Maple Leafs 4, Canadiens 5 (Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye)

LeafsI normally don't recap Leafs games until the morning after, to gain a little perspective, but I need to write this recap tonight.

I hate the Montreal Canadiens. I hate the franchise, but mostly I hate the fans. With the Habs leading 4-2 late in the third period, the fans started singing "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye". This wasn't the clinching game of a playoff series, this was a early regular season game and they were up by two. But they started singing "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" anyway.

While they were singing "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye", Alexei Ponikarovsky scored to bring us within one. DGB tweeted that it should count double. It may as well have, because the Leafs weren't done yet.

With less than a minute to play, and Toskala on the bench for the extra attacker, Tomas Kaberle tied it up. We got our point, and if there was such a thing as karma, we'd have got another. Habs fans and their stupid premature and inappropriate "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" suck.

And you know what else sucks? Those butt ugly retro Montreal jerseys I had to stare at all night. Are they barber shop poles? Is it Where's Waldo on ice? It's tough to look at them, that's for sure. I'm still feeling dizzy. Those are the worst jerseys I've ever seen.

And one more thing that really sucks is shootouts. I hate them. Let's get rid of them. Tonight's game should have ended in a tie.

This song is dedicated to Habs fans everywhere who sing it while up by two in the third period of a regular season game in October. I hope you choke on it.

EmmEff

I hear ya, man.

A loss is a loss. It hurts more when it's to those bastards.

October 31, 2009 @ 10:27 PM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I hate the shoot-out.

October 31, 2009 @ 10:30 PM

Gary

November 1, 2009 @ 12:23 AM

Al

You're wrong Mike, this game shouldn't have ended in a tie. There is no place for ties in pro sports. The Leafs should have received 0 points tonight. I hate the stupid single point for a tie. Get rid of points altogether and just go to win%.

November 1, 2009 @ 12:41 AM

Hey Gary ya jerk, "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" is the name of the song.

November 1, 2009 @ 8:47 AM

jakc

In the interest of international relations, I decided to be a Leafs fan this year. I mean, it's time to for them to win a Cup, and I figured it couldn't be any worse than rooting for the Cubs. There's a kind of "next year in Jerusalem" vibe; the Cubs have been losers for so long that no one really expects the Cubs to win. But rooting for the Leafs man, well I understand why Leafs fans must pray for the sweet relief of death

November 1, 2009 @ 12:52 PM

A.R.

"It's not 'kiss him goodbye'.....it's 'hey hey goodbye'. Can you at least get the lyrics right??"

That's the title of the song. Montreal has too many immature fans, but sometimes they provide entertainment, like when the Habs inevitably lose in the playoffs and they start riots.

November 1, 2009 @ 2:32 PM

Steve G

as a neutral, this debate reminds me of 2 old men, talking about who had the hotter girlfriend when they were kids:

Leaves fans must be thinking of public school, when there were only 5 other girls, so it wasn't that big a deal to be the best.

Habs supporters can at least think of high school, when the classes were a little bigger and they were dating the prom queen a couple of times.

November 1, 2009 @ 4:05 PM

Mike from Lowville

:0)

November 1, 2009 @ 5:54 PM

Cheryl

I want to say I am happy. I live in Toronto, but am a Habs fan. That's just the way it is. I love my Habs and I also like the Phoenix Coyotes. I hate the Leafs.

November 1, 2009 @ 7:18 PM

Mike from Lowville

Cheryl, my kind of woman.....I think.........you are a woman........right?

November 1, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

Argie

Cheryl,

When are you going back to live in Montreal?

I mean if you love the Habs, why live here?

November 1, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

Mike from Lowville

Argie, if every Leaf Fan lived in Toronto, it would be a ghost town.

November 2, 2009 @ 7:20 AM

Cheryl

I don't live in Montreal. I decided to be a Habs fan when I was growing up and am always a Habs fan. I have every right to be a Habs fan. That's just the way it is. Yes, I'm a woman and am new to posting here.

November 2, 2009 @ 6:36 PM

Krista Z

the Hab are a wonderful team.... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

Here's hoping tonight is a win for the leafs!

November 3, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

David

Every day the Leafs lose is a good day. 3-11-6... I guess I gotta by happy with that.

November 20, 2009 @ 2:48 PM

Habsfan

The only proper use for a Leafs jersey is to wipe the mud off my shoes.

March 13, 2010 @ 8:10 PM

Habsfan83

Poor little thing, your team lost and you didn't like it... Don't worry, mommy will make it all better.

August 23, 2010 @ 11:58 AM

Habinator

It's gotta be tough to hate the best team in hockey! Loser Leafs fan!

December 8, 2010 @ 3:28 PM