Anne Mroczkowski and Laura DiBattista Out at Citytv

city tvLate last year, Jim McKenny was shown the door at Citytv. He had been doing sports for Citytv since 1984. Prior to that, Rogers had purged several other Citytv institutions, for better or worse. These included the NewMusic, Ed the Sock, Amber Mac, Silverman Helps and Speakers Corner.

Similar to Jim McKenny, Anne Mroczkowski has been serving up CityPulse and CityNews news at Citytv for what seems like forever. Here she is co-hosting CityPulse Tonight with Gord Martineau in 1985.

This morning there's been a lot of noise about big personnel changes at Citytv, including the release of Anne Mroczkowski and long-time correspondent Laura DiBattista. I try not to post these items based solely on rumours, so I've waited until at least one reliable source went on the record. That would be @stephaniesmyth who just tweeted the following:

Anne Mroczkowski, Laura DiBattista reportedly both gone from CITY TV, along with writers/producers/editors/camera people.

Mroczkowski will be missed. She always delivered the news with class, even when being berated by colleagues. Here's hoping everyone who's part of this latest Rogers purge of Citytv staples lands on their feet.

Mike from Lowville

A beautiful and talented woman who will certainly land on her feet. Best of luck Anne. Hope we still get to see you on the tube.

January 19, 2010 @ 10:44 AM

McNulty

I really liked both of them, those names (along with Gord's and Mark Dailey's) were always related to CITY.

It is too bad. It seems lots of good people are getting shown the door in TV this month.

Go Coco!

January 19, 2010 @ 10:48 AM

Ryan

i was never a fan of Anne's delivery and overall style, but yes, it sucks to lose a job nonetheless. She's probably been packaged out nicely from Rogers though.

I work in the industry and it's tough all over for folks in front of and behind the camera, which makes it tougher for those now unemployed who know nothing else but broadcasting. If it was me, i'd probably do something else completely if i couldn't land a gig somehwere in the industry.

January 19, 2010 @ 11:54 AM

Ted Rogers

Citytv Restructures Television Operations To Improve Business and Better Serve Audiences

TORONTO, Jan. 19 /CNW/ - Citytv announced today a restructuring of its television operations in order to focus on areas of the business that deliver the best results and better serve changing audience patterns.

"Today's changes, although difficult, are necessary to align our operations with the economic and regulatory realities of our industry," says Leslie Sole, CEO, Rogers Media Television. "We are improving our core business by tightening our operations and concentrating on the strengths of our top performing local programs."

Citytv will continue to produce Breakfast Television and CityLine for all markets and CityNews at Six and CityNews Tonight in Toronto. Shifting viewer patterns coupled with the overall state of the economy required the company to rethink its programming lineup.

"We believe in local television," commented Jamie Haggarty, EVP Television Operations, Rogers Media Television. "We remain committed to innovation and development of our stations to increase our impact on our local markets. We will focus on quality over quantity."

Citytv(TM) television stations in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg offer viewers intensely-local, urban-oriented, culturally-diverse television programming. A distinct alternative to other conventional television stations, Citytv engages its viewers with dynamic on-air personalities and delivers an entertaining mix of news, local-interactive formats such as: Breakfast Television and CityLine; as well as local Canadian and US acquired prime time entertainment programming. Citytv is a part of Rogers Broadcasting Limited, a division of Rogers Communications Inc. (TSX: RCI and NYSE: RCI) which is a diversified Canadian communications and media company. For more information on Citytv stations and programming, visit Citytv.com.

For further information: Veronica Logue, Rogers Media Television, (416) 764-3195, veronica.logue@rci.rogers.com; Koreen Ott, Rogers Media Television, (416) 764-3250, Koreen.ott@rci.rogers.com

January 19, 2010 @ 2:12 PM

MississaugaBlogger.com

More media folks bite the dust. Local TV isn't that about employing people?

A personal experience of me in the City TV newsroom circa 1986.

January 19, 2010 @ 2:13 PM

The Others

In addition to Anne and Lara, you can add Pam Seatle, Marian Dimain, Merella Fernandez, Farah Nasser and Michael Serapio.

