My First Composite Stick

PuckWhen I returned to playing hockey after a 21-year absence, I bought myself a wooden stick for $9.99 at Canadian Tire. That stick lasted me until last Friday when it finally broke.

When a wood stick lasts you almost five months, it's a good indication you don't have much of a slap shot and it's a rec league. Both are true, but it was $9.99 well spent. I got fifteen goals out of that sucker, but some things aren't built to last.

Today, I bought my first composite stick. I found a good two-for-$99.99 deal and found a buddy to go in with me. I'm told it's worth the fifty bucks... we'll see tonight when I break it in.

It's a Nike Bauer Hockey Vapor XII Senior Composite Ice Hockey Stick- 87 Flex with an Eric Lindros curve, in case you want to tell me now that I just threw away $50.

vapor

Chemmy

Nothing wrong with lower end composite sticks, but they aren't noticeably lighter or better than wood sticks.

Two for $99 isn't bad, but when you need a stick after that I'd just grab a Sherwood 5030. It's wood, pretty light, pretty cheap, and will do you just fine in a rec league.

March 6, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

chris

Played hockey all my life & $50 for a "Cheap" composite stick? You should have bought 3 or so wooden sticks at $10 each & that would have been enough for the season in your rec league.
I buy 4 or 5 wooden sticks at the end of hockey season at a discounted price, enough for the next year. Most players in our league don't use composite as they say no feel on the handle & break frequently.
Good Luck. Back to WOOD.

March 6, 2009 @ 7:13 PM

Toronto Mike

Chris, we don't use wood tennis racquets any more, do we?

I want to try a composite stick to see if there's a difference. This thing is guaranteed for 30 days, so I'll ride it hard the next four weeks and see if it helps my game.

If I can't tell the difference, I'll happily go back to a wood stick next time.

March 6, 2009 @ 7:16 PM

chris

It was just a personal thing. I tried them a few years ago & was not happy. Since they're guaranteed I'll bet you will be taking at least 1 back in the next 2-3 weeks.

Tennis is another sport which has eliminated wood, what 20 years ago. Not the same comparison as hockey. Problem with wooden tennis rackets was the warpage factor.

Dosen't baseball still use wooden bats?

March 6, 2009 @ 7:37 PM

Toronto Mike

Yes, but only in the majors. All other levels have left wooden bats behind.

I'll play a couple of games and then post my composite vs. wood hockey stick comparative study.

March 6, 2009 @ 7:40 PM

chris

Only in the majors?

Ont. Baseball Assoc. have Midget players (15 years old) & older divisions use wood bats only for many years.

Metal bats tend to split or break more than wood.

Good luck with your new shtick.

March 6, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

andrew

You just wasted $ on a cheap composite.

March 6, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Chris/Andrew, you're not allowed to trash the purchase under two different names.

That's like stuffing the ballot box.

March 6, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

chris

Too bad John Tory didn't STUFF the ballot box.
Your shtick will break very soon.

March 6, 2009 @ 11:42 PM

Mike from Lowville

Wood only for me! Wasted $80.00 on the "new and improved" import and broke it way to early for the money. I still use my 3 year old wooden. Hey Mike, when you say "I'll ride it hard" if you mean turning it back wards, between your legs and sitting on it, don't do it! I swear thats why mine broke before it's expiration date! ;O)

March 7, 2009 @ 8:49 AM

Toronto Mike

It took me 30 minutes to get used to the weight. This thing is so much lighter than my wood stick. I couldn't get the feel for it.

After 30 minutes, I realized a few things.

1. Stick handling seemed tougher without that feel. I think I missed the weight.

2. My passes seemed crisper.

3. My wrist shot was snappier.

I'll give it another game before I write my comparative analysis, but it's quite possible my next stick will be wood again.

March 7, 2009 @ 11:53 AM

chris

Told YA. Been there done that. Wood rules.

March 7, 2009 @ 1:29 PM

Toronto Mike

Like I said, I'll give it another game or two before passings judgement.

The feel is very different, and it's soooo much lighter.

March 7, 2009 @ 1:32 PM

Roshan

Nice stick. I've only used a field hockey stick - I played for 6 months in school when I was 14.

Do the pros all use composite?

March 11, 2009 @ 10:46 PM

Hank Lee

Haha, just came across this site because I am a hockey newbie and wanted some help with wood versus affordable composite.

As I was reading through the comments I saw the line "Metal bats tend to split or break more than wood." from chris.

Obviously this guy sniffs glue!

Although I am a hockey newbie, I played baseball all my life, and I can tell you this: I have never seen an aluminum bat crack or break ... with the exception of the time as adults we were using a child aluminum bat in a homerun derby.

As for wooden bats, they break constantly. If you buy Ash bats, you can break a few in a single game. Maple bats are denser and last longer, but still break in time. Aluminum? Never break or crack, ever.

So, what do you think of your Composite now?

March 24, 2010 @ 2:22 PM

@Hank

I'm winding down my second season with the composite, and it's still intact. It took me a few games to get used to the feel - I felt the puck better with the wood which I believe helped my stick handling, but once I got used to the composite I was hooked.

It's got tonnes of nicks and scratches, but she's still in one piece!

March 24, 2010 @ 2:28 PM

Mark

what make and model did you get? the major issue with composite sticks is consistency. a minor defect and the stick will explode (break) with a shot or slash. It is the reason for the 30 day guarantee. Also you can damage it, but won't notice right away and will become surprised when it does break on something you are convinced shouldn't break the stick. Other than that and the price point, they are pretty good.

September 24, 2011 @ 4:30 PM