My Rogers Phone Doesn't Work in an Elevator

phoneFor the past couple of years I've seen that Rogers ad where the guy is able to continue a conversation on his cell while riding the elevator. The one schlub's call gets dropped while the cool guy keeps talking... You know the ad.

I have a Blackberry with service from Rogers and my calls don't survive elevator rides. Those Rogers ads are big fat lies.

Steve

Mine doesn't either. Sometimes it survives, but not in any kind of worthwhile way since I spend the entire call going "What?" only to have the person on the other end respond with "What?" My phone also doesn't like my building's laundry room for some reason either.

Rogers being disingenuous? I, for one, am shocked!

October 8, 2009 @ 3:24 PM

Mississauga Mike

My Bell phone doesn't work in my house (in suburban second floor Mississauga). I literally go outside and make phone calls, rain or shine, night or day.

October 8, 2009 @ 4:12 PM

Rick

My Rogers cell drops calls in elevators at least 90% of the time. The 10% that survive have lousy reception. Rogers sucks.

October 8, 2009 @ 5:01 PM

Pension Plan Puppets

It's a load of crap. Like Rick said, it's about 90/10.

One of the 10 percent happened the other day when I was talking to a friend the other day and the call dropped. I turned to the other person in the elevator to tell them what a piece of crap that Rogers commercial was. When I spoke to my friend she said she could hear me complaining but of course I couldn't hear shit.

October 8, 2009 @ 5:48 PM

jack

yes i agree, its only following a "strong marketing and rip-off strategy"

October 8, 2009 @ 6:40 PM

James Edgar

Lies in Avertizing???? No That's not possible.

October 8, 2009 @ 6:47 PM

elvis

I can't believe I'm going to defend Rogers here but you haven't given all the facts here Mike - you have an ancient brick of a Blackberry which is not on the 3G network.

At least be fair.

October 8, 2009 @ 7:50 PM

I have a Blackberry Curve - I don't know what network and all that jazz. I do know it's not that old...

October 8, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

I Don't Like Rogers...

...but I've never lost a call in an elevator yet. Remember though, it is a radio signal and it will vary with the structure. Think about radio reception as you drive into an underground parking garage - sometimes it drops immediately, sometimes it'll go down a couple of levels with you. It depends what it has to penetrate.

And while I'm here, cell service is just fine below ground level in Scotia Plaza. And even underground on the mine tour at Dynamic earth in Sudbury (alright, they use a relay system there!).

October 8, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Jay

I've got a curve on the Telus network. As much as Rogers pushes their services, I have not had a problem with Telus in the last 8 years I've been them. I can be in an elevator or parking garage and still get reception.

October 10, 2009 @ 12:39 PM