The Beautiful South - A Little Time

MP3Don't call it a comeback...

I used to share an MP3 from my collection every Wednesday, and due to popular demand, I'm bringing it back. You have seven days to grab this week's MP3. Please right-click your mouse and select "Save Link As..." or "Save target as..." so you can download it before playing.

play The Beautiful South - A Little Time
CFNY used to play this track often in early 1991 and I loved it. It was the only hit on this side of the pond from this British band.

It holds up nicely. Still a great track.

Frankie Segreti

Great song, you've reminded me of what great FM Radio could be.
I have Beautiful South's debut Album and CD and will now put those tracks into play on my Android music player.

Thank you for sharing!

May 30, 2012 @ 12:06 PM

Blind Dave

Thanks from me too!

I'd never heard of them, but I like this song so I'm downloading a few more via torrent.

Mike, do you know anything about their Housemartins roots, other than the standard bio?

May 30, 2012 @ 1:24 PM

@Blind Dave

I'm no help to you on that one.

I heard the song on the radio, picked up Choke, and that was it. In the days before the Internet it was tough to gauge how successful bands were overseas, but my best friend had a foreign exchange student from Germany living with him in the spring of 1991 and I was excited to hear that The Beautiful South had a string of hits over there.

May 30, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Blind Dave

Will listen to the downloads over the next couple of days and let you know.

May 30, 2012 @ 1:53 PM

N

I love this song and still listen to it frequently. But the song I remember CFNY playing the most from this band was "Song for Whoever". Its a great track, if you can find it. Thankfully, The Beautiful South debut was the first CD I ever bought (at Sam the Record Man on Yonge), so I listen to this track frequently too.

May 30, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

@N

Damn, I forgot about Song for Whoever. CFNY definitely played that one... so there's at least two Beautiful South songs getting heavy airplay in Toronto.

May 30, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

N

@Toronto Mike

:) Damn, I miss radio.

May 30, 2012 @ 2:05 PM

Blind Dave

@N
@Toronto Mike

Song for Whoever is BRILLIANT!!! (yes, I just got the download)

Thank you so much for introducing me to this band. Lyrically the remind me of They Might Be Giants for their quirky use of words.

May 30, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

N

@Blind Dave, if you like them, please download The Housemartins as well. From what I recall, The Housemartins broke up, and some members formed The Beautiful South afterwards. The Housemartins song "Caravan of Love" was also in heavy rotation on CFNY back in the day. They were both GREAT bands. (As an aside, The Beautiful South released an album of cover songs a few years ago that was also really good.)

May 30, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

CQ

Instant complete dislike. Really.
This 90s song is going to be quiet, or will it build loud. Nope. Repeat repeat.
Hated it. (and Herman, too - but Unger has just died.)

May 30, 2012 @ 3:29 PM

@CQ

That's okay, I'm glad we don't all love the same stuff. Different strokes and all that.

If you tell me you hate Tarantino movies we can go for the rare trifecta.

May 30, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

Blind Dave

@N

Thanks, I'm grabbing some of the Housemartins as well. Now I've got lots of new stuff to listen to at work tomorrow!

May 30, 2012 @ 3:36 PM

CQ

"I'm trying real hard, Toronto Ringo, to be the good sheppard."
-Samuel L Jackson, Pulp Fiction?

May 30, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Wayner

The Beautiful South played in TO at least 3 times (and I saw them each times). The last was in 2006 (or there abouts)at the Phoenix.

A very good band.... Alas they've broken up. but I understand that a "reformed" band is touring around the UK

May 30, 2012 @ 4:00 PM

Trish

Thanks, Mike!

May 30, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

Romy

They're still played over here on a fairly regular basis (Radio Two and BBC 6Music). "Carry On Up The Charts" is their greatest hits compilation and another one called "0898" is a good listen too (IMHO).

Beautiful South did indeed come out of the dust of the Housemartins. The other main player in that band (Norman Cook) became Fatboy Slim.

June 1, 2012 @ 3:38 AM

Kenneth

One of their best also was: Don't Marry Her Fuck Me. Give that one a listen. May be my favourite!

June 1, 2012 @ 7:44 PM