Canada Wins Gold in Hockey, My Heart Bursts With Pride

goldIncredible.

What a fantastic finish. I'm only now coming up for air, having flown above cloud 9 since Sidney Crosby scored in overtime to beat the USA and win Canada's record-breaking 14th gold medal. That scream you heard when Crosby potted the winner was mine.

I watched this game with the people I love the most in the world, and as we headed into overtime, I openly hoped Crosby would get the winner. I'm a big fan, a big believer, and I knew nothing would shut up his detractors faster than a gold medal winning goal. Now, we have a moment like this stitched into our cultural fabric, and there is no undo button. Nothing can take this away from us. This is our moment.

gisidneycrosbyfinalscore

gisidneycrosbycelebrategoal

When I'm on my deathbed, hopefully many decades from now, I'm going to remember this day. I'm going to remember it starting at 8am when I woke up my son for his championship game, a game he'd win, and ending with this euphoric feeling of national pride because we're #1. This is our game, on our ice, and now it's our gold and our podium.

I've never been so happy to be so right. Thanks, Canada.

Steven K

Miracles are nice, but they don't happen twice!

O Canada!!!!!!!

February 28, 2010 @ 7:39 PM

Sid Doubter

#87 ---- I owe you an apology.

When it mattered most you came through with flying colors.

Red and white of course.

February 28, 2010 @ 7:45 PM

A few more notes I forgot when I wrote this entry....

1. My son called it. We went around and everyone predicted the final score. I went with 5-3 Canada, while my son went with 3-2 Canada. The boy had a very good day.

2. I have a big fat "Podium Owned" entry in me that I'm going to suppress until tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned, the podium is ours. 14 gold medals is the most golds by any country ever at any winter Olympics. Chew on that factoid for a while.

3. I'm dying to know the television ratings for this game in this country. I know it's the most watched anything ever, but how many million of us tuned in? 20 million? Who the hell didn't watch?

4. My son was 1 month old when we won gold in Salt Lake. I'll never forget Crosby scoring this evening, my brothers jumping into my arms and me looking down and seeing James' big grin. I threw him in the air and gave him a big kiss. It's the first championship moment like this he's been old enough to remember and it was awfully special.

5. I believe this is the first hockey game I watched from puck drop to conclusion with my wife. We've been married 14+ years, so that's saying something.

6. I didn't head downtown, but I now wish I did. I'm watching the video coming in from Yonge and Dundas and it looks like an amazing party. http://www.twitvid.com/ABC80

7. I love being Canadian and I'm so fucking happy right now.

February 28, 2010 @ 7:56 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

Congrats! Great game, great finish despite it being Crosby, how ironic is it that Tuesday night Miller gets to go against Crosby when we play Pittsburgh....Miller will get his eventually this June when he hoists the Cup at HSBC Arena

February 28, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

BBM, you guys put up a good fight. There's no shame in your silver.

It's a lot more fun when the opposition shows up as you guys did. Russia's absence from our quarter-final was sort of disappointing. But you guys... you guys made us earn this.

This was a story book ending for us, winning the record-breaking 14th gold in the event we most coveted. A dream come true.

February 28, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

brad

damn proud canadian here

i'm sorry to see february end

February 28, 2010 @ 8:11 PM

Donna Vitan

I'm very happy and proud of Canada's Men Hockey team. I'm most happy about every Canadian being proud and wish we can all continue being gracious! The American team gave a great hustle.

February 28, 2010 @ 8:13 PM

Mary

I am one of those people you watched with Mike. One of the ones you love the most in the world. I hope I remember the safe and happy feeling we all had as we joyously congratulated each other. Excellent feeling! I am proud to be Canadian and proud that my boys watched the game together.

February 28, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

Ryan

@TM, what about the Round-About Call? Dude, that had to be in there somewhere!!!!!

Great game... I called 3-1 and for the Record Mike called 5-3 - WAAAAY OFF MIKE!!!!!

Anyhow, I will allow Mike who is more word savvy to explain my Mom's famous Round-About comment.

Do it Justice Mike.....

February 28, 2010 @ 8:21 PM

Haha... yes, our mom called a wrap-around attempt a round-about. For the rest of the game we anticipated the next round-about attempt by USA.

Hey Ry, why aren't we at Yonge and Dundas?

February 28, 2010 @ 8:25 PM

Ryan

Because we are old and have kids. Get over it!

Look at all those young faces. I am 33 years old and one happy son of a bitch on my couch right now.

If we could only freeze time. My beautiful 5 year old boy is sleeping in the room next to me.

Yes, i prefer him unconscious. Kidding....

Could we be the coolest country in the world?

February 28, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Hey Ryan, if you're calling yourself a son of a bitch, what does that make mom?

I'm happier than a pig in shit. Here's hoping these closing ceremonies include more Neil Young and less Nickelback.

February 28, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

Ryan

Sorry Ma!!!!

February 28, 2010 @ 8:53 PM

Alan G

What a game!! Crosby's goal is as memorable a moment for me as was watching Paul Henderson's goal in 1972 when I was still a teenager. Like you and yours, Mike, my wife and I watched the game together from beginning to end (don't usually do that) and had a blast pigging out on chicken wings and ice cream. Hats of to the U.S. They made it a true golden game.

