Installing Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) on My HP TouchPad

Installing Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) on My HP TouchPadIn July of 2011, the nice people at HP gave me a TouchPad Tablet PC. Here's something I wrote about it then. It was is a nice piece of hardware with great sound running webOS, but by August of 2011, HP had discontinued the TouchPad. Early sales results indicated it wasn't the iPad killer they hoped it would be.

That meant the only tablet I own runs an OS without many apps. If you think BB10 is missing some key apps (and it is), you should peruse the app selection for the TouchPad. As a fan of the Android OS, I wanted to run Android on my HP TouchPad so I could enjoy the same system and apps I enjoy on my Samsung Galaxy phone.

The answer was CyanogenMod 10, which has brilliantly enabled me to run Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) on my TouchPad. Fantastic installation instructions are here should you own a TouchPad and want to give this a shot. It's pretty easy as my girlfriend and I had it up and running in one afternoon.

TouchPad running Android

I'm very pleased with my new Android tablet. Jelly Bean is great.

Blind Dave

I`m running Jelly Bean on my rooted HTC Incredible S smartphone.

It`s a great ROM!

February 19, 2013 @ 11:39 AM

The_Voice

Using the Nexus 4, I don't have to wait for any updates to be approved by a carrier, and I don't have to root it to do so.

Using 4.2.2 currently.

February 19, 2013 @ 2:48 PM

Jacob

I've been running CM10 on mine for a while now. It opened up a whole world of fun.

February 19, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

felix

Nice wifi name. Did you know the last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the Cup?

February 19, 2013 @ 10:26 PM

@felix

If you ever come across a wifi network named billbarilko, I likely set it up. All networks I set up get that name.

February 19, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

Louis

Did you have the chance to try Netflix on HP with CM10 ?

I also have an HP, with CM9, and Netflix does not work..

February 20, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

@Louis

I actually started with CM9 and found the entire Google Play Store component to be buggy, so I tried CM10 with great success.

So far, everything is working great, including all apps I've tried and the camera (which sucks, but at least works). I haven't tried Netflix, but would recommend giving CM10 a go.

And you'll love Jelly Bean.

February 20, 2013 @ 9:37 AM

PC

Very few tablet available today that runs on Jelly Bean OS.

March 12, 2013 @ 1:41 AM