Unbelievable Picture of Eyjafjallajökull - Waiting for Katla

boltI still can't believe this picture of Iceland's Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupting. The first time I saw it, I was sure it was shopped, but a little digging reveals this is the real deal.

eyjafjallajokull

By the way, the last time Eyjafjallajökull erupted, it erupted for 14 months, from December 1821 to January 1823. And if that's not frightening enough, every time previously that Eyjafjallajökull has erupted, its neighbour, the much larger Katla, has followed suit.

I always knew Iceland was trouble.

[Image via Marco Fulle's collection (currently offline)]

Ryan

Iceland hasn't had me this worried since D-2, The 2nd Mighty Ducks movie.

I remember laughing as they portrayed the Iceland Boys hockey team as the bad, evil foreigners...

They had it right all along... I can't recall... Did the Ducks end up winning that game?

Emilio Estevez, you are our only hope!!!!!!

April 18, 2010 @ 5:11 PM

Yes, I remember wondering how Iceland suddenly had good hockey players in D-2 when there's never been an Icelandic NHL player. All because they have ice, I guess.

And didn't Bjork once lose it in an airport and punch a photographer or something? That was another sign.

I HATE ICELAND!

April 18, 2010 @ 5:14 PM

Ryan

Iceland will be the doom of us all!!!

Hey Mike, I wonder why there would be an add on your site that is selling tickets to Coyotes playoff games?? I mean, I know you have no control, but is anyone in Toronto viewing a local Toronto site going to spontaneously see that and go to Phoenix for the big game 5 against Detroit?

Seriously, who is in? I'm going.

April 18, 2010 @ 5:27 PM

If you go, be sure to throw a snake.

April 18, 2010 @ 6:07 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

If everyone remembers the unusually cool summer we had last year due to La Nina, expect the same for this year as well and as long as this thing continues to spew ash, the last big Volcano like this to blow caused much cooler than normal temps because the Ash was blocking sunlight all over the globe. I don;t know if we can take another cool summer.

April 18, 2010 @ 7:58 PM

elvis

Iceland is an awesome place...seriously go.

April 18, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Ian

You probably already know, but the Iceland volcano picture is a time-lapse photo (you can see the star trails faintly behind the lightning).

Took several minutes for the various lightning flashes to occur, so it's not like the photo is an instantaneous snapshot of what the eruption looks like.

April 19, 2010 @ 8:17 AM

Jemima Maroney

It certainly is a nasty point in time for the airline sector, and yet our hopes - even if the images of the volcano are truly staggering - would need to be with the men and women stranded far from home.Many thanks for your current write-up.

April 20, 2010 @ 10:53 AM