FAN 590 Suggestion: Turn to Gold

radioWell, that happened fast. Last Tuesday, I wrote that big changes at the FAN 590 were imminent. On Wednesday, we were tossing around ideas for the new FAN 590 morning show. By Thursday, just about everybody outside of Prime Time was gone.

According to sources, the departed include morning co-hosts Don Landry and Gord Stellick, mid-morning host Mike Hogan and news announcer Rick Ralph. In addition, Jack Armstrong’s mid-afternoon show has been killed, though Armstrong and co-host Eric Smith may remain on staff.

Rogers Sportsnet’s Daren Millard, host of the noon hockey show, has been replaced by Greg Brady. Millard will likely return to a full-time job at Sportsnet.

That's right, even Gord Stellick got the boot. Stellick seemed like such a staple at the FAN, I didn't think he'd ever be let go.

The FAN 590 will hang on to their all-sports format, I'm sure. But if they ever decided to think outside that format, they may want to step into the 590 time machine and turn to gold.

Steve

The Hogan one surprises me just because he's been there for so long, but I guess it really shouldn't.

I hope management has some good ideas about what they're going to do for replacements.

Yes, I'm laughing at myself for that last statement too.

June 28, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

4x4 Time

Steve Simmonds - Toronto Sun on twitter - “Don’t know what makes less sense: Firing Stellick and Landry or putting Farraway on in the mornings. What’s the goal – zero ratings?”
Beautiful.

June 29, 2010 @ 8:06 AM

4x4 Time

Beautiful.

June 29, 2010 @ 8:07 AM

Steve

I would suggest that anyone who rememebers Steve Simmons' radio show on that very same station would agree that his opinion on the medium should be given as much consideration as my Grandmother's.

June 29, 2010 @ 7:24 PM

Jeff

What happened to Taylor and Biggs on Virgin Radio 999?

June 30, 2010 @ 3:47 PM

Steve

Taylor, Biggs & Jimmy T were amongst a group relieved of their duties a few weeks ago.

June 30, 2010 @ 10:11 PM

Mark

Is there any other sport
stations in Toronto? I will be looking them up.

July 9, 2010 @ 10:07 PM

Anonymous

I'm shocked by this. Don and Gord were like a warm blanket for me in the mornings. Now I'm searching for other alternatives in the morning. I hope and trust that they'll both re-emerge in other spots.

July 14, 2010 @ 9:45 PM

E J

Tried listening to the fan today, been several days as I'm in my busy season up in Muskoka, didn't hear anything worthwhile, enjoyable or familiar; the least tech savvy guy in the world just struggled with his blackberry and found out the bad news.predictable outcome that the best sports radio station in the world would become a mirror image of the teams they report on in the big smoike. Bye bye fan 590.

July 20, 2010 @ 11:51 AM

Vick

I thought everyone was on holidays. Now it's borrring.

August 3, 2010 @ 5:03 PM