Ongoing History of My Music Formats

cdI started collecting music when I was about 9 years old. In the very beginning, I collected both vinyl albums and cassette tapes. I'm not sure when I stopped buying vinyl, but it was after 1987 because I remember buying a 45 of Billy Idol's live cover of Mony Mony.

I stopped buying cassettes shortly after getting my first CD player in 1988. Then, it was all CDs until I digitized my CD collection in 2003. Here's something I wrote here about that process of ripping my CDs to MP3s.

For almost a decade now, I've been an MP3 guy instead of a CD guy, but throughout my life I've dabbled in four different formats. Here's 30 years of music change in 30 seconds.

30years

What about you guys? When did you switch formats?

[via Alan Cross]

Andrew

I switched to all CD in 1997 when I did my last professional DJ'ing gig. It was an Orthodox Christian wedding and I did it for a friends sister. Needless to say it was a horrible experience and the next day I drove down to Traxx on Yonge St. and sold my two turntables, mixer, amp and 4800 LP's. I just wanted it to be over and I think my girlfriend (lovely bride now) was happy to have the milk crates out of our apartment.

I do wish that they had the turntable converters back then as I had some kick ass 12" remixes that I would have like to have kept.

I'm now 100% digital - .wav or lossless. I think I switched over in 2007 or around then.

Cheers!

August 18, 2011 @ 2:42 PM

Ryan G

I have been DJ'ng on the side for many years now. I learned on vinyl in the late 80's, but jumped to CD's early 90's. I still haven't converted my CD collection into a digital library.

I still spin at parties with a Denon 4500 dual CD player and Numark Mixer, but i'm looking to sell it as a package(any takers, let me know here) and maybe purchase something smaller and more compact like the Numark MixDeck, which has dual CD trays but also an Ipod/Iphone input, and laptop interface.

I still feel the need, however, to have physical CD's as a backup in case the digital stuff crashes, but yes, it is time to migrate all my music over.

Which i'll probably never do because it really just sounds so exhausting..

August 18, 2011 @ 3:07 PM

CQ

Never did buy Vinyl since most of my listening would be in a car or on a patio deck or with a Walkman. Only moved up to CDs by the mid-90s. They cost more. Shifted to individual mp3s in '02.
Now, I'm wishing to upgrade to a full CD collection at the 320 bitrate.

August 18, 2011 @ 4:02 PM

Mike from Lowville

I still listen to 78's. I find flac to be my most listened to format now, but I still listen to all my previous. Never had too many cassette's maybe 4 or 5. Have boxes of 8 tracks though....lol.

August 18, 2011 @ 4:04 PM

Rob

Mike, you and I must be close to the same age, as your musical history, starting at age 9, is pretty similar.

I still listen to a bit of everything (well, except for the casette, that's dead to me), but generally, for me, its CD or MP3.

But, I have been apart of the vinyl resurgence. I have an MP3 converting turntable, and an ever-growing collection of vinyl. I really love all this new vinyl coming out.

August 18, 2011 @ 4:08 PM

Cheryl

I got my first CD player in 1987. I don't remember when I stopped buying vinyl, but I went to all CDs shortly and sold my turntable. Then recently I was missing vinyl bec there is something about vinyl CDs doesn't have so I bought another turntable and then bought some vinyl on Ebay so I have a vinyl collection again. The problem with vinyl is that it's hard to keep clean or keep the needle clean, especially if you are blind. Oh well, at least now I can go to either format, but then I have my CDs all made into MP3s so that's good.

August 18, 2011 @ 5:53 PM

Roshanr

I've never bough vinyl. I started buying tapes when I was 8 (1984) and stuck with it till almost 2000 when CDs started becoming more fordable but I still bought some cassettes till 2002. Then only CDs which go into a big box as soon as I rip it into mp3s.

August 19, 2011 @ 12:42 AM

Jill

Vinyl all the way. Digitalized music is cold and has no ambiance. Vinyl recordings have a warmth to them that makes listening to music this way more accoustically appealing and I sincerely believe if you are a true music lover you will not compromise convenience for quality. Anytime you want to have a soundoff..... CD vs Vinyl you let me know.

August 24, 2011 @ 4:07 AM