And many, many behind the scences folks.

January 19, 2010 @ 2:15 PM

A

About 40 people total were let go by noon today...

Apparently OMNI TV will do most of the technical operations now and it looks like BNN (ROBTv) will be moving from their King St studios to 299 Queen West in either June or July.

If I was to chose my career path again, I swear I'd become a plumber or carpenter!

January 19, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

McNulty

So this how "We Support Local TV"?

What crap...more people out of jobs.

January 19, 2010 @ 2:51 PM

elvis

Mike - did you ever confirm McKenny was let go? Seems like the reasons for his departure are still up in the air.

January 19, 2010 @ 3:37 PM

I was told that Rogers opted not to renew his contract.

So he was definitely pushed.

January 19, 2010 @ 3:49 PM

Dizzy

Absolute bullshit. Anne's been there forever!

Who's next? The Voice (Mark Dailey) is shown the door?

January 19, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

Justin

Firing Anne Mrozkowzki is a crime. She's an excellent anchor, and has been there since 1978. Lara DiBattista has also been there for a very long time. Citytv let go of some good people today. The list now includes:

Anne Mroczkowski
Laura DiBattista
Pam Seatle
Marianne Dimain
Merella Fernandez
Farah Nasser
Michael Serapio

One thing I liked about city news is that they had a very diverse new team with lots of ethnicity. They got rid of some of that today. The other newscasts have mostly white people on-air. Nothing really wrong with that, just I liked how City News was so diverse.

January 19, 2010 @ 5:44 PM

andrew

Unbelievable with the # of those let go.
CITYTV is done as people watch for anchors & reporters who have been doing GREAT jobs since the 80's. Clean "house" & start afresh. Who watches the news - middle to older age people only & want to see those regulars. Much like Harold Hossein with weather.
CITYTV (Rogers) you lost a lot of your audience today for future.
Gord & Mark - make sure your resumes are ready for the next round.

January 19, 2010 @ 5:59 PM

Tim G

Liked Anne, and was getting excited seeing a beauty like Farah...that wedding dress piece was an awesome expose!

January 19, 2010 @ 6:48 PM

higgie

TYPICAL ROGERS
THEY WERE A--HOLES WHEN A HAD A MOBILE AND AGAIN WHEN I HAD CABLE WITH THEM
WHO IS NEXT?
THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE BALLS TO ANNOUNCE THESE CUTS ON THEIR OWN NEWSCAST
CITYTV AND ALL ROGERS STATIONS
HERE I GO
GLOBAL/CBC/TVO/BBCW

January 19, 2010 @ 7:07 PM

Bilal Ahmed

I can totally see Anne Mroczkowski anchoring the 6pm news cast with Leslie Roberts on Global News Toronto !

January 19, 2010 @ 7:09 PM

Sammi

They get rid of Anne and keep Jennifer Valentine?????

Moses must be going nuts watching what he built being torn down by idiots who have not idea what they are doing.

January 19, 2010 @ 8:03 PM

jerry J

typical Rogers
isnt it ironic that the SAME people who are fighting not to have to pay for broadcasting local tv are gutting their local news shows because of changing audience patterns?
too bad the CRTC can't/wont use rogers' own deeds against them.

January 19, 2010 @ 8:21 PM

Matt

Sorry that Anne got the axe.

Lara Di Battista and Jee-Yun Lee will not be missed.

January 19, 2010 @ 8:41 PM

Debbie

If Mark and Gord goes - I definately wont watch City anymore. I stay up just to watch Mark on the 11:00 news. We can always get rid of Kathryn Humphreys. I even get the impression sometimes that Mark Daly only tolerates her because he has too....yikes Just let Hugh do the sports

January 19, 2010 @ 8:45 PM

Terry

How is this supporting local tv? Anne was the classiest person at CityTv. Rogers should be embarassed. Will be watching any other station now.

January 19, 2010 @ 8:57 PM

Chuk

Like Queen Street West, CityTV went corporate. Bye bye so long, farewell.

January 19, 2010 @ 9:29 PM

Faunie

WOW - not nice! Will miss them all but other than for BT will be switching to Global.