February 28, 2010 @ 8:54 PM

Ok people, I want to hear from you. Where were you when Crosby scored?

February 28, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

Hobo Joe

========O This is supposed to be your Gold Medal, my artistry is limited in your comment box.

Wear it well. Wear it proud. Your team/country deserve it... and good fans/country people like yourself deserve it too. I know how much I wanted it, and it stings, but as a whole, your country will enjoy it way more. Maybe someday in my lifetime, the U.S. will embrace hockey a little more than it does now.

Congratulations to my U.S. team. Right now, the Silver may feel a bit tarnished but they'll look back proudly on doing so well in a tournament most didn't think they'd have much success at all in.

Good luck, enjoy, see you in Russia in four years, God willing.

February 28, 2010 @ 9:06 PM

Ryan

Mike, I was with you. The three of us collided like OV and Jagr.

What is wrong with your memory?

February 28, 2010 @ 9:14 PM

Alan G

I watched the winning goal in bed with my wife. At least Crosby scored!

February 28, 2010 @ 9:17 PM

The Goal

This is our 1972. This is our 1987. This is our goal.

February 28, 2010 @ 9:36 PM

brad

crosby's had a good year - stanley cup and gold medal

February 28, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

Steve

Where was I...

I was housesitting for my folks, so I was in a nice house full of free food and free beer. Good times, great memories.

February 28, 2010 @ 10:02 PM

CQ

Oops, I think I missed the goal as I was watching in 4/3 frame. Saw it afterwards from a behind the boards slow replay cam. The second Cdn goal was definitely clearer.
(thankfully the Hedleyback Plan stuff has given way.)

February 28, 2010 @ 10:56 PM

The_Voice

I was at home, wearing my 2002 Salt Lake City Canada Hoodie (figured it would be good luck), and cheered like crazy!

February 28, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

CQ

I DID miss the goal as it played in real-time (full-frame); USA's goaltender & net were offscreen!

March 1, 2010 @ 1:55 AM

Jordan Brantford

I watched it with the whole family, my heart sunk when the US scored their second goal, but when Sid scored I jumped on my feet and almost lost conscience my 17 year old brother jumped up and down the couch until he broke it (I guess the CTV commercial about needing a new couch after a goal is true afterall !) , it was an amazing feeling, I am a Proud Canadian from the Town of the greatest Hockey player of all times (Wayne Gretzky) the only thing that was hard to swallow in the past fairytale two weeks was the loss of our womens curling team after dominating their game and getting so close to winning twice.

March 1, 2010 @ 2:00 AM

Ajax Mike

I was at... work. *sigh*

March 1, 2010 @ 2:54 AM

mary

i am so proud to be canadian.

March 1, 2010 @ 6:14 AM

Mike from Lowville

I have to say I was hoping Nash would have scored the winner. At least Crosby got it in this time.

March 1, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

Chris in EY

How come we haven't apologized to the world as of yet for allowing nickelback into the closing ceremonies? These olympics started with the death of a luger and ended with the death of music.

At least the middle was good and tasty!

March 1, 2010 @ 10:00 AM

Pete

I was in the dressing room at the Powerade Centre getting ready for our last regular season game. The building shook and we knew Canada won. My wife called and confirmed and told us it was Crosby.

I had picked 3-2 in regulation with Iggy getting the game winner.

--Pete

March 1, 2010 @ 10:48 AM

chmilhouse

Hey Mike,

I was sitting at the 'T-Bar' at Panorama Ski Resort just up the mountain from Invermere B.C... mountains, beer and a gold medal. It didn't get any better! We have video of the roof going off the place after we scored in OT :)

March 1, 2010 @ 11:13 AM

@chmilhouse Throw that vid on YouTube and share the link!

March 1, 2010 @ 11:17 AM

Anonymous

Aaaand cue Russia crying:

"Doesn't it feel great to slam the door behind you as you walk out, stick up the middle finger using the palm of the left hand on the upper right forearm for extra leverage and blow a giant raspberry? That is exactly how it feels as Russia leaves Vancouver after disappointing Games with a question: was the Canadian ice hockey team on drugs?"

Source: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Olympics/2010Vancouver/Hockey/2010/03/01/13069661-qmi.html

March 1, 2010 @ 3:09 PM

Irvine

It's our game eh? The US beat us, the Slovaks came close and Crosby admitted it was a lucky shot.

Wow Mike, hockey is so important you'll remember it on your death bed. LOL, oh man.

PS, I didn't watch the game. I was working. Someone's gotta produce the wealth to keep Ontario afloat.

March 1, 2010 @ 3:27 PM

Marnie

Hey Mike

I was thinking of you when our house burst into screams as well!!

Incredible night. Even my dad who does not watch hockey was sitting in Florida, with his nitro patch on, nitro spray beside him and an oxygen tank just in case.

I had to call at the 24 second mark 3rd period to make sure he was still breathing.

What a night. What a Olympics!!

March 2, 2010 @ 9:04 AM

metricjulie

I was at Windsor Station in Montreal watching the game outside, in the snow, with a thousand people drinking Molson!

How Canadian is THAT?