Hot May Open Mike

May 2-4 Long Weekend Open MikeWe're hitting 30° today, people. 30°... and that's Celsius, my American friends.

But if I hear one of you complain about the heat I'm gonna lose it on you in the comments. Consider yourselves warned.

You know the drill, discuss anything you want in this space. And if you have a question, I'll drop by throughout the day to answer you.

St3ve

There are times when I have something on my mind... when I wear a hat!

May 25, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

519 Rob

I think The Leafs are going to miss Dudley. Even though I'm not sure how much he even did. The Leafs have to have the biggest front office in hockey.

May 25, 2012 @ 12:14 PM

D

It's too hot outside.

May 25, 2012 @ 12:19 PM

Ryan G

Riding my bike down by Cherry Street, I noticed the tents being set up for this new show in town Odysseo, which appears to me like Cirque Du Soleil With Horses.

Not my sort of thing but I guess it's good for families.

To me it seems like one of those things that is interesting for about 3 minutes. "Hey look it's horses running in circles with blue lighting", and then, "Hey look it's horses running in circles in the other direction with red lighting".

Maybe if the horses put on top hats and sang show tunes and tapped dance and shit I might be interested, but otherwise...meh.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

@Ryan G

I tried the Cirque thing... it didn't take. I guess I'm not a Cirque guy.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

McNulty

I just want this to turn into a stupid debate between Dave and Phil about drugs. Oh wait, Phil now says that it isnt a drug.

I also don't speed. I just drive quickly.

It is a useless argument. Let's just talk about the heat and how it is hot and it makes you sweat when it is hot. So hot.

Or that the Habs will win next year.

Or how Mike owes Fred an apology for commenting on a public facing job that is based on listener response. And as a listener Mike responded.

At least no one hates Rob Ford this week.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

G

Best thing about the heat is watching baseball down at Christie Pits on a Sunday afternoon.

Great atmosphere like baseball is supposed to be unlike the pretentious Skydome(no I will never call it R....s, hate,hate that company).

You can hear the bats cracking, the players yapping, the umps calling, & the fans giving it bad or good.

Every Sunday afternoon at 2PM.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

@G

Sounds good.

My boy plays baseball at High Park. He's got a game tonight and another on Sunday afternoon. With 2-3 games a week, plus practices, my baseball-watching schedule is pretty jammed.

Oh yeah, and I play two games a week myself. Go Storm!

May 25, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

@LasagnaKing

I realize LasagnaKing (a.k.a. Anthony from Palma Pasta) hasn't actually commented here yet, but I just heard Humble Howard reading his email on today's podcast.

For the record, I never admitted that I store Humble’s lady friend Amanda in my spank bank wearing an SS uniform with the front pockets missing. In my spank bank, she's never wearing an SS uniform.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Ryan G

Anyone watch Game of Thrones? Fabulous show.

I discovered on Reddit (and confirmed it later) that one of the minor characters this season is in fact the granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin.

She plays Talisa, a field surgeon, who seems to be drumming up some vibes with Robb Stark.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

@Ryan G

Game of Thrones is on my list... I'll get to it soon, hopefully this summer.

May 25, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Ajax Mike

I'll chime in that it's too hot, but only because I don't have AC in my apartment (yet), and I'm supposed to have 9-10 people over tonight. I really hope the temperature drops quick when the sun goes down...

May 25, 2012 @ 3:21 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ McNulty - I'm done with that debate. It's just going to go in circles.

It is freaking hot!! But it's better than being freaking cold!!! But I feel Ajax Mike's pain..I am sans AC at home right now as well...booo

May 25, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

Cheryl

Agreed. Being hot is better than being cold and having to put up with snow, but in the winter there is hockey and basketball. The summer only has boring baseball. That's why hockey should go on all year round. Oh well, the new hockey schedule should be out some time in June or July. Then I can find out when my Habs and Coyotes play. Hopefully my Suns will make the basketball playoffs next year.

May 25, 2012 @ 4:41 PM

Ryan G

@Cheryl.

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but baseball's an acquired taste, and certainly not for everybody.

I used to agree with you completely, but a few years ago I was around the game a whole lotta time, and began to understand and appreciate the subtleties and the strategies.

It's truly a game of inches, which is why MLB playoffs are so good. Every pitch, every throw, every swing..is magnified.

Those of us old enough will remember just how effing tense it was during the Jays playoffs and the World Series. Fantastic stuff.

May 25, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

twins from bolton

Both my kids were at a Rep Baseball tournament 5-6 years ago in Bolton on this last weekend of May. Saturday's early games were played in snow flurries & Sat. night game was at 5 degrees C. I was coaching & wore a winter jacket over my uniform.