January 19, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

Rogers sucks

I wondered how they'd play things out, but it looks like the bigwigs made them act like it's business as usual! I'd rather be in Haiti than suffering long drawn out unemployement anyday. Maybe broadcasting is suffering, but it's nothing like the IT field which has been descimated by this 'new economy'.

January 19, 2010 @ 9:53 PM

That Hamilton news channel

Anyone else notice that the woman host has a real resemblance to the 'clown' character on the Saw movies?

January 19, 2010 @ 9:56 PM

Rogers wins

Typical Rogers. Rogers has the ethics and values of a typical garden gnome. Do they even have a PR department? Then again it probably isn't necessary, thanks to the Canadian gov't the oligopoly in telecomm/tv services you really don't have to try to stand out from competitors. Rogers is in it for the bottom line (which was about $1 bil income last year I think... they really be hurting).

Ever since they bought CityTv it turned to pure trash. I remember when Ted Rogers died I think that was their top story for about a week. Then there's that weather anchor that is probably the most annoying person on TV, I change the channel when I see him. Weather is the 2nd top story of the day.

The only thing they have left is the personalities that remind you of the channel before Rogers... but looks like they are losing that too.

January 20, 2010 @ 3:54 AM

Anonymous

TRANSLATION: "The changes weren't really difficult at all because, honestly, I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of those people," says Lesley Sole, CEO, Rogers Media Television. "Here's the reality boys and girls: I need to make my number so I'll get my bonus. That's it. That's what matters. The easiest, laziest way to make that number is to cut salaries, and the biggest return on the cuts is to hack away the people who've been here the longest and make the most. But, you know, we're committed to our, uhm, community ... and ... uhm ... yeah, our employees are like family to us. Ahh never mind. I don't even believe my own words."

January 20, 2010 @ 4:51 AM

John

I can't believe CITY chopped the weekend news.

I guess nothing happens on the weekend in Toronto.

January 20, 2010 @ 8:34 AM

Wayner

Bottom line is that Rogers will still report a profit and that, after all, is what the shareholders want...City TV (Moses) was at the forefront of innovation and kept on top of changing viewer patterns. They were leaders in this regard. Unfortunately, innovation costs money and City-TV is not high on Rogers list of Priorities. I will expect more personnel changes when they continue to lose viewership...

January 20, 2010 @ 9:01 AM

Boomer

Agreed, crap. What an insulting statement. Everyone knows that you don't give a rats ass.

January 20, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

Wayner

How do they decide who goes and who stays? Is it by senority? audience appeal or a flip of the coin?

January 20, 2010 @ 11:34 AM

There's probably a risk - reward algorithm with a strong emphasis based on the talent's contract term and compensation. That or they throw darts against a dart board with pictures of the staff on it.

January 20, 2010 @ 12:12 PM

M.C.

This station needed some cleaning up.Now if you would just get rid of Jennifer Valentyne,Gord Martineau and annoying Tracey M on Cityline and the most annoying of all,Michael kuss

January 20, 2010 @ 3:40 PM

Walter Czornyj

This is what Rogers was planning the whole time. Everyone of you people on City are doomed by Rogers.

January 20, 2010 @ 4:53 PM

CW

Is anyone suprised? As soon as Rogers touches anything, bad things happen. They can't even tell me what cable services I pay for nevermind manage a media outlet. Typical big business, make a buck and screw the people!

January 20, 2010 @ 7:08 PM

So not City

I stopped watching City tv news about one year ago - i was bored and tired of watching Gord and Anne - i think this change will be eventually looked at as a spring day - I might even be tempted to check in to watch again, but if all i see is Gord I am so rogers tv remote up button out of there.

January 20, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Mariella

WHy did theu fire all the women adn what about the women on mat, leave they cant fire her as well, Sounds like they are back in the dark ages

January 20, 2010 @ 9:48 PM

Mariella

WHy did theu fire all the women and what about the women on mat, leave they cant fire her as well, Sounds like they are back in the dark ag

January 20, 2010 @ 9:50 PM

Danno

I agree with the comment in the Star, from a source at the station itself - nobody has any vision and the bean-counters have taken over.
The same sad situation that exists in other industries too. Noone should wonder why businesses are floundering when stupid, short-sighted decisions like this are being made and justified with double-speak!

