Sam the Record Man on Yonge Street to Close

Sam the Record ManIt's the end of an era in Toronto. Sam the Record Man at 347 Yonge Street is closing its doors for good.

I haven't read about this in the press and I haven't heard this news on the radio or television, but I have friends on the inside who have provided me with enough proof that I'm comfortable calling this a sad certainty. Earlier today, Sam the Record Man sent out letters to all their suppliers saying that they wanted all orders cancelled because they will be closing their store June 30th. Employees are actively looking for new work and are aware the flagship Sam the Record Man location in downtown Toronto is about to enter its final month after 46 years at Yonge and Dundas.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, but it's still very sad for this long time fan of the store. Unlike HMV at 333 Yonge, Sam's had character. You could read the history written on the walls in the words of the many artists who had visited. The official site stopped selling music online a month ago and is now a static store hour information page. A good indicator a business is about to go under is a barebones or offline website.

Sam the Record Man will most definitely be missed. Here are entries in which I remember better days at Sam's.

Is there any chance we can preserve those two neon records that have become a Yonge Street fixture?

Sam the Record Man

Perry

You realize you killed Sam by going digital, don't you? It's Sam the Record Man, not Sam the MP3 Man.

Time passed Sam by.

May 29, 2007 @ 9:08 PM

toronto amy

are you sure?

the wikipedia page says nothing about it

May 29, 2007 @ 9:21 PM

Toronto Mike

t.a. - I'm sure. My source, Mr. GF, is in a position where he would know such things. By the time you wake up I'll bet this is all over the mainstream media.

Perry - I think we all killed Sam's. I used to visit Sam's several times a year to spend my hard earned money. Now I visit about once a year and spend a little less. ;-)

May 29, 2007 @ 9:31 PM

Mike Kic

Booner,

I knew about this one early yesterday morning, how do you think GF found out? But honestly, I used to love shopping there, but these guys have been a hassle to record labels everywhere since the last time they went under. I would love to preserve the big neon records as well, as for Sam's well...pay your bills, f@%kers!!

May 30, 2007 @ 8:51 AM

Toronto Mike

Kic, if you had this yesterday morning, where was my exclusive? C'mon dude, I had to wait to get it all from GF after tee ball!

May 30, 2007 @ 8:55 AM

Al

It's truly sad news. Unfortunately, the way things on Yonge St. are going, Sam's will probably become another strip joint. The good news would be that they could keep the records and just change the colour. :P

Seriously though...at least Sam's will live on in the multitude of films in which the famous records appear as a backdrop. I know there are many, but the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Angel Eyes.

May 30, 2007 @ 9:42 AM

Mike Kic

Boon,
The only reason GF was the only one I told is because of his location....he had to be the first to know. As for not telling you Booner, I'm sorry. Next time Sam's closes down you'll be the first to know.

May 30, 2007 @ 12:18 PM

Anonymous

When does the sale start?

May 30, 2007 @ 12:30 PM

Toronto Mike

Yeah, that should be one hell of a sale.

Also, I've got to get in there and snap some pictures of the wall scribbles... before it's too late.

May 30, 2007 @ 1:19 PM

AndrewC

Sad to see Sam's go .. Back in the 80's when I started to work full time I would hit the delete bins weekly to see what treasures I could find.

May 30, 2007 @ 3:09 PM

Kara

There are petitions on facebook to save the sign that are being sent to numerous city councillors including David Miller

June 1, 2007 @ 9:06 AM

Toronto Mike

I suspect it will be preserved. This is good news for my pathetic, nostalgic ass.

June 1, 2007 @ 9:10 AM

ulpvzabw geozjf

ckoma vxtu xpjqvnsk pcihunka uripx mjgxfzk zlshjdt

November 18, 2008 @ 1:54 AM

ybwpjv qkwej

nzctueo hortbum xlfsq wdgn hcanvlek pshbry rqlfuizb http://www.joluzdpah.catpw.com

November 18, 2008 @ 1:55 AM