Toronto Radio Stations of Choice

RadioI've always loved radio. Although I have ten stations preset in my car stereo, there are only a few I actually visit.

This is an update to something I wrote over five years ago. Also, if you're interested, here's my Toronto morning show history, written before I had ever exchanged a word with Humble or Fred.

102.1 the Edge

Love it or hate it, my ideal music list plays on CFNY. It's actually been that way for as long as I can remember. I just wish they'd play more tunes in the morning, because it's the music that keeps me coming back.

CBC Radio One

It might sound corny, but I feel smarter when listening to good 'ol CBC Radio One at 99.1. Andy Barrie does a fantastic job in the morning, but the programming is pretty interesting all day long.

CBC Radio Two

I've been tuning in CBC Radio Two at 94.1 during mornings and afternoons because there are no ads and you never know what tune you're going to hear. This change might have pissed off the classical music folks, but it's made me happy. The hosts share interesting tid-bits too, and talk just enough.

92.5 JACK FM

I've also been sampling 92.5 since they became rock focused, and it's pretty good if you just want a rock variety. This morning I heard them come out of old school Bryan Adams and dive into Nirvana. Needless to say, I was singing along.

97.3 EZRock

I drop by 97.3 for one reason and one reason only. I like to check in on my pal Humble.

THE FAN 590

A man needs sports scores and updates and a little Bobcat now and then.

AM640

Leaf games and the best talk radio host in the city (Mike Stafford) get me going to 640 now and then.

That's about it. Once in a blue moon I pop over to 680 and I used to check out Q107 now and then, but I now prefer 92.5 to 107.1. What are your Toronto stations of choice?

Buffalo Boy Mike

I would have to say my Toronto stations would go
102.1
107.1
AM 640
590
and I have been checking into 97.3 lately as well
Other than those I listen to a lot of WGR 550 in Buffalo and AM 1520.
We are lucky here in Buffalo to be able to get two sides of a story. We can always tune into Toronto media to get a different and more often than not, a more interesting view on various stories.

December 16, 2008 @ 5:07 PM

Chad Nuttall

Radio?

Was that before or after "records"?

;P

C

December 16, 2008 @ 5:11 PM

shane alexander

Mike. Good selections. Haven't been able to check out CBC yet. Haven't listened to the EDGE in a few years. However, I do listen to Howard in the morning and do check out 640 throughout the day - esp. for Stafford. But the problem with them is that they do too much hockey stuf which is why I end up always heading back to CFRB. 'RB, and Jack and sometimes a bit of Virgin is good enough for me.

December 16, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Horonymous

AM 640 & Sirius.
In times of crisis CBC Radio ONE.

December 16, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Here's my Toronto radio morning show history

- Humble and Fred
- retired from morning radio

- Breakfast TV

December 16, 2008 @ 6:54 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I'm just going to add that I like Rich Terfry on CBC2 Drive quite a lot when I have a chance to listen

December 16, 2008 @ 6:55 PM

James Edgar

Mike all your Choices and occasionally Q107 in the morning. Sometimes if the wifes driving Chum FM which I absolutly HATE.

December 16, 2008 @ 8:25 PM

A.R.

I think those are great choices. I add Q107, Jazz 91, and our local campus radio stations for being less inclined to censor music.

I also heard that Global broadcasts an audio feed of their programming on regular radio. It's supposedly on 87.7 FM. It seems like it could be a useful and entertaining preset if driving somewhere and you want to listen to your favourite show or the news.

December 17, 2008 @ 2:08 AM

elvis

Q107 and The FAN.

CFNY sucks hard.

December 17, 2008 @ 6:20 AM

James Edgar

You know when CFNY is great? The strombo show. It's not as structured as the programming normally is and I find it entertaining. I wish i could listen more often.

December 17, 2008 @ 9:14 AM

elvis

CFNY is great because of 3 hours on Sunday night? Wow. Yah, sorry, great station.

Sorry man, CFNY lost its way long ago.

December 17, 2008 @ 10:08 AM

Stafford

Thanks for the mention Mike! I'm dialed into 1050 CHUM just to hear the least likely songs they would never play during their reign as Top 40 kings.

Honestly, I burn CD's from iTunes (the car doesn't have an MP3 jack) and hit the traffic when I need it.

Which everybody else does and I'll be selling gabagool at the Loblaws meat counter in Leaside next year.

Merry Christmas to your family by the way. Keep up the great work on Toronto Mike.

December 17, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

A.R.

Bad news...my car's dial doesn't go as low as 87.7, just to 88.1. I guess I won't be enjoying Global in the car.

December 17, 2008 @ 10:06 PM

James

I listen to The Fan a lot. I think Bob McCown is the best radio host in the city. I like listening to the Jays as well.

I don't listen to 640, it seems like a waste of talent to me. Oakley and Stafford are great, but the format is a little boring/dry in my opinion (no fault of theirs). The Watters show is very uninteresting to me - we're not in North Bay or something - there are more sporting issues to talk about than just hockey and how the Leafs played last night.

I don't usually bother with music on the radio anymore. I used to love old CFNY.

December 19, 2008 @ 1:49 PM