World's Biggest Bookstore to Close

World's Biggest BookstoreIndigo Books and Music won't renew their lease for the World's Biggest Bookstore on Edward Street near Yonge and Dundas. When the lease expires at the end of 2013, it will likely become a suburban type big-box store, like a Home Depot or Best Buy or Wal-Mart. The World's Biggest Bookstore will be no more.

I haven't been in many years, but in my youth a trip to Sam the Record Man would often be followed by a trip to the World's Biggest Bookstore. It's always been there, and it's sad to see it go, but things change and books, like music, have gone digital. As Bobby would say, the times they are a changin'.

worlds-biggest-bookstore

The best part about the World's Biggest Bookstore might just be that name. What kid doesn't want to visit the world's biggest bookstore? It turns out, that name is a lie. The current Guinness record-holder in the category of largest bookshop is a Barnes and Noble on Fifth Avenue in New York City.

I don't know what to believe any more...

Roshan

Book stores closing everywhere. The only ones over here that are doing well are near college campuses. The others are in decline. But I have to say that the rates for novels in India are crazy. They haven't gone down in 10 years. That's why I prefer the used book stores & roadside stalls.

June 21, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

CQ

Easily the very best book store in Toronto. Straight forward aisles*, easy to locate sections, and no lounging coffee sloshers. Its own downfall was Chapters' in-house website - listing products at a routine 20% lower price than in-store. The current staff play a bit too much music from within their DVD area. (Hint: it is a book store.)
Side-stepping the hobos constantly out in front is just an added bonus!

* And a down escalator! Compare this to the Indigo setup inside the Eaton Centre or at Bay St. south of Bloor.

June 21, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Jamie

Who nedz boks anywayz.. boks r 4 dummiez.

June 21, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

PK

Very sad indeed Mike. I always loved going in and just taking a look at all they had. Crazy days we live in. Now condos are going up? Seriously, the condo boom is sucking the life out of this city.

PK

June 21, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

cpierson

Its Wiki page says that it still claims to be the world's biggest because it has the most titles, as opposed to square footage. I'd buy that over "well, this B&N is bigger if you count the giant in-store coffee shop."

It and Sam's were the main places I'd go when I went into Toronto as a teenager. Seeing my first novel on its shelves was a huge rush. I can't really picture anything that would move in there that I'd give a damn about.

Someone at least tell me that the Silver Snail and Bakka are still around on Queen.

June 21, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

@cpierson

The Silver Snail lives! Albeit in a new location at 329 Yonge Street. So don't go looking for it on Queen West.

What's the name of your book? or books?

June 21, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

Blind Dave

That's a shame. It was always on my "go to" list whenever I would venture into the xanadu of downtown TO. Other places, of course, would be the normal record stores, the used record stores, and book shops from Bloor down to Queen.

June 21, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Rosie

Oh I was so blue when I saw this, I used to wander around there all the time in between classes. It actually had books, not like the other Chapters and Indigo stores which only seem to have scented candles and picture frames. And the book store I loved, the Book Mark in Etobicoke, is gone too. I'm going to have to resort to ebooks, aren't I? :(

June 21, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

j

believe your city is dying

June 25, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

Lex van Rootselaar

This year I first visited Toronto (coming from the Netherlands) and I am sorry to read that this bookstore closed in 2013. Now I visited Indigo's in Eaton Centre and regret I never saw the (then) World's biggest bookstore.

August 23, 2016 @ 6:27 PM

markosaar

I visited a used bookstore in Lisbon earlier this year ... and was very surprised to find this book about wooden boats there.

August 23, 2016 @ 8:25 PM