar as to who gets an entry. You'll notice Slim Whitman didn't make the cut.

June 19, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Nick

@Digger My dad was in great shape and he had a heart attack. Overweight is just one indicator, lifestyle and especially genetics also factor in.

By far the best show ever on HBO but still hate the way it ended. I guess we'll never know if Tony Soprano died in the diner, there will never be a movie and never be closure on a fantastic series.

June 19, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

I know this isn't the place for this argument, but The Sopranos isn't the best show ever on HBO.

The Wire is the best show ever on HBO or anywhere else.

But The Sopranos was brilliant.

June 19, 2013 @ 10:04 PM

Cliché Man

Loved his work. He will be missed.

June 19, 2013 @ 10:23 PM

Argie

Heart attack, eh? It's at times like these you have to wonder 'how the fuck is John Goodman sill alive?'

June 19, 2013 @ 10:48 PM

@Argie

John Goodman lost a ton of weight recently.

June 19, 2013 @ 10:49 PM

Blind Dave

Uh huh, turning 50 at Xmas. Mortality indeed.

June 19, 2013 @ 10:54 PM

Wayner

I can't believe he was only 51...he looked older. I would have thought he was in his 60s.

Heart attacks kill at all ages despite one's physical make-up. Being overweight is a sign...however there are many more signs that are not as obvious and never seen until too late...

June 20, 2013 @ 9:56 AM

Corey

He had a very good (though small) performance as a creepy bad guy in "True Romance" that I always remember him for.

June 20, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

Matt

R.I.P Loved The Sopranos.

Always enjoyed his work in The Last Castle as well.

The sad part is he had a kid only a couple of years ago.

June 20, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

4x4 Time

Sad news..I have never seen The Soprano's but I saw him on Broadway a few years back in God of Carnage and he was outstanding.

June 20, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@4x4 Time: If you get the box set and sit down and watch it you will be hooked. The Sopranos, MASH and Seinfeld have been the only programs I ever purposely set time aside to watch in the Prehistoric days of cable and no downloading. I thought he had lost some weight recently? If Argie wonders about John Goodman, where is Rob Ford in the dead pool list?

June 20, 2013 @ 10:28 PM

Wayner

I tried watching the Sopranos countless times... I just could not get into it.

I found him more enjoyable in the movie (albeit small) roles that he was cast in. Many pleasant surprises.

June 21, 2013 @ 8:29 AM