January 20, 2010 @ 11:15 PM

Robert

I was absolutely shocked last night when I heard the news that these two awesome women had been let go from the staff of Citytv. I can't believe that the station made such an inane decision to release two of their most seasoned personalities. I hope that both women rebound from this -- with even greater television presence.

To Anne and Lara: best of luck, both of you! Hope to see you both on TV again soon!

January 21, 2010 @ 3:08 PM

Alan Gee

I've watched CITY since its inception. Of all Toronto TV stations it was the one station that truly reflected the city. For years it was fresh and had attitude. Now its a mere shell of what it used to be, a lot of that due to the greediness of Rogers. Ann, Laura, Pam and so many others are class acts and will be sorely missed. I wish them all well.

January 21, 2010 @ 8:48 PM

Tamara

All the women - figures!

January 22, 2010 @ 9:02 PM

Anonymous

I can't believe they fired all the best news people out there, the top people, Anne, was a great news anchor with tons of class and getting all the news and story with a clear strong confidence message, and what a great reporter Pam was for Citynews. What a great loss this will be for the City of Toronto, Its all about business, they all got fired these great news reporters to keep Jennifer reporting on how donuts are made ???....please, if Gord and Mark leave I am definately switching to GlOBAL !!!

January 23, 2010 @ 9:52 PM

Jen

To package it up as Rogers did really proves that they really do feel that we are all suckers and have no idea who the true City tv audience is. Missing the Moses Znaimer days, a true media innovator.
So long Rogers!

January 26, 2010 @ 8:17 PM

outside storage sheds

I attempted to make a statement like this one time, but I did not get a very uplifting reply. I'm hoping your thoughts on this topic turns out better than mine did. Keep up the good work.

February 1, 2010 @ 5:35 PM

Anonymous

Switching to Global - Anne you were the best news anchor!

February 1, 2010 @ 10:26 PM

il campionissimo

Anne really didnt do anything.she was just collecting a fat paycheck.

February 1, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

anon

Way to go Rogers! Not only do you mess up on my cable, internet and cell phone bill every month, but you axe some great talent from a great station.

Guess I should finally just axe you guys as well.. along with your childish business practices. My 13 year old brother could probably run Rogers better then the monkeys you have working there now!

February 2, 2010 @ 12:36 PM

truedat

The best way to protest this is to drop rogers services and let them know why when you do it. I'm going get rid of my cell phone and which to a different company....this was the straw that broke the camels back.

February 3, 2010 @ 12:19 PM

m

I cannot tolerate the majority of the personalities that remain at CP24, so I always choose to watch CityNews instead. Now, with all these changes in the wrong direction, I am likely going to switch to Global. Rogers has destroyed a good thing. Best of luck to the people who are no longer with City.

February 3, 2010 @ 2:15 PM

j kearns

it still hurts I grew up watching pam and lara they were pros and dam sexy! hope you gals can come back to us some day

February 6, 2010 @ 11:04 PM

jkearns

oops forgot to put annes name in love all you gals

February 6, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

chico fente

good ridance to all of em. Welcome to the real world u greedy rosedale living turds.

February 9, 2010 @ 3:57 AM

CB

$$ is blatantly Roger’s FOCUS, MISSION AND VISION going forward. Buyer beware as Rogers is a "dark horse". We have recently cancelled our cable service with Rogers - after 15+ years. Currently we are viewing HD TV via an antenna we just installed on the roof. No specialty cable shows, but the clarity of the picture is better, and it’s FREE.

