Michael J. Fox's Marathon of Hope

Terry FoxThis one is a few days old now, but it's worth an entry. Meredith Vieira, who was on NBC talking about Betty Fox, speculated that as mother of "Michael Fox…who suffered from cancer, he started that marathon of hope" she might actually be the person who would light the Olympic cauldron.

I can almost accept the slip of the tongue, but the kicker is when NBC throws up a picture of Michael J. Fox to ensure Americans know exactly who Meredith Vieira is talking about.

dale

Goes to show how ignorant some US people are. NBC should have done their homework.

February 15, 2010 @ 11:51 AM

David

At least it wasn't Rush Limbaugh accusing Terry Fox of exaggerating the effects of having only one leg.

February 15, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

Hobo Joe

Dale,

Every country, sect, race, people, etc., has ignorant people. Your statement should have read: Goes to show how ignorant some people are. NBC should have done their homework.

Your own ignorance comes shining through by trying to point out others'.

Personally speaking, I saw the Terry Fox Story as a young boy on HBO and it left an indelible mark on me. I'm also very familiar with, and a big fan of, the body of work Michael J. Fox has done since his career began. I would never get the two people confused.

February 15, 2010 @ 12:37 PM

Hobo Joe

WOW!! Ironically enough, after my previous post, I was watching Millionaire hosted by???? You guessed it, Merideth Vieira. And the question was: Played by Brendan Fraser in a 1999 movie, Dudley Do-Right is a cartoon character with what unusual day job?

Now I usually like to guess the answer before they show them so I guessed, a park ranger. I was wrong. The answers were A-Elephant trainer B-Canadian mountie C-Hot air balloonist D-Kung fu instructor. It was then obvious to me the answer was B. I hope that doesn't make me an ignorant US citizen.

February 15, 2010 @ 12:54 PM

dale

Notice US people - NOT U.S. as
comment was for overall "us" people.

February 15, 2010 @ 1:18 PM

Hobo Joe

Yeah right. Nice try.

February 15, 2010 @ 3:27 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

WOW!

That should hopefully state how surprised I am in the arrogance and ignorance of Americans. And I do say "all" because as as a host of the TODAY show, she should have known before she opened her trap.

Hopefully, she isn't looking for Alex P. Keaton on the gold medal podium tonight.

Most importantly, GO CANADA GO!!!

February 15, 2010 @ 4:10 PM

Hobo Joe

Canada's leading brain surgeon enters the fray. According to you, because Meredeth Vieira made a mistake, "all" Americans are arrogant and ignorant? BTW, notice she says Michael Fox? Not Michael J. Fox, as he is universally known and called. I'm quite willing to bet she also knows MJF has Parkinsons, not cancer. She clearly had a slip of the lip, though NBC is more at fault for showing his picture.

Oh yeah, let me say GO USA GO!!!

February 15, 2010 @ 4:49 PM

dale

Read 1st comment SOME US.
Nothing ever said about ALL.
I have to stoke my coal in my igloo.

February 15, 2010 @ 5:04 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Stephanie, before you say All please take me out of that blanket statement about "ALL" americans being ignorant, I knew the difference and I just had to laugh because Meredith is and should be smarter than that and Matt should have caught her, someone should have whispered in her ear so she could have corrected it, I just sat there and shook my head. it was a mistake. Generally NBC does a good job but unfortunately they have their morning show who lets face it is geared torward shorter term memory type of stories, Bob Costas would have gotten it right.

February 15, 2010 @ 5:16 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

Buffalo Mike - I'm sorry. You're right. But they flashed his picture up.. probably saying nothing was better than saying something. Anyhow, Mike.. you are an ambassador for the Canadian on the American side.. There aren't that many of you who really care to know so I do appreciate the fact that you do.

February 15, 2010 @ 6:53 PM

MississaugaBlogger.com

Vincente Fox, Micheal's older brother, was president of Mexico from 2000-2006. Micheal also ran across Mexico.

February 15, 2010 @ 8:22 PM

Anone

It definitely sounds like she was unsure of herself as she was saying it though...she might have had second thoughts about it.

February 16, 2010 @ 1:53 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Stephanie, the sad thing is in order to appreciate the great many talents Canada is home to you have to live in a border town, you go 100 miles outside of Buffalo and no one gives a crap about Canada, The Hip for instance sell out HSBC arena in Buffalo, go 50 miles to the east in Rochester and they play a club.
I do though blame meredith and the morning show for not doing the homework, the moreI watched the clip the more she wasn't sure and obviously the studio wasn't sure, though Im surprised the studio at least flashed up a picture of Terry initially so they thought she was going that route and then they werent sure, get it right

February 16, 2010 @ 2:51 PM

Trish

You nailed it, Buffalo Boy Mike. I grew up in a border town a stone's throw from Buffalo, which is very well-informed about Canada. Yes, Meredith Viera didn't do her homework, but CTV's Lisa Laflamme is no better. The woman is obviously so bored that if she were given a pillow she'd use it.

February 18, 2010 @ 11:20 AM