Tiger Wins and Suddenly I Give a Shit

golfI wrote this entry two years ago. I titled it "I'm Not a PGA Fan, I'm a Tiger Fan, and this is Crazy".

I've never been a golf fan. I don't play the sport at all and I don't follow the PGA. Having admitted that, I've been a big Tiger Woods fan since he was an amateur.

This is a quick update now that Tiger has actually won a tournament. I'm willing to bet you've heard more about Tiger today than you have in quite some time. I'll also bet most of you suddenly give a shit about golf after not giving a shit all year.

Admit it... you want Tiger to contend and win more majors. Like me, you're not a PGA fan, you're a Tiger fan, and you root for him.

tiger-woods-out-of-bunker

@elvis

I love it when we agree.

December 5, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

Sammi

Tiger Wins and I Still Don't Give a Shit.

December 5, 2011 @ 2:45 PM

MrFascination

Mashed Potatoes!

December 5, 2011 @ 4:10 PM

Cheryl

Golf is so boring. It sucks. My dad likes watching golf and he plays it. It's too boring. Go habs.

December 5, 2011 @ 4:39 PM

J9

Yawn.

In other sports news..Canada made history in women’s rugby, claiming the first ever IRB Women’s Sevens Challenge Cup.

Definitely NOT a boring sport.

December 5, 2011 @ 5:29 PM

Mike from Lowville

I'm with Sammy. Since Tiger has been down in the dumps, its been fun to watch golf on TV again! No more Tiger this Tiger that, Tiger farts! I hope this is a short lived resurrection!

December 5, 2011 @ 5:41 PM

andrew

I like playing golf, but watching on TV is like watching PAINT DRY.

Tiger was (is) a model for the PGA. He was nothing but a spoiled brat who excelled at golf & he was so dominant it was unforeseen when he started & played until 2009.

He screwed (literally) up his life & because his wins 1 tournament in 2 years (with only 18 players) everyone back on the bandwagon.

Personally his time is done & love to see younger players like Fowler take over.

December 5, 2011 @ 6:56 PM

Rob

I don't give a shit about Tiger Woods. Had a chance to watch him play in the CDN open in 2000. He was a douche then and seemed to continue that trend for years to come.

December 5, 2011 @ 7:27 PM

dale

Tiger is with Tigress (Rachel)?

He was best golfer by far in the world for many years & F'D up his life.

Work or Family? What is important @$$Hole?

December 5, 2011 @ 8:52 PM

David

Nope, I have no use for Tiger. I don't wish ill of him, as he's never done anything to me, but it's been good to have other golfers in the spotlight for the last couple of years.

December 5, 2011 @ 8:56 PM

Gump

The way I see it, golf is part of the "old man's" trifecta of sports - golf, horse racing and boxing.
In my youth, those sports were "important". Covered by ABC Sports and Howard Cosell, written about in the paper, and dominating the sports pages. Today, they are becoming more and more 'fringe' sports that very rarely become front page (sports) news.
Of course there are lots of reasons for the decline (internet gambling, MMA, corruption), but golf is somewhat different since it was the sport that people could actually play.
What is killing it is the egalitarian change in society. Personally I don't have 3-5 hours to play on a Saturday or weekday afternoon b/c I have a family that I support 50%. There are clothes to wash, food to prepare and kids to parent. Good luck getting that huge chunk of time 'granted' to me by my spouse...

December 5, 2011 @ 9:37 PM

Ryan

Gump: I disagree. There are more young people playing golf today than there ever were. The fact that your spouse won't give you 3-5 hours once in a blue moon to play doesn't mean that everybody in the world with a family is the same way. I've got a 2.5 year old at home, and another on the way, I golf maybe 5 or 6 times a year. I love it. I'm not particularly good, but it's still great fun to spend a couple hours in the afternoon with some buddies. It's *definitely* still a sport that "people could actually play" - I'm not sure why you have the impression that it's not.

I love golf. Love playing it, love watching a tournament on TV. But I rarely have the time to watch a tournament on TV these days, the same way I rarely have time to watch an NFL game, much as I love me some NFL too. And I love when Tiger does well, because it's good for the game, and more people watch. Like it or not. There's a ton of exciting golfers these days (Rory McIlroy comes to mind), but none have really captured the public's imagination the way that Tiger did. If he comes back to form and manages to start winning some majors? It'll be HUGE for the game. But it just goes to show how much of a mental game golf is, that it takes even somebody with Tiger's amazing skills this long to pull his game back together.

December 6, 2011 @ 9:35 AM

Argie

Well its that semi annual occurrence when I actually agree 100% with what Mike from Lowville wrote. Oh well.

Tiger can screw off for all I care. And I'm sure he will with another local skank.

December 6, 2011 @ 7:54 PM

andrew

Tiger has & still is a whiny spoiled brat since he was on the Mike Douglas show in the late 70's - early 80's at 4-5 yrs old.

He "had" a great family but he chose his putter before his head. He is a great golfer but too worried about his "Skank bank"

December 6, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

Mike Gamble

I actually found myself watching on Sunday and cheering for Tiger to win. The last time I watched that much golf on TV was more than 2 years ago when Tiger was always winning. The PGA needs Tiger, and for him to win. There was such a big crowd watching him too. I will definitely be watching more now, if his domination of the sport returns.

December 8, 2011 @ 12:00 PM