February 9, 2010 @ 9:13 AM

Anonymous

I am very sorry that Laura DI battista and Anne Mroczkowski and the rest of Citytv personalities were let go. They were so good and i look forward to seeing them everyday so sad. what is the world coming to no jobs. They don't have new at 12:00 any more. I hope they will get another job they are smart people. some that work there should be gone not them. i wish you both the best and i pray you both get jobs

March 8, 2010 @ 2:53 PM

Mitch

I was the one who posted info about Anne's new gig on her wikipedia page a little while back, however it was deleted after Anne's CBC "The Current" interview, where she said that she doubted that she would have another career on camera. However, sources of mine have told me that Anne will be on camera once again "in less than 3 weeks." So, it looks like the odds of seeing Anne back SOMEWHERE by the end of April is quite likely.

April 10, 2010 @ 11:53 AM

Rogers suxx

If Rogers is involved, you know it's going to hurt you!
Looks like they got rid of the bright ones, but are keeping the dumber, annoying and self-affected ones like Valentine. I mean, dumb AND no talent.. similar to a few other personalities at CP24 (ie. Sharma)and Much(ie. Belchor).
I have to say though, that Rogers is only keeping up with the true MSM(mainstream media) trend as of the last decade. Eliminating quality, perpetuating banality, and dumbing down the people. Remember 95% of the media is now owned by 6 corporations. Have a nice day!

April 11, 2010 @ 1:25 PM

Callie

i'm not sorry to see either anne m or laura d gone. i could never understand why anne adopted that ridiculous delivery when she was reporting on the "hard hitting" stuff - in fact, mirella f started doing just that, herself, so i think it was for the best to nip that in the bud before it spread any further. in my opinion, laura d was a medical "terrorist" in that she like to scare the crap out of people before actually getting to the heart of the story where you then found out that it really isn't all that bad - guess it didn't make for "must-see t.v." without her particular slant. good riddance! get rid of BT's kevin (i don't care what you think - just gimme the news) and maybe i'll go back to watching that cause lord knows "annie" rohmer and steve whathisface over on CP24 are way too annoying that early in the a.m.

April 16, 2010 @ 2:01 PM

gerard

i have seen citytv gone down the tubes in years ,its has reached a point of just doing awatwith the channel all together

April 26, 2010 @ 8:00 PM

Winston

The only dud on CityTv is the "Larry King" wannabe aka Kevin Frankish. This guy couldn't buy a real job in the real world. Biggest suckup I've seen in my life. Get rid of him and hire younger new talent...there's lots out there!

November 3, 2011 @ 7:40 AM

Natalie

All the familiar faces at CITY TV are gone; replaced primarily by corporate butt kissers. The emphasis seems to be on the weather and even then, the weatherpersons are seldom correct. I'm fed up with creeping Rogerism. Soon we'll all be watching Kent Brockman wannabes (sorry, Kent Brockman).

December 21, 2011 @ 12:14 AM

IMHO

Laura DiBattista is terrible as host of Here and Now on CBC Radio One.

Here and Now used to be great with Matt Galloway, but now it's dumbed down with Laura DiBattista.

Just my two cents.

February 7, 2012 @ 5:03 PM

Jim

Now please get rid of Rohmer Valentyne and Dina

There MUST be some REAL Talent somewhere in Toronto

I've never been any type of fan of City or CP24 and I prefer to watch what I consider to be true Professionalism on CBS News with Scott Pelley actually....

So much for Canadian "content" LOL

October 4, 2012 @ 4:30 PM

CBC axes Laura DiBattista as host of Here and Now

Veteran broadcaster Laura DiBattista is out as host of CBC’s current affairs radio program, Here and Now, a spokesperson has confirmed.

DiBattista was an on-air presence at City TV for 26 years before she was let go from that station in January 2010 along with a number of other long-time broadcasters, including Anne Mroczowski. She began hosting the afternoon radio show on Jan. 3, 2011.

DiBattista told listeners she was “moving on” during her last show as host on Thursday, Nov. 1.

“We were looking to make some changes to that program. She (DiBattista) had a good run for two years. It’s not uncommon in this industry to have a hosting change, it comes with the territory,” said CBC spokesperson Chuck Thompson.

“We’ll begin a search for a new host immediately,” Thompson added.

DiBattista, a long-time Toronto resident, could not be reached for comment.

November 2, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

In other words

Laura DiBattista fired from CBC's Here and Now.

November 2, 2012 @ 7:17 PM