Johnny Mac's Father's Day Home Run (Or Why I Love Sports)

JaysWe all love Johnny Mac. In a previous era, John McDonald could be our everyday SS. I remember when your defensive gem of a shortstop didn't have to carry a big bat, but those days seem to be long gone.

John's father, Jack McDonald, died of liver cancer last Tuesday at the age of 60. Jack was buried on Friday, and Johnny Mac was back with the team Saturday. Yesterday, on Father's Day, John entered the game to play second base in the ninth inning. He'd get to bat with a man aboard in the bottom of the inning, his first at-bat since losing his dad.

We had talked about the type of player I am before I came back, the fact that I don’t hit a lot of home runs. He said, ‘Hit your next one for me.’

In the bottom of the ninth, on Father's Day, two days after burying his dad, Johnny Mac went deep. This is why I love sports. This is why I love Johnny Mac.

Ryan

Good for you Johnny!!! Very nice story given the sad circumstances of his dad's early passing. There is no sport like baseball that is filled with magical tales like these. It's a beautiful game and Johnny is a beautiful defensive SS. I am sure his dad was proud.

June 21, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

elvis

I agree. My second favourite is Reed Johnson. JP should have been fired for letting him go a long time ago.

June 21, 2010 @ 8:42 PM

felix

Yeah, well said, Mike. This was truly one of those special moments. I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

June 21, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

David

Wow, it was a beautiful moment and Johnny Mac is such a class act, you're bang on about this one Mike, thanks for posting it...it's a classic for the ages.

June 21, 2010 @ 9:31 PM

Not Mike's Brother Ryan

i've met johnny mac a number of times and he's nothing less than a class act through and throughout.

my thoughts are with you john.

r

June 22, 2010 @ 7:52 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I've always loved Johnny Mac. That made me love him even more. Great things happen to great people with perfect timing. Hollywood couldn't have scripted that any better.

June 22, 2010 @ 9:11 AM