Sorry Mike I'd rather have that weather than this hot & humid crap. My snow shovel is still not put away, even though winter tires were removed a month ago.

GO MARLIES GO tonight

May 25, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

J9

I am enjoying Sons of Anarchy - my new favourite show. But I would like to see what the hype is about Game of Thrones once I finish season 3 of SOA.

Haven't put the AC on yet, and it is supposed to get cooler tomorrow. Phew!

May 25, 2012 @ 6:54 PM

Another Perspective

"Being hot is better than being cold".

If it's cold, put on more clothes or add another blanket to the bed. But if it's hot, what do you do once you've taken off all the blankets and as many clothes as you dare?

May 25, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

Cheryl

Baseball puts me to sleep. That's why I don't like it. Anyway, if it's too cold, you can put on tons of clothes and still feel the cold through them, plus if there is snow, that means that it's hard for people to get around iin it and things get canceled. Oh well, I like ice skating so that's another good thing about winter, but I don't mind the hot stuff.

May 25, 2012 @ 9:37 PM

Blind Dave

So it's LA vs NJ.

Don't know who I'm pulling for yet. Thoughts?

May 25, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Let's get Ponikarovsky a cup!

May 25, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

dale

An 8th place team vs. Martin Brodeur. Don't care who wins as both teams deserve Lord Stanley.

Burkie must be in living hell with saying getting just into playoffs as 8th place team is not worth it & getting our @$$ spanked in the 1st round.

Has there been any comments from Burke or sidekick Wilson since DDay??

Marlies onto the AHL final. That's awesome. Parade soon, with nobody attending??

@Mike DO NOT respond to the Marlies as bad vibes in the past.

May 25, 2012 @ 11:24 PM

Rosie

Ponikarovsky always does so well and no one ever notices him! Devils will win and the Leafs will be sorry they let him go! HA! I can't wait! Go Devils!

May 25, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

Jason Patterson

OK I won't complain about the heat, but I reserve the right not to like the heat/smog.

May 26, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

4x4 Time

If you are looking for some fun rockabilly, twang, dark blues music, check out Big Boy Bloater from the UK online. The dude has some great lively tunes, hope ya dig it.

May 26, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Douglas

I'll take the heat (hate the smog), but then again, I am fortunate to live only a few blocks from the lake in Ajax, so it is usually several degrees cooler here than only a mile or so to the north. I see the digits on my car's thermometer drop as I drive south into my subdivision.

The only thing I don't like about the heat is that, eventually, I will have to turn on the A/C and pay Dalton McSpendy's increasingly expensive rates for electricity to pay for the Billion$ in subsidies for "green" energy. The most green involved is from the dollar$ in tax money being wasted. I'm for good, clean energy, just not the way it has been done in Ontario.

On to better things - While I agree with Dale, I'm going to cheer for New Jersey. I've always like Martin Brodeur. I'd like to see him win another Stanley Cup. And Ponikarovsky is yet another in the line of nearly all former Maple Losers who go on to do (very) well after leaving Toronto.

May 26, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

Jason from Sudbury

LA Kings all the way!

May 26, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I'm okay with a Kings win, but I think I'm rooting for Ponikarovsky. Please don't ask me why...

May 26, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

Cheryl

My Coyotes are gone so who cares. Oh well, next year my Habs and Coyotes will be in the finals. That will be good.

May 26, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

Dave Williams

A fellow in London was busted with a grow operation worth over $1 Million of pot. Does anyone here think that if he uses the defence that "it is not a drug" , he should get off?

May 26, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

Blind Dave

@dale

Mind you, there's a huge difference between an 8th place LA team and an 8th place Leafs (snicker) team. The Kings were expected to do well right from the beginning of the season and are a team on the rise. They just had a mediocre season and put it together at the right time. The Leafs are just plain lousy, so Burke is actually right.

Both LA and NJ have talent. The Leafs have....????

May 26, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Douglas

@Blind Dave - you nailed it! The Leafs have...nothing but question marks! But more than four of them.

May 26, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Found out my Air is busted, but after 25 years it owes me nothing. Luckily half my family is in the biz, but they are all busy this weekend doing paying jobs and don't have time for a free loading relative LOL.

May 27, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

Blind Dave

@Rick C in Oakville

Pity I'm 2000km away. I do office management for a heating and plumbing company. I could have just slid your name to the top of the pile. :)

May 27, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Sam From England

How come every Wednesday, you don't share an mp3 from your collection anymore?

May 28, 2012 @ 6:11 AM

@Sam From England

I'm happy to bring that back. I stopped, and when nobody complained, I figured nobody missed it.

May 28, 2012 @ 9:12 AM