Steven Page Goes Solo

newsSteven Page is no longer a member of the Barenaked Ladies. Along with Ed Robertson, Steven Page was a key voice in this band, which will go on recording without him. He's the vocalist on "Brian Wilson" for goodness sake!

From the official BNL site.

A MESSAGE FROM BARENAKED LADIES

By mutual agreement, Steven Page will be parting company with the remaining members of Barenaked Ladies. Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn, Ed Robertson, and Tyler Stewart will continue recording and touring together as Barenaked Ladies. Steven Page will pursue solo projects including theatrical opportunities while the band enters the studio in April 2009, and hits the road in the fall.

Page says "These guys are my brothers. We've grown up together over the past twenty years. I love them and wish them all the best in the future."

The band also wish Steven well in all of his endeavors. Ed Robertson says: "It's the start of a new chapter for all of us. Here's to the future!"

Everyone is looking forward to making new music and thanks their fans for their support.

Hey Ladies, we spell it "endeavours" up here. Never forget your roots.

Roshan

That's a damn shame. I hate this.

February 25, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

Toronto Mike

It doesn't really matter to me. I haven't thought much of BNL since Rock Spectacle. I think "One Week" ruined everything.

But still, BNL came outta Toronto over 20 years ago, and it's a shame to see them break-up.

February 25, 2009 @ 10:50 AM

Wayner

the shelf life of BNL is now up for debate...Steve had some very strong vocals. I'm not so sure that it can be replaced...or the interplay between Steve & Ed in concert...

February 25, 2009 @ 11:23 AM

Alison

I wonder how "mutual" it really was?

February 25, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

Toronto Mike

There's no way this is mutual. Does Eddie Vedder leave Pearl Jam to do a solo tour and record a solo album? Does Mick leave the Stones to do the same? Does Gord Downie leave the Hip to work on his own stuff?

Steve was pushed. Fred's got it right at Canadian Thinker.

February 25, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

Kirsten

I was afraid after the drug charges that this would happen, and it makes me ill thinking that BNL is no more, at least not the way it's been.

I remember moving to KS in 1998, and having my KS friends tell me about this "great new song they just heard, and OMG it's so funny."

It was "If I had $1,000,000".

They were heartbroken when I told them I'd been singing that song since 1992.

February 25, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

No, I highly doubt it was mutual.

(I knew this post would be here. Good on you Mike).

Anyway, you know, I'm not a huge fan of the band but I have a lot of fond memories of them and the Humble and Fred Xmas shows on CFNY and how they won the New Music Search and I don't think there is any doubt that these guys have talent. That has been obvious since the yellow tape.

I still remember the high school girls who rocked the 'Gordon' hats and swooned for the barenakedladies

Soon, to me, they became a little 'meh' but they still managed to, at least, have one really catchy tune per album.

The references to Toronto were always neat, especially after they achieved success beyond Canada. i.e. '..we bought an old house on the danforth..'

Ahh well. I think it's another chapter and they can always just stick to making kids albums if nothing else gels.

I've heard the "Alphabet Song" (sic) on that kids album they did and it's really great.

February 25, 2009 @ 6:06 PM

Annemarie

*shakes head* re "endeavors".

Ed is no Steven but he will carry the band.

I think I'd want to branch out & do my own stuff as well.

It's always good not to overstay your welcome. :)

Steven will be great in theatre.

February 26, 2009 @ 12:21 AM

Stephanie Wilkinson

I really wasn't surprised. I've seen them a few times over the year (flashes BNL Fanclub card) but I also saw them when they played Massey Hall before Christmas. I knew then it wasn't going to last. Steven seemed different. I still love the Ladies and always will. They'll make it work. Kevin's talents will come out here I think....

February 26, 2009 @ 7:49 AM